Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgently Need Printable Maps of Shanghai and Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
That charger - I cannot tell from any of the photos on the Amazon page if the power is clearly marked on the outside of the charger. That might be an issue? If security cannot tell if it meets the requirements or not? The power bank I have (OLD) has small printing on the back side with the specs, and I try to be careful not to leave it out in my bag where those specs could rub off over time ;-)
The seller wouldn't have a good rating if he sold unlabeled power packs.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by joer1212
You stated that GPS can be much more accurate with the internet turned on. Is it often inaccurate when it's off? Will it mislead me? That would be counterproductive, and I'd be better off not using it in that case.
You should be fine, but just keep in mind that GPS doesn't work so well when you're underground.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:41 pm

I'm flying Air China back to JFK from PEK.
How would I seek approval? By email? At the airport?
Also, are there similar restrictions for battery size in other countries (such as Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong), or is China especially restrictive?

I already regret that I purchased this charger.
While the output voltage of the power bank is 5V (per USB spec, nothing to do with the actual energy capacity of the battery), the battery cells inside are Li-Ion cells (although the description says LiPo, but that would seem scary), which should have a nominal voltage of 3.7V. So it's under 100Wh.

The question would be how it's actually labeled and how smart the security guys are. I have a similar size power bank I've taken through Chinese airport security many times, but the Wh capacity is labeled, not just mAh.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
You should be fine, but just keep in mind that GPS doesn't work so well when you're underground.
I know, but I'll only avail myself of the GPS when I'm navigating the streets.

Originally Posted by WFBtheV
While the output voltage of the power bank is 5V (per USB spec, nothing to do with the actual energy capacity of the battery), the battery cells inside are Li-Ion cells (although the description says LiPo, but that would seem scary), which should have a nominal voltage of 3.7V. So it's under 100Wh.

The question would be how it's actually labeled and how smart the security guys are. I have a similar size power bank I've taken through Chinese airport security many times, but the Wh capacity is labeled, not just mAh.
Thanks for that info and very good points. Hopefully, security will be too lazy to press the issue and will just let my battery pass. The only question is whether such restrictions exist in other countries, including the United States. I will have to look into that.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 26, 2019 at 7:58 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member on same issue.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then the vast majority of these people must either be on guided tours, or they're not exploring cities to the extent that I am on a tight schedule. That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.
I can't imagine that a printed map of a place like Shanghai is of much value. The city is simply too big, how do you reasonably locate yourself on the map? While I have never attempted to use a detailed map of Shanghai I have used Google Maps on lesser cities. It's not a good experience but it gets the job done, something I wouldn't expect to accomplish with paper.

Yes, things can happen to electronics--but things can also happen to paper. Personally, I have found wide view maps to have value in planning what order to see things in and to see if there are interesting things along my route--neither of which requires high detail. (Note that the first part of this is handled reasonably well by TripAdvisor. Add your objectives to a trip and display it.) So long as I have the address I'm staying at tucked away I'm perfectly fine with heading out with only an electronic map. (In the wilderness I carry a paper map, also, but that's part of my emergency gear, I do not expect to ever use it. To date the only time the map has left my pack was to show somebody the lay of the land.)
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I was loathe to mention anything, since the OP is...particular.

I can say from the dozens of times I've passed through PEK with a battery pack, over 90% of the time, the security folks check the Wh rating of the battery ...I can't comment on whether they are up for some quick arithmetic if it's not labelled, since mine are...If the OP can speak Chinese (I suspect not) they may be able to explain it away, otherwise would recommend buying something with a clear <100 Wh label.

tb
Old Sep 25, 2019, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, a tiny smartphone screen (that relies on a battery that can die on you) is an "ideal" means of navigating an unknown location?
Far better than paper. Mine's not going to die on me, I always have a power bank with me if I'm using anything but my car to get around.

Originally Posted by ecaarch
During my three visits to China (Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Shanghai and Beijing) I too was stymied in my quest for subway maps. I ultimately found pdf maps online from the transit agencies' websites, printed two copies of each in color on 11x17 paper, and folded them small enough that they would fit in my pocket. Decidedly low-tech but highly effective. Advise to the OP - do not expect to find printed transit maps (like distributed of the Tube in London).
I can't recall being in a Chinese subway station without finding many route maps on big boards. All you need is to know what station you are going to and you would need that for a paper map, also.

