Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai ground transportation thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I've had this happen a few times since they re-opened earlier this year. I just let the guy take me to my apartment and then tell him I take this trip twice a month and it's never more than 180 RMB. They always accept my payment offer with a sheepish grin. When I notice the meter running hot mid journey I always figure it's better to get dropped off at home before pointing it out than arguing with the driver somewhere in the middle of Pudong.
Definitely. I text my wife when I see something is off and tell her to wait for me with the compound guards. When we arrive I tell the driver that I've already alerted the police. I've only encountered one driver who hasn't acquiesced to my demands. But this is because I don't offer what's a "fair" fare, I offer zero and tell them to consider themselves lucky I'm not calling the police.. I tell them this is the price to pay for breaking the law. One guy got really pissed. Surprisingly my wife disagrees with my approach and says those guys have to make a living.

For a tourist I'd recommend only taking the light blue or white taxis from the taxi rank at PVG.
This is hard to do. I tell the queue administrator all the time that I don't want the red taxi and they get mad at me and tell me I can't choose. I tell them that 50% of the time I get ripped off by these taxis. They are not moved. I let people go ahead of me in the line until an acceptable taxi comes up, and this works most of the time. Recently I've taken to telling the cab driver my destination, and that it's 50.1km. I then tell them that there are many scammers and that I have to be careful. This signals to them that I'm aware of the scam and for them to use the correct meter setting. I'm sure they have a switch. I find that this method saves me grief. Though I do get some satisfaction from calling out scammers at the end of the trip, I find that it's not worth it for the blood pressure rise it causes me.

(Edited to add: I think the yellow taxis are ok as well)
uanj and tauphi like this.

Last edited by YariGuy; Oct 17, 2023 at 9:21 am
Old Oct 17, 2023, 4:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Definitely. I text my wife when I see something is off and tell her to wait for me with the compound guards. When we arrive I tell the driver that I've already alerted the police. I've only encountered one driver who hasn't acquiesced to my demands. But this is because I don't offer what's a "fair" fare, I offer zero and tell them to consider themselves lucky I'm not calling the police.. I tell them this is the price to pay for breaking the law. One guy got really pissed. Surprisingly my wife disagrees with my approach and says those guys have to make a living.

This is hard to do. I tell the queue administrator all the time that I don't want the red taxi and they get mad at me and tell me I can't choose. I tell them that 50% of the time I get ripped off by these taxis. They are not moved. I let people go ahead of me in the line until an acceptable taxi comes up, and this works most of the time. Recently I've taken to telling the cab driver my destination, and that it's 50.1km. I then tell them that there are many scammers and that I have to be careful. This signals to them that I'm aware of the scam and for them to use the correct meter setting. I'm sure they have a switch. I find that this method saves me grief. Though I do get some satisfaction from calling out scammers at the end of the trip, I find that it's not worth it for the blood pressure rise it causes me.

The presence of the compound guards (or hotel doormen) is almost an absolute truth. What's more, those guys obviously care more about us than the taxi driver, and the police would also side with us in the extremely unlikely event they are called upon.

I want to reiterate that taxi fares are regulated pretty much everywhere in China, and PVG to Shanghai City should not cost more than 200 (based on 2023 rates), unless you detour (on purpose) via somewhere like Songjiang.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Believe it or not, I haven't taken a taxi anywhere in China since 2009. I'm a transit guy and I just hate dealing with the scammers.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 7:46 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by moondog
The subway stations at both PVG and SHA are incredibly conveniently located (SHA-T1 excepted a little bit), and trains run every 2-3 minutes (i.e. much less wait time than the taxi queues). Furthermore, the maximum price you will pay is Y8 pp to reach any station within the 800 km system.

But, I want to highlight two points about the subway drill:
1. Some of the transfers entail 1000 meter walks
2. After you reach the station closest to your destination, you might want a taxi to go the last mile, and getting one might not be easy
-while the cars certainly exist, actually linking up with your car requires figuring out a good pick-up location

The other option is a taxi directly from the airport to your destination. Anyone who is concerned about point 2 (last mile) should avail of this because, while you will need to wait in the queue, your are pretty much guarantied a nonstop journey to your hotel's front door, and the price will be no more than 200 from PVG or 80 from SHA.

