Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Urgently Need Printable Maps of Shanghai and Taipei

Old Sep 22, 19, 11:09 am
Original Poster

I will be visiting these cities in less than 3 weeks. I will be lost without detailed and up to date paper maps of these cities. They must include all the metro stations and their names, or they will be useless to me (I have a couple of older maps of these cities and can't use them precisely for this reason).

I haven't been able to find anything good on the internet. The ones for sale are either exorbitantly expensive, or you can't preview them to see if they're suitable.
Google maps is just a nightmare, as you have to zoom in to a ridiculous degree in order to see most street names. Just awful and terribly overrated.

I've downloaded maps.me, but I never rely on electronic devices (which can fail) when I'm traveling to an unknown city (they're also a cumbersome and inefficient way to navigate a city).

Links are appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by joer1212; Sep 22, 19 at 11:15 am
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before the internet became easily accessible pretty much everywhere, I swore by the Lonely Planet, especially for longer trips in obscure areas. I'm guessing they still make print editions, so you might consider dropping by a bookstore to see if they are to your liking. Unfortunately, Taiwan is not included in the big China book, so you'd be looking at the smaller city specific books instead. They presumably aren't completely up to date wrt to new metro lines, let alone restaurant directories, but the most important metro lines have been around for a while in both cities, and you can always grab English publications like Time Out to stay on top of current listings.

One more thought from yesteryear: most hotels provide (advertiser supported) print maps if you ask. I used to like these, even if the level of detail wasn't stellar, because circling my hotel and places I wanted to go was an easy and efficient system...certainly preferable to printing out (and later fumbling through) 20 sheets of paper.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Before the internet became easily accessible pretty much everywhere, I swore by the Lonely Planet, especially for longer trips in obscure areas. I'm guessing they still make print editions, so you might consider dropping by a bookstore to see if they are to your liking. Unfortunately, Taiwan is not included in the big China book, so you'd be looking at the smaller city specific books instead. They presumably aren't completely up to date wrt to new metro lines, let alone restaurant directories, but the most important metro lines have been around for a while in both cities, and you can always grab English publications like Time Out to stay on top of current listings.

One more thought from yesteryear: most hotels provide (advertiser supported) print maps if you ask. I used to like these, even if the level of detail wasn't stellar, because circling my hotel and places I wanted to go was an easy and efficient system...certainly preferable to printing out (and later fumbling through) 20 sheets of paper.
For the life of me, I don't understand how paper maps can go out of style, when no one has even come up with a better replacement for them. There should be so many up-to-date printable maps of Shanghai and Taipei on the internet (and for sale) that I should have trouble selecting which one to use. Instead, what happens? Printable maps somehow mysteriously go out of style, and no one can tell me what I'm supposed to replace them with. Just unbelievable. I mean, how the heck do people navigate new cities without a map?? Do they use a smartphone? Just LOL.

P.S. the hotel maps are a joke. I'm better off with the maps I have now from 2006.
HotelHacker likes this.

Last edited by joer1212; Sep 22, 19 at 12:34 pm
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joer1212 View Post
I honestly don't understand how paper maps can go out of style, when no one has even come up with a better replacement for them. There should so many up-to-date printable maps of Shanghai and Taipei on the internet (and for sale) that I should have trouble selecting which one to use. Instead, what happens? Printable maps somehow mysteriously go out of style, and no one can tell me what I'm supposed to replace them with. Just unbelievable. I mean, how the heck do people navigate new cities without a map??
Assuming free maps still exist, I can't imagine that making paid maps would be an attractive business pursuit in current times.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Well I am using ebay UK and came up with these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...i+map&_sacat=0 and there seems to be plenty - so much so that I didn't look for the most up to date one but I have to think that one of them would have what you need. I don't think paper maps will ever go out of style - in fact I was looking for maps for the Pennine Way and the South Downs Way earlier and there are more than I expected. I will be amazed if you cannot find something.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:38 pm

Your prayers will be answered if you go to Amazon and search for something like "Shanghai map."
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

P.S. the hotel maps are a joke. I'm better off with the maps I have now from 2006.
Unless you're trying to find specific locations in complicated hutong neighborhoods, I'm hard pressed to think how you might benefit from the additional level of detail that a paid map might offer.
Old Sep 22, 19, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Assuming free maps still exist, I can't imagine that making paid maps would be an attractive business pursuit in current times.
Why not?? What's the alternative?
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
Your prayers will be answered if you go to Amazon and search for something like "Shanghai map."
I did that long before posting here. What's offered on Amazon (or on any other retailer for that matter) are maps that:

