Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:20 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Used link #1 Saturday to apply for a biz card. Yesterday, Sunday, got a denial email saying income too low and too much open credit. Hmmm, I thought... something fishy here because income is higher than many and cc's get paid mid cycle. So, I called the recon line today. First got CSR in outsourced call bank. She repeated many times that they can only go by the credit report and that I am entitled to get a copy of said report if I feel there are errors. I repeated that the data is correct on the CR, and that should not result in a denial. Eventually I got off that merry-go-round and asked for a supervisor.

Supervisor (American accent) listens to my tale of woe, checks the app, and, low and behold, admits the computer made an error computing the mortgages as revolving credit lines. Bada bing bada boom... immediate approval and 20K cl.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by hansel960
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

When people say they got "instant approval", does that mean you were approved on the computer screen after filling out the application? Or does it mean you called Customer Service and got approved on the phone right after you submitted the app?

Thanks!
On screen.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hi Hansel and welcome to Flyertalk.

I have had "instant approvals" show up as the final page of an online application and, in the case of the post above, had a customer service rep actually say something to the effect of "congratulations, you have been approved for the CitiVisa card with a credit line of xxx". If you are not instantly approved in an online application, you will either see a screen that tells you "you will hear from us in xxx days about the application" . You might also see nothing but a "thank you for applying" or nothing at all when you are finished.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by hansel960
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

When people say they got "instant approval", does that mean you were approved on the computer screen after filling out the application? Or does it mean you called Customer Service and got approved on the phone right after you submitted the app?

Thanks!
It typically means right there on the screen.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:58 am

I just used the dual browser trick for the Visa in link #3 and an Amex in link #4. I got an instant approval for the Visa and the application stopped at page 3 for the Amex. Should I call the reconsideration line or call after the decision is made?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
on link 4

is it 40k miles after $2000 and 10k miles after an additional $5000 (total spend $7000)

or is it 40k miles after $2000 and 10k miles after an additional $3000 (total spend ($5000)

thanks
I'm pretty sure it is $5000 spend, but I'll let you know soon as I spent $5000 already.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Lazbum
I just used the dual browser trick for the Visa in link #3 and an Amex in link #4. I got an instant approval for the Visa and the application stopped at page 3 for the Amex. Should I call the reconsideration line or call after the decision is made?
I would call for status immediately and if you don't get aproval try the recon line immediately. I think the longer you wait the more likely to get the "not first-time customer" denial.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
I'm pretty sure it is $5000 spend, but I'll let you know soon as I spent $5000 already.
it's 5K total.

2K, then 3K incremental.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, United Gold
Hi there - I have applied for Visa and Amex cards with 50,000 bonus points and $100 statement credit after $3000 spend within 4 months back in October. However, I have noticed that only 40,000 miles have been posted to my AA account. I have emailed Citi and they responded that their records do not indicate I was solicited for the 50K offer. "If you received an offer different than what is on your account, please send us a copy of the original offer you received to our customer address. Once we receive a copy of the documentation, we will review your account." Anyone else came across this? How do you convince AA to issue the remaining 10,000 miles and $100 statement credit?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:07 pm

Using which link(s) did you apply?

Originally Posted by DINYC
Hi there - I have applied for Visa and Amex cards with 50,000 bonus points and $100 statement credit after $3000 spend within 4 months back in October. However, I have noticed that only 40,000 miles have been posted to my AA account. I have emailed Citi and they responded that their records do not indicate I was solicited for the 50K offer. "If you received an offer different than what is on your account, please send us a copy of the original offer you received to our customer address. Once we receive a copy of the documentation, we will review your account." Anyone else came across this? How do you convince AA to issue the remaining 10,000 miles and $100 statement credit?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, United Gold
Originally Posted by IkeEsq
Using which link(s) did you apply?
First link from the top: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...comment-579723
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:15 pm

Received both the Citi Visa and Citi Amex 50k miles/each with $2500 spend in 4 months (and possible 2AC club passes/each) today. Applied for them last week with instant approval.

Question though, with these cards in particular, when does the 4 month period start? Is it from the approval date, the date the cards were mailed, or the date the cards are activated?

If the 4 months starts on the day the card(s) were activated, how long does one have to activate the cards? The reason I ask this, is I want to get these two cards for my mrs. jbminger, however we cannot spend 4x$2500 in 4 months. If I applied for them now, could I activate them in 1-2months? that would give me enough time for the required spend on the extra 2 cards.

thanks for your input
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by jbminger
Received both the Citi Visa and Citi Amex 50k miles/each with $2500 spend in 4 months (and possible 2AC club passes/each) today. Applied for them last week with instant approval.

Question though, with these cards in particular, when does the 4 month period start? Is it from the approval date, the date the cards were mailed, or the date the cards are activated?

If the 4 months starts on the day the card(s) were activated, how long does one have to activate the cards? The reason I ask this, is I want to get these two cards for my mrs. jbminger, however we cannot spend 4x$2500 in 4 months. If I applied for them now, could I activate them in 1-2months? that would give me enough time for the required spend on the extra 2 cards.

thanks for your input
Date of application, I believe.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by jbminger
...instant approval... with these cards in particular, when does the 4 month period start? Is it from the approval date
Yup, 4 month period begins on the approval date. Tick tock...your 4 month clock is running.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DINYC
Well, you can ask the blogger whose site has such link - the mistake may lied with the blogger mislabeled the link being a 50K $100 statement credit link while it is really a 40K link. Or Citi has updated the offer since then. No telling.

But AA would not be "convinced" or rather, would have no idea and no ability to give you miles - they are from Citi. Whatever Citi sent to AA to your account that is what shows up. AA has nothing to do with how much Citi sends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.