By the time you are ready to leave town, you might have figured out that People's Square, Exit 20 is a short walk away, that is doable even with heavy luggage.
My two cents: taking the metro from PVG is easy and you are likely to get a seat. SHA is a different beast, it is a massive high speed rail station and major domestic airport for China. The numbers of people going through this travel hub can be beyond belief. Depending on the time of day the metro can be crowded to the point of being uncomfortable and taking the train from T1 is even worse. If you happen on a day when there is major trade show at NECC it will be a nightmare. If you have I would consider a taxi, it is also far closer to the city than PVG.

I have too many bad memories of being physically pushed and squeezed taking the metro from SHA.....

Originally Posted by YariGuy

Well I've learned today why sometimes my fare from PVG was 180 and sometimes 215!
moondog and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
Well I've learned today why sometimes my fare from PVG was 180 and sometimes 215!
Do note that the taxi fare rises by 30% after 11pm in Shanghai, so it's not always a scammer. But yeah I've encountered a scammer at PVG and simply pointed it out to him after he arrived at my compound, and he happily accepted my offer of a normal trip fare - 10Y.
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 4:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by tauphi
Do note that the taxi fare rises by 30% after 11pm in Shanghai, so it's not always a scammer. But yeah I've encountered a scammer at PVG and simply pointed it out to him after he arrived at my compound, and he happily accepted my offer of a normal trip fare - 10Y.

Many years ago, I got the RMB100 bill-switcheroo-to-a-fake one at a time when all taxis had removed their badges/ID from their cars during a big trade-show.
Shanghai, of course.
Never got cheated in Beijing.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by narvik
Many years ago, I got the RMB100 bill-switcheroo-to-a-fake one at a time when all taxis had removed their badges/ID from their cars during a big trade-show.
Shanghai, of course.
I remember those stories too, as well as the general disdain for the Longyang Rd taxi queue, but I wonder if they still hold true during today's age of greatly increased transparency.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by narvik
Shanghai, of course.
Originally Posted by moondog
I remember those stories too, as well as the general disdain for the Longyang Rd taxi queue, but I wonder if they still hold true during today's age of greatly increased transparency.
I was also a victim as well. I got a fake 50 RMB bill around 2008/2009. I still have it to this day.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 9:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by tauphi
Yep, I've been charged 300+RMB to get to my parents' place from PVG when arriving at midnight or 1am, and thought I might have been scammed until I did it again with Didi and it cost only 15RMB less. I don't do this often, though, they live somewhere that's a 2 RMB bus ride from SHA T1 so I strongly prefer arriving at SHA when practical.
lsquare likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 1:19 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
With Didi, if you can get a few good coupons, the fare can be a lot lower. Didi is also usually not the cheapest ridehailing app...
Old Oct 24, 2023, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal
With Didi, if you can get a few good coupons, the fare can be a lot lower. Didi is also usually not the cheapest ridehailing app...
My recent experiences with Didi coupons is that the widely available ones (i.e. not on Thursday afternoons when they crank out their best coupons) require a detailed review of the terms and conditions.

By way of example, about 30% of my current batch applies to shared rides only...good value if you're traveling solo and your destination is 5 minutes away, but not such a hot deal if you need to walk 1000 meters to the pick-up point and/or are third in line for drop-off.

Example 2: 25% off Luxe still costs much more than the normal Select rates.

While I understand that Didi charges more than some other ride apps, I don't mind the 20% premium because I know they will actually get me a car, and we're only talking about an extra Y5 in most cases.

As I've mentioned up-thread, when coming FROM an airport, normal taxis are often the best course of action. Sure, you'll need to wait an extra 15 minutes, but you won't have to spot your driver among a sea of 1000 cars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.