Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by rick767
Hi, I am wondering how long I have to wait before applying for a citi AA card,again? I last applied about 2 yrs ago. Does anyone have a cheat sheet how long to wait between applications for other cards as well?

Thanks, Rick
18>26 months between application dates for the AA personal card. You're almost there. I'd wait the full 26 months & then apply. All banks have different logarithms. Business cards & personal cards can also have different dates. Read, read, read. And, welcome to FT!!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by bobbyleng
does this offer still work? think about applying it now.
If you read back two or three pages you will see reports of recent success. So assume it is working until people start posting that it doesn't.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: DL, AA
Originally Posted by jeanie
I wasn't ignoring that fact. I wouldn't spend $350 for 30k AA miles unless there was a trip I already had planned that I needed the miles for. Frequent flyer miles aren't worth anything until they are redeemed, whereas $350 is worth something now. It's my opinion, but I have a right to my own opinion.

The way you chose to phrase that was somewhat rude. We are all just trying to help people on this board. There is no reason to be a jerk about it.

There has been a trend lately for newcomers to get angry and rant on people that are just trying to help them. That seems counter productive to me.
Seriously? I don't see anything rude in what LAX88 is saying or on the way he phrased it. On the other hand, I think calling somebody a jerk just because is a tiny bit rude.

Just my opinion, and I am also entitled to my own opinion.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:08 am

Programs: Marriott, Radisson, AA, UA
Originally Posted by carofly
Seriously? I don't see anything rude in what LAX88 is saying or on the way he phrased it. On the other hand, I think calling somebody a jerk just because is a tiny bit rude.

Just my opinion, and I am also entitled to my own opinion.
Agreed with Carofly, I don't think LAX88 was rude at all. He provided a good point that 30k miles was ignored in the calculations, which I think he's right.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sammyonft
My AA Amex (link #4) card has SELECT on it. Does this mean anything?
A little, not much. It's some sort of Amex "level" thing, I think. Like there's "platinum level" and "Visa signature" on my AA Visa. It means about as much.

For you and me, it's simpler to ignore it, and then if you care what credit card (non-AA-specific) benefits you actually have, just look in the paperwork that came (probably separately) around the time you got the card.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
I know this was asked way up-thread somewhere, but I did not see it answered: does adding a "companion" AmEx to your AA Visa reset the clock on the eligibility? I applied for the Visa in April 2011 (before I was aware of the 2BT), so coming up on 24 months here. Last year in April I accepted the offer for the companion Amex, no annual fee, 25K miles after $750 spend.

So did I effectively move my ability to apply for another Citi AA card until next year?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by akcae
I know this was asked way up-thread somewhere, but I did not see it answered: does adding a "companion" AmEx to your AA Visa reset the clock on the eligibility? I applied for the Visa in April 2011 (before I was aware of the 2BT), so coming up on 24 months here. Last year in April I accepted the offer for the companion Amex, no annual fee, 25K miles after $750 spend.

So did I effectively move my ability to apply for another Citi AA card until next year?
Dont believe so but only way to find out is to try applying a new set as you are ready.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by akcae
I know this was asked way up-thread somewhere, but I did not see it answered: does adding a "companion" AmEx to your AA Visa reset the clock on the eligibility?
It was indeed asked. Nobody had a definitive answer:

Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
Are you sure that reset your clock?

That offer is a special case and I can't recall anyone here reporting what happened when they took it. It might not "count".
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
It's really hard to tell. We just don't know enough about your kind of situation.

You are a trailblazer.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:33 am

Does anyone know if Admiral's Club day or monthly passes are billed directly by AA? I want to use the passes for the statement credit and post 1987 does not mention them.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
So I recently got two AA cards. On one of them (visa #2) I put a large purchase that put me over then minimum spend threshold but canceled it later that day and got refunded quite quickly. Without that purchase I was still far from meeting the minimum spend. When the statement closed, I received the 50,000 bonus! This is despite the refund being processed in that statement period (the regular miles were based on the net spend i.e. I didn't get any regular miles for that big purchase).

Is it safe for me to stop spending now on the card, or can they revoke later the 50,000 bonus due to not meeting minimum net spend?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bksmm
Does anyone know if Admiral's Club day or monthly passes are billed directly by AA? I want to use the passes for the statement credit and post 1987 does not mention them.
Yes. It has reported these triggered credits. Even dine-in triggered credits.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:40 am
umc

Originally Posted by apk123
So I recently got two AA cards. On one of them (visa #2) I put a large purchase that put me over then minimum spend threshold but canceled it later that day and got refunded quite quickly. Without that purchase I was still far from meeting the minimum spend. When the statement closed, I received the 50,000 bonus! This is despite the refund being processed in that statement period (the regular miles were based on the net spend i.e. I didn't get any regular miles for that big purchase).

Is it safe for me to stop spending now on the card, or can they revoke later the 50,000 bonus due to not meeting minimum net spend?
I don't think it's safe to do so. Why do you want to risk it? It's 50k miles. I'd do the spending requirement.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apk123

Nobody can tell as most everyone does not do things like you described above. Most folks who have legitimate refunds all tried to make up the spend in following cycles and not to risk a claw back. To some this is also an ethic issue. It is strictly a personal call whether you want to take that risk or not.

FWIW, folks in the past have used the refundable tickets trick and it seemed to backfire. That was couple years ago as far as I recall.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:42 am

I have a question about applying for the different AA cards at different times.

I applied for the AA Visa in Oct 2011 and got approved for the 75k offer (sadly I found out about Flyertalk and this thread a month later!).

I'm wondering if I could apply today for the AMEX or Mastercard versions of the personal card and get the bonus associated with them? I know I shouldn't have a problem with the business version, so I'm currently considering applying for both together.

Will Citi consider the AMEX or Mastercard versions to be the same as the Visa version?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aureo11
I have a question about applying for the different AA cards at different times.

I applied for the AA Visa in Oct 2011 and got approved for the 75k offer (sadly I found out about Flyertalk and this thread a month later!).

I'm wondering if I could apply today for the AMEX or Mastercard versions of the personal card and get the bonus associated with them? I know I shouldn't have a problem with the business version, so I'm currently considering applying for both together.

Will Citi consider the AMEX or Mastercard versions to be the same as the Visa version?
Read the Post No.1 of this thread and the referred Post No.2 in the old thread so you can make a better decision and NOT to leave a bundle on the table again like the same mistake you have made in the past. History does NOT worth repeating in this case!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.