For my walking at street level, I just relied on Google maps on my mobile. While I've heard that Google maps is restricted in some areas of China, I didn't encounter any issues in my travels. However, during my first visit to Guangzhou, the battery on my mobile ran perilously low. On subsequent trips, a small portable battery solved that problem. Advise to the OP - when you go through security at the airport in China, they will want the portable battery removed and separately inspected. I've run into that twice at PVG and once at CAN. It's no big deal - just follow the instructions that you are given.
You need a VPN.

Will I have an issue bringing my power bar on my carry on? I will not be checking luggage, as I always travel light.
FYI: I will be entering Shanghai by plane from Taipei; entering Beijing from Shanghai by train, and leaving Beijing for New York by plane.
One thing to check: Make sure the capacity is printed on it. There have been reports of problems with unmarked units not being allowed to fly in China. (Probably a strict rule--not marked as below the 100Wh limit = banned, avoid any disputes that one was obviously below 100Wh.)

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
If it meets the power requirement (less than 100wh?) and the power is clearly marked on the battery, it should be ok....

[yes, husband inadvertently threw an extra camera battery in his checked bag at PVG and we were called to come collect it before we'd even left the check-in counter area....]
Yup, I've made that mistake also. The battery normally was in my laptop bag but I had transferred it to a daypack. I failed to transfer it back and put the daypack in a suitcase, they caught it.

Oh, yes, that's why I was so pleasantly surprised. I had previously been under the impression that you have to be online to use GPS. That's why I said I would have been more sympathetic to the idea of using my phone as a navigation aid had I known that you don't.

You stated that GPS can be much more accurate with the internet turned on. Is it often inaccurate when it's off? Will it mislead me? That would be counterproductive, and I'd be better off not using it in that case.
Under good conditions GPS has a stated accuracy of 10 meters and in my experience that's pessimistic--it usually can place me closer than that. (Note that your elevation fix is usually less accurate than this, but that is very unlikely to be of concern to you.) However, a big city is not good conditions--all those tall buildings reflect the signal. That will mess with the accuracy of your fix (an intermediate result in locating you is to figure out exactly how far away each satellite it sees is. However, if the signal is bouncing off a building the satellite appears farther away than it really is) and in extreme conditions it can play havoc with it. (A few weeks ago I was between two sheer rock walls, maybe 500' apart and hundreds of feet high. My GPS showed me going back and forth between them while I was really sitting down eating.)

Originally Posted by tauphi
Interesting. For quite some time Google had disallowed people from downloading offline maps in China. I guess they've found the money to pay for the licence
Doesn't work for me. Perhaps it's the other way around--maybe he got his before they put that restriction in and it's not stopping him from updating it.

Originally Posted by tauphi
It states a voltage of 5V so the that's 24.8*5 = 124Wh. That's between 100Wh and 160Wh and you would need to seek approval from your carrier before carrying it onboard.
Yeah, but it's actually just under the limit. What's going on is the labels are deceptive--they are stating the capacity of the battery, not what it can actually deliver. The battery is 3.7 volts, not 5 volts.

Originally Posted by WFBtheV
Didn't see that--you're right. Multiple places on that page say it's LiPo. Send that garbage back! One should not be casually using LiPo batteries, period. I can't find anything about whether LiPo is allowed on a plane at all, everything I can find discusses the limits for Li-Ion. Nobody should be making LiPo power banks.

I was wondering why it was lighter than other batteries of it's size, now I know why.

Lithium batteries are not something to cheap out on. Good brands only.
Hoyaheel likes this.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 26, 2019 at 8:00 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member; please use multi-quote feature. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Didn't see that--you're right. Multiple places on that page say it's LiPo. Send that garbage back! One should not be casually using LiPo batteries, period. I can't find anything about whether LiPo is allowed on a plane at all, everything I can find discusses the limits for Li-Ion. Nobody should be making LiPo power banks.

I was wondering why it was lighter than other batteries of it's size, now I know why.