- don't have enough detail
- are not able to be previewed before I purchase them (even in miniature version)
- are incomplete
- are outdated
- are WAY too expensive ($200 for a Streetwise map of Shanghai? Really??!)
- are laminated (I need to write on them)

It's too bad that Google Maps became garbage when it was updated a few years ago. I used to print out detailed maps of huge cities (such as London and Moscow), with virtually all the street names included. In order to do this now, you'd have to zoom way in and print 40 pages to cover the whole city. I don't understand how Google thought this was a good idea.
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:44 pm

Sorry for trying to help you. I won't make the mistake again.
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. don't have enough detail
How much detail do you require? If you want to get down to individual residences in cities with populations of 10+ million, too much detail can be painful.
2. are not able to be previewed before I purchase them (even in miniature version)
Can't assist on this point unless I do some digging myself
3. are incomplete
This is another variation of point 1, so my response is the same
4. are outdated
Are we talking 1 year, 5 year, 10 years? I would say 2 years or more recent is probably good enough. As I mentioned up thread, you might miss out on a few subway lines, but subway lines tend to be built in order to importance (i.e. the oldest ones are the most useful)
5. are WAY too expensive ($200 for a Streetwise map of Shanghai? Really??!)
Well, then the free maps are probably worth a little more consideration. Or drop $15 each on LPs for Shanghai and Taipei.
6. are laminated (I need to write on them)
You can use a permanent marker if this is a deal breaker
7. It's too bad that Google Maps became garbage when it was updated a few years ago. I used to print out detailed maps of huge cities (such as London and Moscow), with virtually all the street names included. In order to do this now, you'd have to zoom way in and print 40 pages to cover the whole city. I don't understand how Google thought this was a good idea.
I agree that the decline of Google Maps is a bit of a shocker. My biggest current beef is that they show subway stations, but not subway lines (if there is a way to display them, I haven't figured it out yet). But, Baidu is still quite solid, and even useful if your Chinese reading ability isn't so great. If nothing else, you can compare them against subway route maps -- save all to your phone
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I apologize if you thought I was being rude to you. I wasn't. I'm just frustrated at how much things have changed for the worse to the point that I'm now expected to rely on hotel maps. This is just bad on so many levels, I don't know where to begin.
Millions of people manage to get along just fine without highly detailed print maps, so I'm quite sure you'll survive. As to where to begin, take a deep breath.
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

How much detail do you require? If you want to get down to individual residences in cities with populations of 10+ million, too much detail can be painful.

Can't assist on this point unless I do some digging myself

This is another variation of point 1, so my response is the same

Are we talking 1 year, 5 year, 10 years? I would say 2 years or more recent is probably good enough. As I mentioned up thread, you might miss out on a few subway lines, but subway lines tend to be built in order to importance (i.e. the oldest ones are the most useful)

Well, then the free maps are probably worth a little more consideration. Or drop $15 each on LPs for Shanghai and Taipei.

You can use a permanent marker if this is a deal breaker

I agree that the decline of Google Maps is a bit of a shocker. My biggest current beef is that they show subway stations, but not subway lines (if there is a way to display them, I haven't figured it out yet). But, Baidu is still quite solid, and even useful if your Chinese reading ability isn't so great. If nothing else, you can compare them against subway route maps -- save all to your phone
I need a map that is up to date enough to include all the metro stations (with names) that currently exist. I'll accept a map from 2016 or 2017, but no earlier. China is a fast-developing country. Street maps of Shanghai from just a few years ago only show about 5 metro lines. There are now over a dozen.

Also, it isn't very useful to me to have an incomplete map that omits a part of a city that I'm exploring. I think this is self-evident.

A permanent marker's point isn't fine enough to write small print on a detailed map. I can only do this with a fine point pen.

6 years ago, I wouldn't have posted this question here. I would have simply printed a perfect map from either Google or Michelin (both of which have declined) and been on my merry way. The fact that I had to resort to posting here speaks volumes about how hard it is to find things that I used to take for granted.

Last edited by joer1212; Sep 22, 19 at 3:01 pm
Old Sep 22, 19, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Millions of people manage to get along just fine without highly detailed print maps, so I'm quite sure you'll survive.
Then the vast majority of these people must either be on guided tours, or they're not exploring cities to the extent that I am on a tight schedule. That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.
Old Sep 22, 19, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Then the vast majority of these people must either be on guided tours, or they're not exploring cities to the extent that I am on a tight schedule. That's the only plausible explanation I can think of.
You are seriously overthinking this.
jerry a. laska and Silver Fox like this.

Search this Thread