Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT youll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- its from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please dont call Citi for the passes, because youll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I dont have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, youll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what wont, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
Theres a very good chance that itll be coded as a cash advance.
Its recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, IHG Royal Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat,Accor Plat, US Chairmans
Some random thoughts would be appreciated... i applied to VISA/AMEX and was told to call immediately for the VISA but not the AMEX (infamous pending review), I called to the VISA and was approved immediately. Do you think that will cause an issue with my AMEX passing thru the system?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:57 pm

Does decent income as well as no Citi apps ever before mean a higher chance on a citi 2bm of a double instant approval?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:57 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
50,000 miles, $150 credit statement, two lounge passes and a spend requirement $3,000

I was wondering has anyone tried and got approved (and can confirm the bonus) for this 50,000 miles, $150 credit statement, two lounge passes and a spend requirement $3,000 in 4 months, VISA, AMEX and Business VISA? Taken from travelisfree.
I was gonna apply using link 2, but if this works, it will give me additionally $150 credit and 2 lounge passes for just $500 more in spending.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:00 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Originally Posted by awardticket
Does decent income as well as no Citi apps ever before mean a higher chance on a citi 2bm of a double instant approval?
sure.. i think citi is more interested at 3 month and 6 month app total (regardless of citi or not)
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
sure.. i think citi is more interested at 3 month and 6 month app total (regardless of citi or not)
That's good. In this case I think I'm gonna wait a day or 2 to see if we can determine any more data and will then try it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by pianistat
I was wondering has anyone tried and got approved (and can confirm the bonus) for this 50,000 miles, $150 credit statement, two lounge passes and a spend requirement $3,000 in 4 months, VISA, AMEX and Business VISA? Taken from travelisfree.
I was gonna apply using link 2, but if this works, it will give me additionally $150 credit and 2 lounge passes for just $500 more in spending.
Looks like the same offer as in link 1. Citi has been good about honoring expired offers in the past. That's what we all been applying for is expired offers. Citi has obviously been making some changes in how they handle things but you ought to be able to get at least one card. So might as well give it a shot.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:32 pm

Y'all are definitely more patient people than me. I get the "bonus itch" and I go for it. Maybe not calling would have been better for me, but I am still happy to have gotten one card approved.

Originally Posted by shoreline
Adrienne, a few post up from yours, canceled one and reapplied getting approved for 1st (not same type), but not 2nd (applying same day as cancellation).

With the 10 year history, sounds like your happy with the card.

I'm no pro at the CC game for sure, but I do try to keep up with the threads daily.

It sounds like the business route would be better. But, of course, this probably depends on credit score, credit history, etc. so, that's why ymmv.

If she closes that card I think she loses the 10 year history in her average, correct? (a CC pro will surely verify this soon)
She will not lose her history, as someone else pointed out, but her average age of card will go down. It really will depend on what other cards she has and how old they are whether closing this card will have much of an impact. I recommend going to creditkarma.com on this site it pulls in your credit information and it estimates your credit score. Then you can do a simulator to what would happen to your score if you cancel your oldest card. Its free so I highly recommend this site.

The reason I have had the business card for so long is about 6 or 7 years ago they did away with my annual fee (i.e. no fee forever, and I don't know why I am so special to not have a fee - they simply stopped charging it and I remember calling them to find out why I didn't get charged the fee and they said "oh, we are waiving that fee for you from now on". I didn't even ask for it!). I have a $43,000 credit limit on this card, which I think is pretty valuable in case of some kind of crazy and remote emergency...I always take this card when I travel across the world in case I find myself in a hospital in the middle of rural Indonesia needing to pay for some kind of emergency hospital service) also this card is a business card so none of the transactions show up on my credit report. So that means when I get close to refinancing my house, I start using this card exclusively for about 4-6 months so there is no balance owing on my credit report. (Even though I pay off my balance every month, because I travel so much for work I usually show $5K - $10K per month owing on my personal credit report when I use my personal cards...and they use the minimum payments on your outstanding balances to determine how much money you qualify for.) I am sorry this is such a long story.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by huynhc
Some random thoughts would be appreciated... i applied to VISA/AMEX and was told to call immediately for the VISA but not the AMEX (infamous pending review), I called to the VISA and was approved immediately. Do you think that will cause an issue with my AMEX passing thru the system?
Probably not. You didn't call about the AMEX. Did the person you talked to mention that they noticed you applied for two cards? Nothing you can do about it now but wait.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
Looks like the same offer as in link 1. Citi has been good about honoring expired offers in the past. That's what we all been applying for is expired offers. Citi has obviously been making some changes in how they handle things but you ought to be able to get at least one card. So might as well give it a shot.
Same req as link 1 but link 1 is only direct link to Business application and this landing page gives working links for personal cards, with the best current sign up AA bonuses, so it got to be added here somewhere. I mean $150 and two lounge passes are something..
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:41 pm

Same req as link 1 but link 1 is only direct link to Business application and this landing page gives working links for personal cards, with the best current sign up AA bonuses, so it got to be added here somewhere. I mean $150 and two lounge passes are something..
So if it works the two personal cards can be put back on the table instead of just the business in link 1. Someone will come along soon and try it and likely report if it works. My guess is it will. Need a guinea pig.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by gregillinois
With possible stricter rules I asked 3 pages ago if wife who has 10yr old personal mastercard should try for the personal visa (and risk denial) or go directly for her first business card? The only reply was YMMV which to my slow computer brain does not compute as to what I should do (or not do) Help
Everything I've read says that for Citi, after (generally)18 months the system forgets you had another product and you qualify again for the sign on bonus. (this wait time is anywhere from 12 - 36 months, with most people reporting success after 18 months.). Other discussions on Flyertalk and MilePoint suggest that it doesn't actually matter if you cancel your old card or not. Also, you must wait 65+ days after your personal card application to apply for the business card or it will be instant denial for the business card. Please see Darius' site at http://millionmilesecrets.com/credit...-credit-cards/ and scroll down to #3 american airlines. The mastercard link was not working for me.

so my suggestion is try the 2 browser trick for 2 personal cards, then wait 65+ days to apply for the business card. Read what other people have suggested in the last couple days about the 2 browser trick (and NOT calling the reconsideration line)

Last edited by AdrienneD; Jan 28, 2013 at 9:47 pm Reason: more info needed
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by awardticket
Not necessarily. It depends on your credit score, income, number of inquiries, and several other factors we may or may not know about. Some people with high incomes have bad credit scores. Without knowing more about your situation, it is impossible to tell.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:49 pm

I was wondering has anyone tried and got approved (and can confirm the bonus) for this 50,000 miles, $150 credit statement, two lounge passes and a spend requirement $3,000 in 4 months, VISA, AMEX and Business VISA[/URL]? Taken from travelisfree.
Hush...don't let the newbies find out. ;-)

Last edited by webazoid; Jan 28, 2013 at 10:00 pm
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by ddallas
So if it works the two personal cards can be put back on the table instead of just the business in link 1. Someone will come along soon and try it and likely report if it works. My guess is it will. Need a guinea pig.
I will wait till tomorrow to see if anyone has been done it already. And then if not, I guess it is my time to be a guinea pig for once
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
Not necessarily. It depends on your credit score, income, number of inquiries, and several other factors we may or may not know about. Some people with high incomes have bad credit scores. Without knowing more about your situation, it is impossible to tell.
Credit is great. With Chase and Amex I recently have been instantly approved, with Chase last July and Amex for the plat just now.
Income would be reporting over 75k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.