Wow, I had no idea about this distinction. Thanks for bringing it to our attention:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...just-different

Back to the main topic, you mentioned maps inside subway stations, and I recalled that I often seek these out when in new places in order to identify the best exit to use. This drill can suck up a few minutes, but is often easier than pulling up station maps from my phone, and I'm sure that the OP would appreciate the larger scale maps next to the station maps that show the exits in the context of the local area. Regardless of how you identify and find optimal exits, it's worth the effort, particularly in large stations that may have 20+ exits.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

Too late at this point. It already shipped, and I'm leaving pretty soon. If this battery can last my whole trip, and make it through airport security in all the countries I'm visiting, I'll be happy and consider it money well spent.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:46 pm

Too late at this point. It already shipped, and I'm leaving pretty soon. If this battery can last my whole trip, and make it through airport security in all the countries I'm visiting, I'll be happy and consider it money well spent.
Can't you buy a new one at a physical store, and send back the one you ordered?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:37 am

Doesn't work for me. Perhaps it's the other way around--maybe he got his before they put that restriction in and it's not stopping him from updating it.
I tried it on my Pixel and it worked for Shanghai. But you have to zoom in far enough for it to let you download the map.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Can't you buy a new one at a physical store, and send back the one you ordered?
Physical stores have little selection where I live.
Anyway, the battery arrived today, and it's clearly labeled as having "91.7Wh", so I'm good.
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
I started my travelling hobby with paper maps and a red pen as well... and still collect tourist maps from odd places.. Many people have already given you a lot of reasons and assurances that phone based maps are better and reliable... I agree with them 100% based on 10+ years of using one travelling to twice as many countries as you. I admit that China may be the most unreliable place for phone internet access and google map access.

If you haven't left already... I have a suggestion that helps me greatly in my travels:

1. Print out the name and address of the places you want to visit in Chinese (local language). So, if/when you get lost, and the tall buildings are obscuring your compass and the position of the sun and stars, you can ask someone nearby (easy in Shanghai and Taipei!) to point you there. You don't need to speak any Chinese. In fact, based on reading this thread, I think it is better if you keep your mouth shut and point to the destination and give your best dumb look. ;-)

I've had 100% success in this method in at least 20 foreign countries... In some specially memorable occasions, the person I asked drove me there (Gent), Subway worker drove me around to find my particular IBIS hotel in a suburb of Paris I don't have the address to, In Nagoya, the bus driver parked his bus, grabbed my hand and walked me a block to point me in the direction of Nagoya castle (it was 7am on a Saturday. no other riders). The only place I had less than pleasant response was actually in my birth place - Hong Kong, where people swore at me and call me stupid/crazy for trying to walk 15-20 minutes to a place, or sometimes just randomly point in a direction.
Old Oct 19, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Please do report back on your success/problems after you get back! I'm personally curious as to how you like the blue skies in Taipei... :-)
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:04 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
couldn't agree more

I need a map that is up to date enough to include all the metro stations (with names) that currently exist. I'll accept a map from 2016 or 2017, but no earlier. China is a fast-developing country. Street maps of Shanghai from just a few years ago only show about 5 metro lines. There are now over a dozen.

Also, it isn't very useful to me to have an incomplete map that omits a part of a city that I'm exploring. I think this is self-evident.

A permanent marker's point isn't fine enough to write small print on a detailed map. I can only do this with a fine point pen.

6 years ago, I wouldn't have posted this question here. I would have simply printed a perfect map from either Google or Michelin (both of which have declined) and been on my merry way. The fact that I had to resort to posting here speaks volumes about how hard it is to find things that I used to take for granted.
I have no interest in going out sightseeing with my nose in my phone. Paper maps are MUCH better for a traveller, all the way around. You scope out your "route", put the map in your pocket, and pull it back out when you're totally lost. If you're headed for a specific building, you can use a highlighter or write down the directions ON A PIECE OF PAPER ahead of time, so you can just walk right over there. It's sad that ViaMichelin has disappeared ... I'll have a look at the site tomorrow; I need maps of Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. As for Google, I sometimes search for a map and directions just so I can laugh at them. "Go here, turn there, stop". They're absolutely USELESS. I wonder if there's a business opportunity here for someone ... selling maps of specifics that we pick out on a website ... say the 25 blocks in all directions from our hotel. I'd be delighted to pay to obtain a map like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.