Wiki Posts
Search

Trains in China?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:04 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by moondog
Yeah. Arriving at 730a simply isn't cool,t.
Saves you the cost of a hotel room. That's cool.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by nologic
I did a 7:30am arrival once a few years ago and traffic into Shanghai was terrible...barely made 10am meeting after quick hotel check in/shower.
Why not use the metro, lines 3 or 4 and then transfer if necessary? I find only lines 1 and 2 unbearable at rush hour.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mosburger
Why not use the metro, lines 3 or 4 and then transfer if necessary? I find only lines 1 and 2 unbearable at rush hour.
One word: luggage. Also, we are on a family trip...no real agenda or reason to get into Shanghai in the early morning.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mosburger
Because the metro is hell at 8a.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Because the metro is hell at 8a.
Not necessarily if you have a pre-paid ticket and do not have to line up to purchase one.

Line 1 and 2 are the exceptions, wouldn't do those from 7-9 am if they can be avoided.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
On train from Beijing to Shanghai in Deluxe Soft Sleeper: old, grungy, dirty, cramped...toilet's not working. running water in bathroom is barely a trickle. Tvs aren't working.

These are the same cabins as the Deluxe Soft Sleepers on the two overnight D trains from BJ to Shanghai and the most luxurious cabin on overnight trains in China?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:31 am

On train from Beijing to Shanghai in Deluxe Soft Sleeper: old, grungy, dirty, cramped...toilet's not working. running water in bathroom is barely a trickle. Tvs aren't working.

These are the same cabins as the Deluxe Soft Sleepers on the two overnight D trains from BJ to Shanghai and the most luxurious cabin on overnight trains in China?
Hmmm, surprised as I've thought you are of Chinese origin?

I've travelled China on trains quite extensively for ten years now, so not much experience compared to some other FT'ers, but have grown to like the robust comfort of their carriages.

The private toilet is a huge improvement compared to sharing one and to actually even get running water is a plus to myself. It's not that cramped at all IMHO and the linen felt sufficiently clean.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:48 pm

This is the highest most premium travel class on Chinese trains; This Superior Soft Sleeper two-person compartment

Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
This is the highest most premium travel class on Chinese trains; This Superior Soft Sleeper two-person compartment

Superior Soft Sleeper on Chinese Train - YouTube
How much nicer is the Deluxe Soft Sleeper on the D train (such as D313) vs the T train?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:14 pm

D trains are more recent than T trains and the deluxe sleepers are much nicer. More expensive too.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 6:32 pm

Haven't seen any photos of deluxe soft sleeper on D trains.

Chinese: 高级软卧 gāojí ruănwò /gaoww-jee rwan-wor/ 'high-level soft sleeper'

Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu

Superior Soft Sleeper on Chinese Train - YouTube
This is not available Beijing to Shanghai on the D or T trains. As I said, the T train cabin was quite dingy, and while maybe a fluke, 2/2 cabins did not have working toilets and no cabins had working TV. Overall condition: dirty.

I had not read anywhere that the D train cabins are much nicer, but makes sense given that they are newer.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:21 pm

This is not available Beijing to Shanghai on the D or T trains. As I said, the T train cabin was quite dingy, and while maybe a fluke, 2/2 cabins did not have working toilets and no cabins had working TV. Overall condition: dirty.

I had not read anywhere that the D train cabins are much nicer, but makes sense given that they are newer.
I have read there are a few cars(D313) that run infrequently HSR Beijing to Shanghai with Deluxe (2 birth..bathroom). But have not seen photos showing the cabin.

If your cabin had no working restroom facility and no on board entertainment, surely they should offer you a full refund.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:55 pm

Why not buy all four beds of a cabin on the D night train, especially if with kids?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.