Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
  1. What are the most current working links?
  2. Is this card churnable?
  3. How frequently can I apply for these cards?
  4. Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
  5. I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?

[1] What are the most current working links?

There is a standard offer for 50K points after $1K spend in 4 months. (No landing page is available for this offer; lnik taken from wiki for http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...amex-citi.html.)

There are no known 60K offers available. The most recent one expired in late September 2014.

[2] Is this card churnable?
In the past, this card has been easily churnable. However, in December 2014 Citi began inserting language into some applications and landing pages disqualifying current Hilton Visa cardholders & requiring an 18-month wait from the date of the previous card's cancellation. The application link listed above does not include this restriction, and FTers have confirmed that they have been approved through this application despite being current or recent holders of another Citi Hilton card.

[3] How frequently can I apply for these cards?
You can only apply for ONE Citi card in a week or TWO in two months (60 days). To be safe, it is frequently suggested to wait 8+ days between ANY two Citi applications and 65+ days until your third Citi application of ANY kind. These are rolling dates, so you have to wait at least 60 days (65+) from your second application to your 4th applications, and so forth.

If math is not your strong suit, you can use: http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html.

Example:
Day 0 - Citi HHonors Card #1
Day 8 - Citi AA Personal Card
Day 65 - Citi AA Business Card
Day 73 - Citi HHonors Card #2
Day 130 - Citi TY Card

[4] Do I have to close my previous card before reapplying?
Not if you use the application link above. As stated above, in December 2014 Citi began introducing new application pages requiring an 18-month wait since cancellation of the prior card.

Note that when you close an account, Citi may not "free up" the credit limit from that card for as long as 6 months. So if you're going to apply within 6 months, it's better to not cancel beforehand.

[5] I got the 60K card and bonus but when I finished the spend on my second 60K card I did not get the bonus. What happened?
There appears to be a problem with Citi crediting you with both bonuses but Hilton not crediting the second bonus because their system sees it as a duplicate.

You need to open up a case, preferably with Hilton, and explain that you have two separate cards (feel free to explain one is for business and one for personal if they ask why you have multiple cards and you feel like explaining). You also need to diligently check back with them and make sure that they do not close the case as you already got the bonus.

This is very much a YMMV situation. Depending on who you talk to and where, this can be a relatively short process or a particularly unpleasant and long one. Best advice: Be nice to the CSRs and get them on your side or HUACA until you find someone useful.

For some people it may be worth getting the 50K card instead, possibly trying to "bump the bonus" to 60K and getting it as a 10K adjustment instead.
Print Wikipost

Citi Hilton HHonors Visa [2011-2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
The language makes no difference as one poster just got the "first time only" card while still have 3 AA cards open, and the last pair is only opened Dec 2012, barely 3 months ago. The MC Gold card has the "first time only" language in T&Cs.

I wish this split hair, wishful thinking of "interpretation" of the language would just stop because this is really pure speculation on FTers part in the hope of finding the "holy grail" what works and what not...

Those who actually tested the boundary and got Real Outcome / Fresh Data are far more helpful in finding whether there is such a "rule" or there is NONE.
You too are splitting hairs by concentrating on only the language issue. The point is, there are apparently some "frequently churnable" AA cards. The most reliable way of spotting them used to be by this language; perhaps that's no longer the best way. But just because the 50k cards are even less frequently churnable than before (because 1 every 2ish years rather than 2 every 2ish years) does not necessarily mean that no AA cards at all are more frequently churnable.

We will have to figure out how to tell them apart. I don't think we yet have any date points on the self-churnability of the 30k AA Gold card with the "first-time" langauge.

By "self-churnability", I mean applying for the very same card every 65+ days. And that's relevant to this thread because that's what we presume was can still do with the HHonors 50k card, even though we can no longer apparenlty apply for two of those on the same day.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PainCorp
Without knowing how you define "best" I would have to say the Reserve and then Surpass in that order. The Reserve will give you two nights in any Hilton, while the Surpass will just give you the 50/60k points.
Actually, the Reserve will only give you two weekend nights. Any card (Surpass, or the Citi 50ik HH Visa this thread is about) that gives you points, those many be "just points", but they are much more usable on a weekday than a weekend-only free night certificate!

But the point is that the 50k you'd get from Surpass once, by paying an annual fee, you can get with no annual fee by applying for the Citi 50k HH Visa again.

