Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:13 pm

Citation needed.

Originally Posted by kayjay
Why is there such a need for instant gratification. What would have happened if aapplicants had waited for the e-mail or snail mail response from Citi and than called if declined. All of this calling and puffery on this thread have sensitized Citi to the point where somebody is saying enough is enough.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by kannon99
Some data points for the cause.

Just applied for 2.

Link # 1 Visa (went to chat screen after I submitted) Approved and moved some credit from one of my HH cards.

Link # 4 Amex Went to needs further review (will not call)

More data (posted this a page back)

Applied for 2 HHonors cards on 10/12
Applied for AA Amex Card and AA Business Card on 6/11. The AA Amex was closed on 7/12. AA Business is still open.

Hope this helps.
Question, did you submit at exactly the same time? Did the chat rep see the Amex app?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 3:38 pm

I clicked Visa then two secs later Amex, rep said nothing about Amex
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckkl
Question, did you submit at exactly the same time? Did the chat rep see the Amex app?
The chat rep should be able to see it. I actually got the SAME chat rep on the chat of AMEX and Visa a bit over 3 weeks ago.

When I applied over 3 weeks ago, both Visa and AMEX got to Step 5 Summary Screen with chat links. I clicked the AMEX first and the chat rep asked me the App ID - which I did not write down and the original screen timed out so I lost it. While I was given him personal data to look up my app, I clicked the Visa chat link, and the SAME rep answered... I was like $%v&... but he did not have any problem with it other than asked me if I applied both Visa and AMEX. I said Yes because I NEEDED a Visa and an AMEX. He said OK, then said to close the AMEX window and just worked thru the Visa chat window. He approved both on conditions of reallocating lines. We were done in 5 minutes.

But it was over 3 weeks ago so one cannot count on it - just that if you have chat link on both apps, the chat rep definitely can see both if he/she go look. And if you are as (un)lucky as me, you would wound up with same chat rep!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:27 pm

Hi Guys quick question....

In order to get the bonus offer does the first closing statement has to have the initial expected balance? or is that amount has to be spent? I am asking this to make sure if it OK to pay the charges before the statement?

appreciate the input.

Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The chat rep should be able to see it. I actually got the SAME chat rep on the chat of AMEX and Visa a bit over 3 weeks ago.

When I applied over 3 weeks ago, both Visa and AMEX got to Step 5 Summary Screen with chat links. I clicked the AMEX first and the chat rep asked me the App ID - which I did not write down and the original screen timed out so I lost it. While I was given him personal data to look up my app, I clicked the Visa chat link, and the SAME rep answered... I was like $%v&... but he did not have any problem with it other than asked me if I applied both Visa and AMEX. I said Yes because I NEEDED a Visa and an AMEX. He said OK, then said to close the AMEX window and just worked thru the Visa chat window. He approved both on conditions of reallocating lines. We were done in 5 minutes.

But it was over 3 weeks ago so one cannot count on it - just that if you have chat link on both apps, the chat rep definitely can see both if he/she go look. And if you are as (un)lucky as me, you would wound up with same chat rep!
Crazy. I'm assuming you did both via link 1? I'm wondering if doing link 1 and 4 might avoid that situation.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by woow14610
Hi Guys quick question....

In order to get the bonus offer does the first closing statement has to have the initial expected balance? or is that amount has to be spent? I am asking this to make sure if it OK to pay the charges before the statement?

appreciate the input.

Thanks
It is not the balance on the card, but the amount spent.

You can pay it off before the statement or after the statment, but before the due date and you will not incur interest.

You points will accrue on what you spend on the card (unless you make a purchase and take it back, then they may deduct that amount of points back off the earned reward miles/points).

and..........
you have so many days to meet the spend to earn the bonus (i.e. 2 months, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc. ) ; whatever the T&C for that card bonus states.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckkl
Crazy. I'm assuming you did both via link 1? I'm wondering if doing link 1 and 4 might avoid that situation.
It does not matter which link you use. What makes you think that? They are all AA cards if the new policy is to prevent getting same product, the conditions to earn bonuses do not matter.

On top of that, the chat reps often dont even know what the offer conditions are. They generally would direct you to call customer service after you receive the card for any question you have on the offer. The chat rep's job is to see if you are approvable, and what are needed to get that done. In 99% of the cases if your app has reached this far, i.e. having a chat link to prompt you to chat, you are approvable, just a matter of the final details need to look at, and the most common type is the need to reallocation credit lines.

Link 1 is only "revived" a few days ago. Before they were dead links, not available at the time I applied.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
It does not matter which link you use. What makes you think that? They are all AA cards if the new policy is to prevent getting same product, the conditions to earn bonuses do not matter.

On top of that, the chat reps often dont even know what the offer conditions are. They generally would direct you to call customer service after you receive the card for any question you have on the offer. The chat rep's job is to see if you are approvable, and what are needed to get that done. In 99% of the cases if your app has reached this far, i.e. having a chat link to prompt you to chat, you are approvable, just a matter of the final details need to look at, and the most common type is the need to reallocation credit lines.

Link 1 is only "revived" a few days ago. Before they were dead links, not available at the time I applied.
That makes sense, for some reason I had it in my head that the app process was somewhat different.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
edit: found it!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:37 pm

Applied for wife after she was approved for the card, but didn't meet the address verification requirements in Nov. Def approved for one (altho it said pending, then approved...) then pending, I think, on second. woo hoo.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:01 am

My experience:

Applied for Link 1 personal Visa and Link 4 AmEx seconds apart using the 2 browser trick (clicked Visa first, then AmEx).

AmEx application loaded nearly instantly, reviewing application and will be notified via e-mail. (I'll wait it out and report back...)

Visa application took a few moments to load, instant approval.

FWIW, these are my first Citi cards, and first AA branded cards, my last app was SPG AMEX 4 months ago.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:22 am

Looking for advice { also please let me know if I should post this at another thread as well }: Per earlier post my wife applied using 2BM to the citicards; Amex approved, the Visa is awaiting email response. She considers applying for the Chase cards.
(a) which would be the best? Is it Sapphire 40K points and United Freedom 50K points at the branch?
(b) what is better (in terms of effect on credit, and probability of approvals): Apply right away, before the new card(s) appear on credit report, or wait ?? days, in order not to have two credit inquiries close to each other?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:07 am

Programs: AA Plat
Is the 2 browser trick still working as far as only having your credit get run once?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 5:09 am
wcj

(a) which would be the best? Is it Sapphire 40K points and United Freedom 50K points at the branch?
(b) what is better (in terms of effect on credit, and probability of approvals): Apply right away, before the new card(s) appear on credit report, or wait ?? days, in order not to have two credit inquiries close to each other?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to FT!

A). Depends on what your plans are
B). The credit inquiries are going to be close together unless you are planning to wait a significant number of days. Most people do the apps all in one day. I do it for the convenience and so that the inquiries all fall off in one day.

This really doesn't belong in this thread. Assuming you want more help, Click the triangle and have your post moved and also advise what you want to do with your miles and points, i.e. I want to fly from aaa to bbb in x class and would like to stay at y hotel for so many days. Those with more specific goals get better answers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.