Reload this Page >

China Bans entry of Foreigners

Old Mar 26, 20, 11:44 am
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO

China bans foreigners with a few exceptions.

China on Thursday announced a temporary ban on entry of foreigners holding valid visas or residence permits and drastically cut international flights in a bid to prevent a second wave of infections amid a surge in the number of imported cases in the country.In a late-night announcement on Thursday night (March 26), its foreign ministry said only diplomats, those engaged in emergency humanitarian work, or “necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities” and those with C visas are exempted from the suspension, which will begin Saturday.

C visas are given to foreigners who provide international transportation services.

SCMP: https://www.scmp.com/news/china/arti...on-spreadChina will ban most foreigners from entering the country starting at midnight on Friday in an effort to block the spread of the coronavirus through imported cases.

With several exceptions, including transit visas and foreigners arriving via Hong Kong and Macau with short-term entry permits, entry visas issued to foreigners will be suspended as an “interim measure”, according to a statement late Thursday by the country’s foreign ministry.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China National Immigration Administration Announcement on the Temporary Suspension of Entry by Foreign Nationals Holding Valid Chinese Visas or Residence PermitsMarch 26, 2020

In view of the rapid spread of COVID-19 across the world, China has decided to temporarily suspend the entry into China by foreign nationals holding visas or residence permits still valid to the time of this announcement, effective from 0 a.m., 28 march 2020. Entry by foreign nationals with APEC Business Travel Cards will be suspended as well. Policies including port visas, 24/72/144-hour visa-free transit policy, Hainan 30-day visa-free policy, 15-day visa-free policy specified for foreign cruise-group-tour through Shanghai Port, Guangdong 144-hour visa-free policy specified for foreign tour groups from Hong Kong or Macao SAR, and Guangxi 15-day visa-free policy specified for foreign tour groups of ASEAN countries will also be temporarily suspended. Entry with diplomatic, service, courtesy or C visas will not be affected. Foreign nationals coming to China for necessary economic, trade, scientific or technological activities or out of emergency humanitarian needs may apply for visas at Chinese embassies or consulates. Entry by foreign nationals with visas issued after this announcement will not be affected.

The suspension is a temporary measure that China is compelled to take in light of the outbreak situation and the practices of other countries. China will stay in close touch with all sides and properly handle personnel exchanges with the rest of the world under the special circumstances. The above-mentioned measures will be calibrated in light of the evolving situation and announced accordingly.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China

National Immigration Administration

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Mar 26, 20 at 2:37 pm
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:00 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Good thing then that most 2nd-wave cases are from Chinese nationals...
Lehava likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 3:31 pm

I don't know the numbers of course, but I think it's a reasonable guess that a great many "foreigners" who've been entering China in recent weeks are former Chinese nationals or their family members holding overseas citizenship. Given the quarantine, the number of foreigners heading to China without family or other very strong ties there has probably been just a handful or two.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Good thing then that most 2nd-wave cases are from Chinese nationals...
+1
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
and I just got my 10 year visa renewed
Old Mar 27, 20, 5:25 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
No witnesses
Old Mar 27, 20, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Julian_Maxim View Post
They did it only recently?
Starting after midnight Beijing time on Friday, March 27, 2020, which is 11:59 pm plus 1 minute. GMT + 8 hrs

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Mar 27, 20 at 6:39 am
Old Mar 27, 20, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Old Mar 27, 20, 7:30 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Tri-State Turducken, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Originally Posted by 889 View Post
I don't know the numbers of course, but I think it's a reasonable guess that a great many "foreigners" who've been entering China in recent weeks are former Chinese nationals or their family members holding overseas citizenship. Given the quarantine, the number of foreigners heading to China without family or other very strong ties there has probably been just a handful or two.
Do you know the process to abandon Chinese citizenship? Isn't it illegal for Chinese nationals to have dual citizenship (thus, why so many hide the fact)?
Old Mar 27, 20, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento View Post
Do you know the process to abandon Chinese citizenship? Isn't it illegal for Chinese nationals to have dual citizenship (thus, why so many hide the fact)?