So I'd put Reserve ahead of Surpass for Gold status, and I'd put Citi 50k HH Visa ahead of Surpass for points. (Which leaves Surpass in last place, right? )

The only case in which Surpass comes ahead is for someone who has tons of credit card spend every year, and can thus put $40k a year on the Surpass. That'll give them HH Diamond status (which AFAIK is unavailable in any other way from any US-issued credit card).
Old Feb 27, 2013, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The only case in which Surpass comes ahead is for someone who has tons of credit card spend every year, and can thus put $40k a year on the Surpass. That'll give them HH Diamond status (which AFAIK is unavailable in any other way from any US-issued credit card).
The reserve offers the same benefit, but with no forex and different bonus categories.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:42 pm

Hilton Program change March 28th

Officially 30 to 60 days after statement close that the qualifying purchases were made. They cannot change statement dates early to close earlier.
HOWEVER....if you get a card and make purchases early, they said they usually ASK for (send paperwork to process) the bonus request withn 3 days of closing.

In my case I opened the card Jan 30..and they gave me a Feb 15 close and statement issue on 18th. I only spent $813...so I missed the cutoff. I quickly charged the rest of $1,000...and will not close until March 18th...and hopefully will get the points in time.

Long story short...spend the $1000 money asap...and hope for an early bonus application.

Good LUCK.

PS they have tons of partial points and dollars and they were pretty good...but not always visible. Weird.

Originally Posted by karlmitchell
How long does it take for the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa card bonus points to post after hitting the minimum spend? I'd like to be able to hit 145,000 points before March 28th (so that I can book an AXON 4-day stay before the devaluation), and this would be the easiest way for me to do so. Thanks, -Karl
Old Feb 27, 2013, 4:55 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
call and change the statement closing date to a few + days from today. yes they can change the statement closing day i just did it with my citi AA. some reps didnt know so i called back. basically tell them you want to change the payment date so that the statement closes on X day of the month. they will need to do the math.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 5:49 pm

@caGALINDO Can this be done on the HHonors Amex?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by caGALINDO
call and change the statement closing date to a few + days from today. yes they can change the statement closing day i just did it with my citi AA. some reps didnt know so i called back. basically tell them you want to change the payment date so that the statement closes on X day of the month. they will need to do the math.
Your statement hasn't been closed since the change, are you sure it will take effect the next statement? What I had experienced was if my statement closing date was 2/27/2013 and I change the next closing date to 3/20/2013 the next statement will still be 3/27/2013 and then move to 4/20/2013, i.e. it skips one statement cycle before it takes effect. YMMV.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:49 pm
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
no i think in your case yes it will still close early but if your closing date is say 3/25 you can push it up to 3/10 or something like that
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Actually, the Reserve card which I have offers Diamond status for 40K spend as well. Apples to apples, it IMHO is the better deal with the Gold status and the free night at any property every year.

The only advantage of the Surpass card is that it offers 2 more points per dollar of Hilton spend.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by alik19
The only advantage of the Surpass card is that it offers 2 more points per dollar of Hilton spend.
That's only a recent addition too.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 3:36 pm

DH is ready for next churn. He has 1st HH Visa 50K card opened 6/12 and second one opened 11/12. At this point, do we 1) close first account or 2) keep open and see if they will move credit if needed. Are 3 cards allowed?
Btw - I can confirm that after 24 months(how long we waited) - Citi AA business is still 'churnable'.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by yoyo
Your statement hasn't been closed since the change, are you sure it will take effect the next statement? What I had experienced was if my statement closing date was 2/27/2013 and I change the next closing date to 3/20/2013 the next statement will still be 3/27/2013 and then move to 4/20/2013, i.e. it skips one statement cycle before it takes effect. YMMV.
It will depend when in a given month you made the request and how long ago your billing cycle closed that month. The agents you speak with may not know it and simply put the request on your behalf. Then, you find out that your billing cycle was extended an additional month because you made the change too late in that month. There's a minimum # of days that a billing cycle must have and you cannot have 2 closing dates/payment due dates in any given month.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by CherylD
DH is ready for next churn. He has 1st HH Visa 50K card opened 6/12 and second one opened 11/12. At this point, do we 1) close first account or 2) keep open and see if they will move credit if needed. Are 3 cards allowed?
Btw - I can confirm that after 24 months(how long we waited) - Citi AA business is still 'churnable'.

Thanks!
I would try option 2. If you close it first, the credit from newly closed account does not immediately become available based on reports from others and my personal experience.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I'm going to try for one last hurrah before the devaluation. I can't decide on my second card though. AA Biz or reserve? The reserve it moot aside from the free cert. I will get gold otherwise...
Old Mar 6, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold
50,000 Citi Hilton HHonors Visa

I am going to be forced to follow up with Citi. I hit the threshold before the requirement date and have now had two statements since meeting the requirement with no bonus points posting. What is the best phone number to follow up with this situation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.