Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by boat stuck
Latest rumor swirling on Wechat:

China will remove restrictions on international travel by January 9, and move to the 0+3 system that Hong Kong is using for international arrivals.
To add to this rumor, I heard there might be an intermediate step sometime in December of 3+3.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YariGuy
To add to this rumor, I heard there might be an intermediate step sometime in December of 3+3.
If the 0+3 rumor pans out, you might want to postpone your return until it kicks in. I'm pretty sure you would dislike even 3 days in a q hotel.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:47 pm

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by moondog
If the 0+3 rumor pans out, you might want to postpone your return until it kicks in. I'm pretty sure you would dislike even 3 days in a q hotel.
My thoughts exactly. Right now I'm scheduled for 12/30 so will be paying close attention.
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I'm in final count-down mode now....10 more days....and I am outta here!

Just let two in the office work from home as of tomorrow, as they were traveling to work by bus.
Really feel terrible for what's about to happen here, and somewhat guilty for leaving everyone behind...

Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik

Just let two in the office work from home as of tomorrow, as they were traveling to work by bus.
Really feel terrible for what's about to happen here, and somewhat guilty for leaving everyone behind...

Youre excited to leave because they are ending zero Covid? I dont understand. What do you feel terrible about? The end of lockdowns or the end of testing?
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum

Please stay! Share the burden with your comrades in Shanghai as zero COVID becomes COVID everywhere.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: BAEC
There is liltle doubt that it will get worse before it gets better, but hopefully it doesn't result in a meltdown and too many lives being lost.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Youre excited to leave because they are ending zero Covid? I dont understand. What do you feel terrible about? The end of lockdowns or the end of testing?
Maybe they've been stuck in China and need to get the bivalent BioNTech or Moderna mRNA booster in their home country.

I don't think there's any bivalent or Omicron specific vaccine available in China yet, but Cansino is pretty close with an Ad5 Omicron vaccine (better than inactivated).
Old Dec 8, 2022, 5:16 pm

You’re excited to leave because they are ending zero Covid? I don’t understand. What do you feel terrible about? The end of lockdowns or the end of testing?
I was always going to go home before Christmas, and yes, excited to be back home for the holidays.
Feel bad for leaving all co-workers behind during these unsettling times!
YariGuy likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 8, 2022 at 8:16 pm
Old Dec 9, 2022, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was always going to go home before Christmas, and yes, excited to be back home for the holidays.
Feel bad for leaving all co-workers behind during these unsettling times!

My coworkers must be different from yours. They are all fired up for the ending of all the restrictions which they grew incredibly tired of over the past year.
narvik likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2022, 12:57 pm

My coworkers must be different from yours. They are all fired up for the ending of all the restrictions which they grew incredibly tired of over the past year.
Yeah, I bet there's quite extreme differences in attitudes across China and across regions, even within cities.
We've been pretty isolated where we are, despite still being in Beijing. I am not surprised that attitudes and experiences around here are not the same as in others areas.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:52 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
For much of April and May, the local government in Shanghai effectively was the central government. They have also taken active roles in other spotlight situations.
Ok, now Im starting to believe it:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=premium-asia

Govt underreporting figures and Beijing looking like HK fifth wave.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by percysmith

Apart from "fewer tests ---> fewer positives", how are they underreporting?
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:50 pm

We went from daily tests to no tests at all. The reported ~1000 cases/day are actually more like 300'000/day.
gudugan likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 10:58 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Indeed - the phrase "under-reporting" is too loaded with meaning. It's much more the case at the moment they simply DHAFC (the first part of that abbreviation is "don't have a" and the last is "clue" - you can fill in the F as you wish). My wife went out earlier today and none of the local testing stations were operating. More than 10% of my wife's team at work have had a fever over the last few days, but less than half of those have been able to get an antigen-test (those that could all tested positive - not that it really matters either way).

Originally Posted by percysmith

I am honestly surprised you still had any doubts.

I think we are all tired of the madness of the last couple of years, but I share Narvik's foreboding. Despite all the new messaging about the mild nature of the virus (which of course is true - don't misunderstand my point here), the fact is that we are now in this situation at the start of winter and still with far from ideal 3-dose vaccination numbers for the elderly, and this should be seen (and I suspect eventually will) as a failure. I genuinely hope though that I am wrong, and somehow China can pull off this exit from their previous stance without suffering similar results as seen in Hong Kong earlier this year. As an aside a current joke doing the circuits here is that the opinions of Chinese epidemiological experts mutate faster than the virus.

The next couple of months are going to be unpleasant I feel in many regards, though we have the fact that on the other side, sometime early in 2023 we can all look forward to rejoining the globe again.
m.y, narvik and gudugan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.