Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Old May 24, 2024, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency_
I had an option for an intl to intl PVG connection ... of 1 hour 35 minutes. On the advice of this thread, I 86'd it, opting instead for a PVG-area hotel tonight.

I wonder if there's any nighttime street stall action in this part of town (e.g. the residential areas directly near CGO and PEK have plenty of food).

​​​
I'm responding in this thread instead of the slightly more on point Shanghai Airport Hotel

...because I figured this thread has more staying power...though it's a close call.

Having gotten that preamble out of the way, I ended up booking a room at the Ramada tonight for the first time because I flew into PVG, was thinking about leaving on another international flight tomorrow, but I didn't want to stay in the Dazhong (I also haven't actually stayed there myself, so perhaps my bias against it isn't fully justified).

On the one hand, I'm certainly not wowed by the Ramada. On the other hand, it definitely lives up to the "peaceful neighborhood" billing that several others have afforded it.

The location is astonishingly bad wrt subway access (i.e. no stations on within ~9 km).

There is a mid-sized Lianhua across the street from the hotel.

For 外卖, you're looking at McDs, KFC, Dominos, some random Chinese restaurants, and most of the usual suspect chained convenience stores.

I happened to luck out on the airport shuttle front because I called just prior to booking the room, and one of the scheduled runs was minutes away. Otherwise, it is loosely scheduled service, and they want you to arrange it at least 2 hours in advance.

I guess my ultimate conclusion (at this point in time) is that while I'm unable to offer a glowing endorsement, I'm hard pressed to think of any specific examples of properties that better suit the layover mission, for those that hope to escape the airport environment.
Old May 26, 2024, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
I passed by PVG last Thursday, where I was finally able to do an in-depth look of S1 as it currently looks like today. As it is currently close to 2:00 am where I am as I write this, allow me to share some notes first:
  • Remember my guide to restaurants? Nearly all the restaurants I covered are now closed, likely victims of the pandemic. The only restaurants still open in the international section are Starbucks (two branches), Hope Kaweh (two branches; the one upstairs took over the space left by Papa John's), Mr. Choi and Sukiya, which finally opened as it was closed pre-COVID. Burger King, De Xing Guan, Sunya and Shuo Yi Wan/Hongye still have intact storefronts so they may reopen, but who knows when. There are, however, more open restaurants in the domestic section from what I can see.
  • There is a corridor at the departures level connecting S1 and S2, but it looks like only airport staff can cross the corridor. Has anyone tried?
narvik likes this.
Old May 27, 2024, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by Akiestar
Burger King, De Xing Guan, Sunya and Shuo Yi Wan/Hongye still have intact storefronts so they may reopen, but who knows when.
Store openings and closings are 'special' in China as a general rule, with or without Covid.
Covid did have a huge impact of course, and my guess is, a good portion of now-closed stores/restaurants will indeed open again once traveler numbers increase.
PKX airport was opened just a few months before Covid hit, so a lot never even opened and are still boarded up.

But store closings/openings are always a thing in China.
At PEK's T3 I recall a Burger King tucked away in-between the parking garage floors...now closed (not surprising).
The Dio Coffee closed and re-opened as Costa (is it Costa?)

Holiland near where I used to live had a terrible internal layout, and they used to close every few months (it seemed) for a complete re-model only to re-open looking exactly the same.

Within 18 months, a duck restaurant opened in the little mall next to my apartment, only to close and re-open as a noodle restaurant. Last time I saw that closed down now too, and it's a hair salon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.