Wiki Posts
Search

domestic china flight and liquids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
domestic china flight and liquids

I haven't been able to find any recent posts on experiences with liquids in carry-on - or carry-ons in general on Domestic China flights.

Is the TSA-type 311 bag going to work for those "personal cosmetic items"? Will it be more hassle than it is worth?
With an average or even international-sized carry-on over both size and weight limit for carry-on (according to airport/airline baggage information), will I likely be forced to check any normal carry-on?
[I guess I'm asking how strictly it will be enforced so I know I have some extra clothes, etc in a small bag that can go on]

Thanks,
AJ
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They don't care about small toiletries, and there is no need for a special bag, but checking luggage works very well in China.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Priority Club Platinum, AA, USAir, ANA,
Last year, when we were on a land tour to China, our tour leader who accompanied us throughout the trip kept telling us not to carry any liquid in our carry-on. Not even following the TSA guidelines. She said it really depends on the security person, if they want to cause problems, just a little bit of liquid will turn into great delay. All the electronics and chargers should be in the carry-on.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by ROCruiser
Last year, when we were on a land tour to China, our tour leader who accompanied us throughout the trip kept telling us not to carry any liquid in our carry-on. Not even following the TSA guidelines. She said it really depends on the security person, if they want to cause problems, just a little bit of liquid will turn into great delay. All the electronics and chargers should be in the carry-on.
Your tour leader was simply wrong; small bottles of liquids are fine.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody has ever questioned our 311 bags in PVG, her sister (Chinese--the security procedures seem a bit different for locals vs tourists so this might matter) lost a ~8oz bottle of booze in Guilin.

I have had someone concerned with the apparent (it wasn't actually that heavy) weight of a backpack in the old SHA airport--my wife pretty easily shooed them off pointing out it was camera gear. Nobody's stopped us since--but note that we are always careful about size limits.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:19 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
2. Small amounts of cosmetics and personal care products are allowed in carry-on baggage only if in individual containers with a maximum capacity of 100 ml, and all items are placed in a single bag for inspection.

QUOTE=moondog;26996401]Your tour leader was simply wrong; small bottles of liquids are fine.[/QUOTE]

That's correct.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:59 am

What moondog said. Never any issues with deo roll-on, cough sirup, mouthwash, etc., left inside the suitcase. Even at what I assume must be third-tier city airports.

The only "liquid" they care about is your lighter. They.will.find.it

(They might not care about the second one in your other bag, as long as you hand one over)
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:44 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I followed the TSA guidelines and flew between Chengdu and Beijing and had no issues with airport security with liquids in my carry-on luggage.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpia
What moondog said. Never any issues with deo roll-on, cough sirup, mouthwash, etc., left inside the suitcase. Even at what I assume must be third-tier city airports.

The only "liquid" they care about is your lighter. They.will.find.it

(They might not care about the second one in your other bag, as long as you hand one over)
They don't like flammable liquids, period.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
They don't like flammable liquids, period.
They also take matches
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:45 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
China Northern Airlines Flight 6136

QUOTE=Loren Pechtel;27000952]They don't like flammable liquids, period.[/QUOTE]

Especially gasoline.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
thanks all. If you read the airport security info for domestic flights, I could barely get my purse on by weight.
we are traveling between Beijing and Guiyang Guizhou

We do have someone meeting us locally and will follow their lead but want to be prepared to reorganize my carry-on if we have to check it on our departure from Beijing (not same day).

AJ
Old Aug 2, 2016, 9:03 am

As long as you aren't carrying liquids in big bottles, you will be fine even if you carry-on luggage is enormous. 9c is the only PRC airline I know of that cares about this stuff, and you aren't flying them.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Chinese--the security procedures seem a bit different for locals vs tourists so this might matter.
Yup.

In many places in China foreigners (at least white foreigners) are waved through when others aren't. Same goes for security and weigh-ins. On the other hand, some foreigners may get targeted specifically by some agents. Flying in to and out of 'small' Chinese airports, I've often been the only foreigner and definitely get treated differently.

On the plus side, Chinese don't bring stupid numbers of giant carry-ons so no need to rush for overhead space!

Dr. PITUK
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Being part Chinese, I get treated like everyone else in China until I speak English and they see the US passport. Suddenly they start apologizing, smile, and are a lot nicer. I noticed this with security at train stations and airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.