Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai ground transportation thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by work2fly
I figured as much since our taxi last night from PVG and our taxi today to Wild Animal Park were both about 200 each.

Out of curiosity, what's the best way to handle this when it happens?
Call the service number on the receipt, and take it up with them. But, demanding to be taken to the hotel door would have been much easier.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by work2fly
I figured as much since our taxi last night from PVG and our taxi today to Wild Animal Park were both about 200 each.

Out of curiosity, what's the best way to handle this when it happens?
Only get out at the hotel door, and ask the doorman or concierge to handle it for you. I have had to do this twice over the years ( once in Shanghai, once in Bangkok),
and the result was a discounted taxi fare in one case, and a free ride in the other - the drivers had these choices or the police being involved.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I would add that if you take Subway line 2 from PVG into the city, be aware that you have to change trains at Guanglan Road station, even though no mention of it is made except for onboard announcements.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I would add that if you take Subway line 2 from PVG into the city, be aware that you have to change trains at Guanglan Road station, even though no mention of it is made except for onboard announcements.
It is clearly shown on all subway maps.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Best way to Port?

Originally Posted by moondog
Call the service number on the receipt, and take it up with them. But, demanding to be taken to the hotel door would have been much easier.
Moondog and others... What's the best way to get from our hotel... Courtyard Central to, I think it's called Baoyand Road Shipside Port..... Thanks... Jon
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarJon
Moondog and others... What's the best way to get from our hotel... Courtyard Central to, I think it's called Baoyand Road Shipside Port..... Thanks... Jon
Well, Line 3 can actually take you pretty much all the way without any transfers, and it's not especially crowded, but I would do Didi or a taxi myself.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1MM, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, BA, DL, TWA Royal Ambassador
Well, Line 3 can actually take you pretty much all the way without any transfers, and it's not especially crowded, but I would do Didi or a taxi myself.
Thank you for your quick response..... Does line 3 have elevator access... we'll each have a roll-a-board and suitcase. I loaded Didi and it is requesting access to my pictures, phone and files.... do you trust Didi?????? Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarJon
Thank you for your quick response..... Does line 3 have elevator access... we'll each have a roll-a-board and suitcase. I loaded Didi and it is requesting access to my pictures, phone and files.... do you trust Didi?????? Thanks!
I trust Didi as much as any other billion dollar Chinese company, for whatever that's worth. In light of the fact that you have luggage, I would NOT deal with the Line 3 drill. While there are elevators, as I mentioned in your other thread, the walk between your hotel and the train station is not pleasant (e.g. 300 meters underground). Didi will cost you ~Y50 v Y8 for the subway (assuming 2 people); the extra $5 is well worth it.
MarJon likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:01 pm

I trust Didi as much as any other billion dollar Chinese company, for whatever that's worth. In light of the fact that you have luggage, I would NOT deal with the Line 3 drill. While there are elevators, as I mentioned in your other thread, the walk between your hotel and the train station is not pleasant (e.g. 300 meters underground). Didi will cost you ~Y50 v Y8 for the subway (assuming 2 people); the extra $5 is well worth it.
Thank you for your advice!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Visiting Shanghai for the first time. Arriving at PVG around 1 p.m., staying at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao. Just for touristy curiosity reason, thinking of taking Maglev from PVG to Longyang Road, then take taxi to the hotel, I will have a checked luggage. Thinking of this just for curiosity reason and so I can say that I have rode on Maglev train, novelty factor

However, reading posts here looks like most will recommend simply taking a taxi from PVG to my hotel. Will most recommend simply to take a taxi from PVG?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Visiting Shanghai for the first time. Arriving at PVG around 1 p.m., staying at Hilton Shanghai Hongqiao. Just for touristy curiosity reason, thinking of taking Maglev from PVG to Longyang Road, then take taxi to the hotel, I will have a checked luggage. Thinking of this just for curiosity reason and so I can say that I have rode on Maglev train, novelty factor

However, reading posts here looks like most will recommend simply taking a taxi from PVG to my hotel. Will most recommend simply to take a taxi from PVG?
I took a taxi from PVG to that area last month, and the trip was shockingly fast (40 minutes!). A taxi from the Maglev terminus at Longyang road takes longer than 40 minutes; plus, you need to deal with attempted extortion from the taxi drivers there (this issue is often talked about here; if you are smart and aggressive, it honestly isn't an issue at all, but we've seen many reports of visitors being screwed over royally).

The Maglev is definitely worth trying for tourism value alone, but slotting it into your trip back to the airport (perhaps with other activities in Pudong first) is how I would play it.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
I took a taxi from PVG to that area last month, and the trip was shockingly fast (40 minutes!). A taxi from the Maglev terminus at Longyang road takes longer than 40 minutes; plus, you need to deal with attempted extortion from the taxi drivers there (this issue is often talked about here; if you are smart and aggressive, it honestly isn't an issue at all, but we've seen many reports of visitors being screwed over royally).

The Maglev is definitely worth trying for tourism value alone, but slotting it into your trip back to the airport (perhaps with other activities in Pudong first) is how I would play it.
Thanks, after reading what has been posted here I think I will simply take a taxi from PVG to my hotel. Reason for entertained Maglev for when I arrived at PVG is that my departing flight from Shanghai is out of SHA (Hongquiao), not PVG. When arriving at Shanghai will be only time I will be at PVG. By any case I will take a taxi from PVG. If I have some time to kill while I am at Shanghai then I may try out Maglev.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:02 am

I will be staying in a hotel just south of People's Square. From what I have researched, taking bus line 5 to East Yan'an Rd would be my best option for public transport. Do you pay for the buses on board or is there a ticketing counter for them? I read some conflicting information about this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:08 am

You pay on board.
The subway is not closer?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by JPDM
You pay on board.
The subway is not closer?
Thanks. It's on Jinling Road so I think that bus line 5 is even better. I was a little weary since I would arrive at PVG around 7 AM and would face a packed metro with luggage, but now I think the bus is my better option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.