Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trains in China?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Having more alternatives is always a good idea, and while it's true that at the moment factory workers can't enjoy such luxury rides, that might change in couple years.

More and more Chinese are willing to pay a premium for a comfortable and quick ride, and more and more can afford this. Certainly not all of them are business travellers. Not even the majority I would say. Leisure travel is expanding QUICK - and I mean quick for Chinese circumstances (Their "slow" is even faster what we here call "quick")
The issue is not the growing middle class and the ability to pay for more comfortable options.

The issue that even though the new CRH runs on separate tracks then the old 10hr one, there is possibility that the Ministry of Railway will eliminate a good number of normal trains on this route. While there is a growing number of wealthier middle-class who can and will take advantage of the CRH, the vast majority of people will or must opt for the cheaper slower train.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Ex-UA-1K
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Having more alternatives is always a good idea, and while it's true that at the moment factory workers can't enjoy such luxury rides, that might change in couple years.

More and more Chinese are willing to pay a premium for a comfortable and quick ride, and more and more can afford this. Certainly not all of them are business travellers. Not even the majority I would say. Leisure travel is expanding QUICK - and I mean quick for Chinese circumstances (Their "slow" is even faster what we here call "quick")
The issue is not the growing middle class and the ability to pay for more comfortable options.

The issue that even though the new CRH runs on separate tracks then the old 10hr one, there is possibility that the Ministry of Railway will eliminate a good number of normal trains on this route. While there is a growing number of wealthier middle-class who can and will take advantage of the CRH, the vast majority of people will or must opt for the cheaper slower train.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by mackenzie77

That is a good argument about what might happen in the Western world once a new connection opens up, but I doubt any connections will be cut in China unless the "old" slow trains are emptying up. After all the Chinese gouvernment is well aware of the need of it's working class to travel cheaply, and won't deny them that option, I'm pretty pretty much sure on that.
Old Jan 5, 2010, 4:29 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The Beijing posse is certainly very aware of the need for stability in China. Actually 2009 was named "the year of the migrant worker" if I remember correctly from the lunar new year festivities...So wouldn't expect the number of cheaper connections to be cut.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Hi...I am planning on taking the overnight "T" sleeper train from Beijing to Shanghai.

If the cost of a deluxe sleeper is RMB 921/person for adults, how much will it be for kids? If it's helpful, I think the price for a 2nd class seat is RMB 327.

Also, the kids are 123-125cm tall, slightly over the 120 cm threshold for a free children's ticket (still not sure that the discount applies to)...will the cabin conductor actually measure them and surcharge us if we buy tickets based on the 120 cm children's pricing and vs the 50% 120-150cm children's rate?

Also, is there free wifi on these trains, and if so, is it any good?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nologic
Hi...I am planning on taking the overnight "T" sleeper train from Beijing to Shanghai.

If the cost of a deluxe sleeper is RMB 921/person for adults, how much will it be for kids? If it's helpful, I think the price for a 2nd class seat is RMB 327.

Also, the kids are 123-125cm tall, slightly over the 120 cm threshold for a free children's ticket (still not sure that the discount applies to)...will the cabin conductor actually measure them and surcharge us if we buy tickets based on the 120 cm children's pricing and vs the 50% 120-150cm children's rate?

Also, is there free wifi on these trains, and if so, is it any good?
I am not how kids pricing works with deluxe sleepers, but I think your 921 seems about 30 higher than the official fare (not a big deal of course; just sayin' you might not be using the most reliable source).

As for Wifi, the answer is "no". However, 4g works --just-- okay.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:01 pm

Kids discounts for sleepers usually come out at roughly 25%. It's a formula where the seat portion of the fare only is discounted. Check on 12306.cn or as the people at china-diy-travel.com to find out for you.
Doesn't matter their height, the price is the same. The only difference is that below 120cm they can travel for free if they share a bed with a parent.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:19 pm

Upper deluxe is 879.5RMB; lower is 1144RMB. Perhaps the poster is including a 40RMB agency service charge.

They don't carry tape measures on the train. Both in the station where tickets are checked and onboard there are 120/150 cm height lines marked out on walls. No doubt folks sometimes cheat and get away with it, but why?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by 889

They don't carry tape measures on the train. Both in the station where tickets are checked and onboard there are 120/150 cm height lines marked out on walls.
I have seen those wall marks also in every train. And in any case, as I said, there is no price difference between 120cm and 125cm (other than a free ticket if they share your bed).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Is there any reason NOT to take the 15 hour T train in a Deluxe two person sleeper vs the "faster" 12 hour D train in similar accommodations, aside from the difference in timing? The D trains arrive around 7:30am, which is actually too early for us vs. 10:30am which is preferable.

I presume the cabins are comparable...?

Is there anything "nicer" about the D train itself vs the T train? Amenities, smoother ride, fewer stops, better air conditioning, etc.?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 11:22 pm

The t trains have passable food because they are permitted to use ovens and woks.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by moondog
The t trains have passable food because they are permitted to use ovens and woks.
The two person cabin is also quite ok, took it this spring from Beijing to Anhui province.

On the Beijing - Shanghai route, I will, however, always choose the D sleepers.

Cant' be bothered doing the trip daytime (or flying daytime), better used for meetings and social gatherings. Also, no interest to spend the extra three hours on a route with remarkably dull scenery.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by mosburger
The two person cabin is also quite ok, took it this spring from Beijing to Anhui province.

On the Beijing - Shanghai route, I will, however, always choose the D sleepers.

Cant' be bothered doing the trip daytime (or flying daytime), better used for meetings and social gatherings. Also, no interest to spend the extra three hours on a route with remarkably dull scenery.
Private bathroom/washroom and sitting area seems a significant benefit...times (7:30 pm to 10:30 am) work well for us.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
Private bathroom/washroom and sitting area seems a significant benefit...times (7:30 pm to 10:30 am) work well for us.
Yeah. Arriving at 730a simply isn't cool, but I shall reiterate that edible food is the main benefit of T v D. It's a shame that the Z trains were phased out; they were just as fast as the current D trains, but were not air tight.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Yeah. Arriving at 730a simply isn't cool, but I shall reiterate that edible food is the main benefit of T v D. It's a shame that the Z trains were phased out; they were just as fast as the current D trains, but were not air tight.
I did a 7:30am arrival once a few years ago and traffic into Shanghai was terrible...barely made 10am meeting after quick hotel check in/shower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.