Article 9 Any Chinese national who has settled abroad and who has been naturalized as a foreign national or has acquired foreign nationality of his own free will shall automatically lose Chinese nationality.

I think under certain conditions if you were born in US and ethnic chinese you can be considered a chinese national if on China soil.

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Mar 27, 20 at 8:07 am
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:04 pm

"Isn't it illegal for Chinese nationals to have dual citizenship (thus, why so many hide the fact)?"

That is why I very very carefully said in my post "former Chinese nationals." If you were born in China and try to get a visa in your new foreign passport, the consulate/embassy will first want to see that you've had documents like your Chinese passport cancelled.

Yes, many evade the requirement since travelling around China is easier with Chinese ID. But there are practical problems that can make this risky: arriving and departing and showing that foreign passport at check-in among them.

Note that if born overseas to Chinese-citizen parents, you can be considered a Chinese citizen -- and get a Chinese passport -- even if you've never set foot on Chinese soil.
Old Today, 12:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, SPG
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any foreigners here in China travelling domestically? Now that China is loosening the quarantine restrictions I would like to use up some of my annual leave and travel within China.

I have been in China since Jan 1st do I don't have an issue getting into China (I'm already here) but I would like to maybe take a long weekend in Sanya or something. I am just concerned that I would draw too much attention at the airport as a foreigner even travelling domestically. Last weekend I went for a drive with some other foreigner friends to visit some local parks and we were stopped several times and at one place we were told no foreigners were allowed.
Old Today, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by navarcht View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but are there any foreigners here in China travelling domestically? Now that China is loosening the quarantine restrictions I would like to use up some of my annual leave and travel within China.

I have been in China since Jan 1st do I don't have an issue getting into China (I'm already here) but I would like to maybe take a long weekend in Sanya or something. I am just concerned that I would draw too much attention at the airport as a foreigner even travelling domestically. Last weekend I went for a drive with some other foreigner friends to visit some local parks and we were stopped several times and at one place we were told no foreigners were allowed.
There are too many unpublished/haphazard policies around China now to make traveling a good idea. Last I heard Hainan was quarantining anyone coming from another province for 14 days anyhow so that probably kills your Sanya idea. There seems to be no official policy on this nationwide, but as a foreign looking person I'd stay in my own city for the time being. Although I'd love to hop on a train to Suzhou or Hangzhou this weekend, I'm gonna stay in Shanghai because I don't know what trouble I'll have regarding quarantine or even getting a hotel. I'm targeting the 5-1 holiday for travel.
Old Today, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelinmanS View Post
There are too many unpublished/haphazard policies around China now to make traveling a good idea. Last I heard Hainan was quarantining anyone coming from another province for 14 days anyhow so that probably kills your Sanya idea. There seems to be no official policy on this nationwide, but as a foreign looking person I'd stay in my own city for the time being. Although I'd love to hop on a train to Suzhou or Hangzhou this weekend, I'm gonna stay in Shanghai because I don't know what trouble I'll have regarding quarantine or even getting a hotel. I'm targeting the 5-1 holiday for travel.
I'm not especially worried about finding hotels that would accept me, but these intra-China quarantines have been popping up in random places (e.g. Nanning), often with almost no notice. That is a pretty strong deterrent.
Old Today, 3:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott, SPG
Good points to consider and you're right. Just about anyone with a red armband can tell you to quarantine and there's not much that can be done about it. I expect that there is going to be some heightened fear/concerns with laowais soon.

I am just going a bit stir crazy and I have 3 weeks of annual leave to use up this month and no where to go. It would be fine if I was in Shanghai or Nanjing but there's not much to choose from here.... the only expats I see when I walk about town is when I pass a mirror!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: