Wiki Posts
Search

China Bans entry of Foreigners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:05 pm
Ambassador: China
Original Poster

Programs: UA AA CO
Yes Shanghai has great bars and clubs. Lots of fun and friendly people. Nice views of skyline. Went to cloud 9 at jinmao tower when they first opened...cool place.
Those photos are the infamous bar at Ritan Park. Never went there but did go to the russian bar down the street.

Always had a great time when traveling to China. Food is best in the world and plenty of smiling faces.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Now y'all are making me nostalgic for Barbarossa at Peace Park in Shanghai...
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Bund should have some good bartenders. Mainly spent time in French Concession and Pudong. Beautiful city!
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Best cocktail bars in Shanghai are in the French Concession and Jing'an areas. The bund has the views but those areas have the goods. I'm hoping I'll be able to travel to Beijing at least this summer. I like living in Shanghai but there is a fun vibe in Beijing when the weather is warm and everyone is eating meat sticks on the street and pounding beers with their shirts off.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
Now y'all are making me nostalgic for Barbarossa at Peace Park in Shanghai...
Park 97 at Fuxing Park
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Best cocktail bars in Shanghai are in the French Concession and Jing'an areas. .
Would fly over to Shanghai for the weekend.
Never sleep just party straight for 2 days..so much fun!
Old Apr 3, 2020, 7:59 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
I agree with that.

Ridiculous... they're both missing the plume of cigarette smoke, and the cups for 說謊者的骰子.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Ridiculous... they're both missing the plume of cigarette smoke, and the cups for 說謊者的骰子.
Maggie's was well ventilated, even in 1996, and the smoking ban is fairly effective these days. I'm sure they have dice there, available upon request. Incidentally, we used to end up there fairly often to cap off night's out during the late 90s because they had one of the best sound systems in Beijing at the time. I also wouldn't put it in the dive bar category, and I'll leave it at that. The true dive bars during that era were clustered in SLT and Wudaokou.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Drink holder?

Old Apr 3, 2020, 6:32 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
Maggie's was well ventilated, even in 1996, and the smoking ban is fairly effective these days. I'm sure they have dice there, available upon request. Incidentally, we used to end up there fairly often to cap off night's out during the late 90s because they had one of the best sound systems in Beijing at the time. I also wouldn't put it in the dive bar category, and I'll leave it at that. The true dive bars during that era were clustered in SLT and Wudaokou.
Oh...hmm, I was making a generalized comment re: smoking and shaizi (at Chinese bars and discotheques). I haven't been to a bar in Beijing since 2009, but in Shenzhen and Dongguan, smoking still seem to be the norm.

Wouldn't you and the other China expats say that even if smoking is banned somewhere, stairwells and restrooms become THE places to do it? Shenzhen North is one example, Zhangjiajie Airport another.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Oh...hmm, I was making a generalized comment re: smoking and shaizi (at Chinese bars and discotheques). I haven't been to a bar in Beijing since 2009, but in Shenzhen and Dongguan, smoking still seem to be the norm.
The smoking bans in Beijing and Shanghai have honestly been pretty effective. Part of it has to do with enforcement, and part of it has to do with customer compliance (i.e. nobody wants to be "that guy"). To be fair, some establishments do ignore the rules, but these are few and far between. I realize that Shenzhen --and many other cities-- are different in this respect.

Wouldn't you and the other China expats say that even if smoking is banned somewhere, stairwells and restrooms become THE places to do it? Shenzhen North is one example, Zhangjiajie Airport another.
I was at a fifth floor restaurant/bar last week, and people were smoking in the stairwell...the first time I've seen this in quite some time.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Smokers more resilient to corona virus in chinese study. That could account for the low numbers per capita.

Decreased levels of angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2), the reported host receptor of the virus responsible of COVID-19 (severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2; SARS-CoV-2), are observed in smokers.

Active smoking is not associated with severity of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19)
https://www.ejinme.com/article/S0953-6205(20)30110-2/fulltext

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Apr 3, 2020 at 11:13 pm
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Smokers more resilient to corona virus in chinese study. That could account for the low numbers per capita.

https://www.ejinme.com/article/S0953...110-2/fulltext
Is there another study that you forgot to link?

Your linked article doesn't come remotely close to supporting the text I bolded above.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
More resilient to becoming infected or more resilient to sever symptoms and bad outcomes?

My impression is that the data shows that smokers are more likely to have severe symptoms, be hospitalized (but this depends on the country/culture), go to an ICU, be intubated or placed on a respirator or similar, and die. This would be conditional on testing as positive, which in most countries means first being exposed or exhibiting symptoms, or both (again depending on the country and time period).
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

quoting article...doesn't imply it's a cure or creates immunity..that's contrary to any other english language article I have read on this specific topic. Although I did read several articles about tobacco companies attempting to grow plants containing antigen or some type of cure related remedy. I suppose the statement should be qualified as to more resilient than having conditions related to for example obesity.
https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditi...vid-19-obesity

According to the World Obesity Federation, “obesity-related conditions seem to worsen the effect of COVID-19; indeed, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported that people with heart disease and diabetes are at higher risk of COVID-19 complications.”

ejinme article
"smoking does not apparently seem to be signicantly associated with enhanced risk of progressing towards severe disease in COVID-19."

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Apr 4, 2020 at 2:00 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.