Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:15 am

applied for and received amex and visa in mail saturday

activated both and confirmed rewards as listed on page 1

applied under #2 and #4

all as stated there
Old Dec 17, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emptiness
i applied for the AA visa and amex 75k deal in October 2011,

I currently have citi aa amex and visa

Citi aa biz applied in May 2012.

2 Citi hiltons

Citi thank you premier card
Citi dividened mastercard

when I applied for the Citi Hilton cards, I was given 3k limit on each and was told I have maxed out on credit line citi can offer and have to transfer credit line from my other citi cards .

I don't think I have any more chances of new Citi AA cards, wonder if they can be approved if I close couple of existing citi cards?
You're confusing two issues.

First, there's timing. It's only 14 months since October 2011, and hardly anyone has gotten approved at less than 18 months, and a number of people have had to wait as long as 26 months.

Second, as you experienced, Citi can pull creidt limit from an open card to a new card.

Third, Citi cannot pull credit limit from a recently-closed card to a new card. So cancelling can backfire if you don't cancle far enough ahead of time. You need to cancel 6 months before you will need that credit limit for a new card.

So, since you are unilikely to get accepted for new Citi AA cards anytime soon, I suggest you take this information all together and do the following:

1. Decide that you will wait at least 6 more months before trying for another pair of Citi AA cards.

2. Right now cancel as many Citi cards as you no longer really need, so that in 6 months the credit limit from those cards will finally be avialble for new apps again.

That is the steps and tming that is most likely to succeed.

If you insist on applying for new Citi AA cards before 6 months from the time that you cancel some, then you have to not cancel any (that have signficant credit limit, anyway), and wait to do this moving around of credit limit on the new cards. But then you run the risk of being rejected not because you have too little credit available, but because you have too many cards open (and I'm not sure if that can be negotiated away while moving credit limit too). So as you see, this is all becomes very complicated if you don't do the two simple steps above (which require waiting patiently for at least 6 months).

(As to which cards to cancel: I would suggest you cancel either the Citi AA Visa or the CIti AA Amex, and also the Citi HH card that you've gotten the bonus points in your HH account already. You don't need to keep two CIti AA cards to get your AA benefits, just one will do. And you don't need to keep two Citi HH cards, two was just for the bonus. But if you're not done with the minimum spend on either Citi HH card yet, that may add to your "6 months" mentioned above if you have to wait for that!)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:17 am

Citi Business - Still 3 Cards Per Business?

Got approved for Offer #1 (Business Visa)! Phone rep confirmed offer details.

After approval, that same day also cancelled Business MC within 37 days of annual fee charge. Had accepted a spend 5K, get 10K bonus (for 15K total) a while before MC fee assessed, then cancelled without penalty of annual fee charge (ie., left a $75 balance, which they remove). Citi customer service retention dept. actually advised me to do this when they offered me the bonus!

When I search through the Thread, I am a little confused as to how long the waiting period will be before applying for the next Business card (for another employee). There are now only 2 active cards for our business (with the MC being cancelled). Am I correctly understanding that if we wait about 95 days, then another application should be approved?

Is the maximum total of Business cards still at “3” per business? What bearing does a Business Card application have upon a Personal Card application? Reading this Thread, I'm assuming I would not have to wait 18 months for a personal card.

THANKS!

UPDATE: Card just arrived (offer #1: Citi Biz Visa)! Didn't realize this, but under "Annual Membership Fee" is states: NONE. Called to activate card. Rep confirmed NO annual fee ever and all details mentioned in offer are correct.

Last edited by miles4sheli; Dec 17, 2012 at 4:18 pm Reason: update
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: many
Originally Posted by sdsearch
So, since you are unlikely to get accepted for new Citi AA cards anytime soon, I suggest you take this information all together and do the following: ....
All that, without even circles and arrows, tis the season of giving!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, British
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®

I am not sure if this is something new but got it today in email offer:

Enhance your travel experience with the
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®!*

Special Holiday Offer:
Apply now, get the card and earn 40,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership1!

Plus, earn an additional 10,000 bonus miles after $10,000 in purchases within the first 12 months of cardmembership1!

As a cardmember, you'll enjoy rewards and great benefits throughout your journey:
Your first eligible checked bag is free†
Priority Boarding with Group 1 privileges2
25% savings on eligible in-flight food and
beverage purchases3

Earn two AAdvantage® miles for every $1 you spend on eligible American Airlines purchases4 and on purchases at certain office supply, telecommunications, and car rental merchants.5 Earn one AAdvantage® mile for every $1 spent on other purchases.6

Renew your annual cardmembership and earn a 5% AAdvantage® mileage bonus based upon eligible purchases made during the cardmembership year7

Earn AAdvantage® miles from purchases made on your employee accounts8 — plus, receive additional employee cards at no additional cost** and set a custom credit limit by employee

Earn an American Airlines Companion Certificate each year of cardmembership in which you spend $30,000 or more in purchases and renew your cardmembership. The cost to redeem the certificate for round-trip companion travel ranges from $120.60 to $142.20 ($99 ticketing fee plus $21.60 to $43.20 in government taxes based on itinerary)9

WHAT'S MORE, Business Owners will have access to online Annual and Quarterly Account Summaries to track expenses by employee, category, and amount and also enjoy access to a CitiBusiness 24-hour Personal Business Assistant to help with travel, hotel and dining arrangements, and more! Plus, the annual fee of $95** is waived for the first year!

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:16 pm

This is new indeed. I have never seen a MC business AA card. Or a business AA card with the new benefits (free checked bag, etc). I wonder if you can apply for it after you apply for a Visa business AA card.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:23 pm

Citi/AAdvantage Business MC

The Citi/AAdvantage Business MasterCards have been around for a while. But the newest ones come with better benefits. I just cancelled our old one, in hopes of applying for the newer one in the future (although I did just sign up for a new Business Visa). I can confirm you can have both a Business Visa and Business MC at the same time (I know the limit per business for all combined card accounts used to be "3". However, you can have multiple card-holders per account, earning AAdvantage miles for the original holder. Just remember there can be more than one account per business, so there is a difference between "accounts" and "cardholders"). An added plus for the Business MC is that they are part of the MasterCard Easy Savings program that gives rebates for various merchants (USPS, Shell, Fuelman network, Wyndham resorts, etc.).

Last edited by miles4sheli; Dec 17, 2012 at 4:16 pm
Old Dec 17, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by alkotik
I am not sure if this is something new but got it today in email offer:

Enhance your travel experience with the
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® World MasterCard®!*

Special Holiday Offer:
Apply now, get the card and earn 40,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of cardmembership1!

https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq/...&screenID=3006
Nice.

I applied for my first-ever citi cards on Nov. 1 2012. Used the 2-browser trick and got instant approval for the city visa and amex - both personal cards. Already completed the minimum spend for those.

As I understand it, I can apply for citi business cards after waiting 65 days. I was planning to go for one citi business visa around January 10.

How likely is it that I could use the two-browser gambit again and get both the business visa and also the mastercard on/around January 10?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
on link 4

is it 40k miles after $2000 and 10k miles after an additional $5000 (total spend $7000)

or is it 40k miles after $2000 and 10k miles after an additional $3000 (total spend ($5000)

thanks
Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Nice.

How likely is it that I could use the two-browser gambit again and get both the business visa and also the mastercard on/around January 10?

Not very likely. It is my understanding that Citi allows 1 business app every 90 days.

Do you have more than 1 business with different tax ID numbers? That is the only loophole I can think of that might allow you to do it.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by geclub1
Quick update:
Today 12/15/12, I just applied for offer #3 in post 1: 1 Visa, 1 Amex.
Both got to step 3 with application number listed and asked to call 1-800-695-5171.

Called in with Visa application number, approved after about 10 minutes wait. No additional info was requested from me.

Previous AA applications:
08/29/11 AA visa instant approval
09/02/11 AA Amex instant approval
07/07/12 AA visa; denied for non-first-time
07/07/12 AA Amex; application dissapeared
12/15/12 AA visa; step 3; approved
12/15/12 AA Amex; step 3; may call later
12/15/12 AA Amex; step 3; called in on 12/17; approved after 2 minute wait. Again, no additional info was requested from me.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:12 pm

within 12 months

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
on link 4

is it 40k miles after $2000 and 10k miles after an additional $5000 (total spend $7000)

or is it 40k miles after $2000 and 10k miles after an additional $3000 (total spend ($5000)

thanks
Pretty sure it's 5K total within first 12 months, so option B. (since there's no landing page, see a few posts above for the "official" similar Business MC offer and it's clear it's within the first 12 months, to include the original tier). I would confirm this, though, upon application or activation.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, SPG, Hyatt
Just applied using Amex link from #4 and Visa link from MMS blog (50k after $2500 spend plus two AC passes...will confirm when activated), instantly approved for both.

I have a Citi AA Visa that I got 2/2011 and did not cancel before applying for these other two.

Last edited by rharrigill; Dec 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 17, 2012, 4:42 pm

data point

applied VISA #1, Amex #2. Amex application progresses to step 3. Through chatting with agent, it was approved. For VISA, I called in and was given instant review, but was denied. I should receive a formal letter detailing the decision.

Question. How can I argue against their decision on the visa?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by rharrigill
Just applied using Amex link from #4 and Visa link from MMS blog (50k after $2500 spend plus two AC passes...will confirm when activated), instantly approved for both.

I have a Citi AA Visa that I got 2/2011 and did not cancel before applying for these other two.
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

When people say they got "instant approval", does that mean you were approved on the computer screen after filling out the application? Or does it mean you called Customer Service and got approved on the phone right after you submitted the app?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.