Old May 30, 2023, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by uanj
Don't forget freight.
Bingo
Old May 31, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by moondog
Do you have any Chinese colleagues who '"demand" to go to Moscow?
One of my suppliers made a trip to Moscow a few weeks ago. I did not ask her for details. She did say the trip was successful, whatever that may mean.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
New May 2023 US-China flights avoid Russian airspace

https://www.reuters.com/world/chines...ts-2023-06-01/

Older flights prior to March 2022 still use Russian airspace. I guess this is best
compromise for China & USA.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 8:52 pm

Wink

Originally Posted by npei
https://www.reuters.com/world/chines...ts-2023-06-01/

Older flights prior to March 2022 still use Russian airspace. I guess this is best
compromise for China & USA.
Maybe US DOT and CAAC read my post from April

Originally Posted by boat stuck
Well, if I was negotiating, I would propose that no new frequencies can overfly Russia, but existing Russia overflight frequencies are grandfathered. Since there's only 8x weekly Chinese flights right now (and I think only 5x of them overfly Russia regularly), it'll be a relatively small number of exceptions once flights ramp up, so US airlines would be affected minimally in the long run. And Chinese airlines won't be forced to change what they're currently doing, since only new frequencies are affected.

I think something like this is actually in the "zone of possible agreement" for both sides. However, I don't see an agreement being reached anytime soon due to the current state of US-China relations.
YariGuy, uanj and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by boat stuck
Maybe US DOT and CAAC read my post from April
CAAC would have given up Russian overflights on existing routes. The new PVG-LAX and PEK-JFK flights (once a week, each) will not reduce fares, and nobody cares about the third LAX-XMN. We need to raise the frequency cap back up to ~50 from each side. I don't care if AA and DL don't have planes to fly them. The Chinese airlines do, and their presence will save us all a lot of money!
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:45 am

CAAC would have given up Russian overflights on existing routes.
No, they wouldn't have, and they didn't. The proof is in the pudding.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by narvik
More flights?

Air China: Starting from May 27, Air China will operate flight CA981 from Beijing to New York every Saturday, and flight CA982 from New York to Beijing every Sunday.China Eastern Airlines: Beginning on May 20, China Eastern Airlines will offer flight MU583 from Shanghai to Los Angeles every Saturday, and flight MU586 from Los Angeles to Shanghai every Sunday.

China Southern Airlines: From May 29, China Southern Airlines will operate flight CZ327 from Guangzhou to Los Angeles every Monday, and flight CZ328 from Los Angeles to Guangzhou every Tuesday.

Xiamen Airlines: Starting May 30, Xiamen Airlines will run flight MF829 from Xiamen to Los Angeles every Tuesday, and flight MF830 from Los Angeles to Xiamen every Wednesday.

https://www.shine.cn/news/nation/2305208093/

I find it hard to believe that this flight actually requires 16.5 hours en route. If so, that means a 3a arrival is conceivable (very ugly, I know).

I've also only been able to get Economy to show on Google flights, and not every Sunday. But, $2300 to get yourself to NY nonstop is not horrible.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 7:40 pm

I find it hard to believe that this flight actually requires 16.5 hours en route. If so, that means a 3a arrival is conceivable (very ugly, I know).

I've also only been able to get Economy to show on Google flights, and not every Sunday. But, $2300 to get yourself to NY nonstop is not horrible.
That particular flight (28MAY CA982) departed at 06:21Z and arrived at 21:54Z (total 15:33 spent), so factoring extra time for delays/WX, I can see why 16.5 hours is scheduled.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tauphi
I've seen plenty of Chinese tour groups headed to Russia. Russia is visa-free for Chinese nationals when travelling in an organised tour group.
Pre Covid lots of Chinese visited Russia. Now I’d guess this article is correct and not too many are that excited to visit there. Most of my personal contacts want to go to the USA or EU and many hope to stay there. Unless cargo business is booming, the Russia flights are throwing a political bone to Vlad and the eternal friendship.

https://www.sixthtone.com/news/1012955
moondog and gudugan like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:37 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by plunet
Coverage to/from Beijing from Heathrow is very poor at the moment.

PVG: Between BA, Virgin, MU and CA there are around 4 daily flights
CAN: Daily flight with CZ
PEK: One flight a week with CA
PKX: Daily flight with CZ

XIY: Three weekly flights with TS (Tianjin)
TAO: Three weekly flights with JD (Beijing Capital)
CSX: Three weekly flights with HU

The pattern for HU group airlines immediately above seems to be to fly from 2nd tier airports to/from LHR.

I think that's the summary of what's going between LHR and China at the moment, but I might have missed something.
Even pre-pandemic the number of direct flights between China and the UK was noted to be less than France / Germany with LH and AF/KL doing good work with their China based partners.
Usually HU and its brothers will fly whenever there's subsidy calling.
uanj and narvik like this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 12:41 pm
formerly rt23456p

Originally Posted by Philipp Morgenstern
MU most frequent European destination is surprisingly Moscow. They fly 3x weekly from Xian and PKX, plus Daily to PVG. I wonder why four different Chinese airlines get to compete on the Beijing Moscow route but not any other European route, because during the rest of the northern summer CA, CZ, HU will fly daily from Beijing to Moscow, plus MU 3x.
Likely connections, as Beijing can offer connection to the majority of the Chinese population(except you are in Xinjiang) without any detours compared to Middle Eastern Airlines.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Sec'y Blinken just finished trip to China and from reports discussed opening up more flights to and from USA and seemingly made some progress. Does anyone know what was agreed to?
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
Sec'y Blinken just finished trip to China and from reports discussed opening up more flights to and from USA and seemingly made some progress. Does anyone know what was agreed to?
No details have been released. I would love to see more flights to China.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
No details have been released. I would love to see more flights to China.
Blinken's direct involvement is a good sign IMO. My guess is that new flights will launch in September (i.e. after the summer US-Europe demand falls), and we'll get ~10 more weekly frequencies on each side.
narvik likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Blinken's direct involvement is a good sign IMO. My guess is that new flights will launch in September (i.e. after the summer US-Europe demand falls), and we'll get ~10 more weekly frequencies on each side.
I think he's just getting the ball moving and probably trying to give something to the Chinese. They seem to want flights to the US more badly. Ultimately, isn't this Buttigieg's file?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.