Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2023, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Quelifornia
Yes I think the veterans keep getting hung up on the "do you need a visa for a twov" when us newbies ask the question. We're not specifically asking "Do I need a visa or can I transit without visa" ... what we're asking is do I need to go through ANY sort of process or can I just walk to the next gate without dealing with any diplomatic issues ... ie: when I have to transfer at ICN on two separate tickets, I don't need to deal with any of the diplomatic process, they have directionals for those transiting where I can simply just walk to my next gate.
T2 to T1 connections and vv almost certainly entail entering and exiting the country. Intra-T1 or T2 transits might not.
Old Oct 25, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Quelifornia
what we're asking is do I need to go through ANY sort of process or can I just walk to the next gate without dealing with any diplomatic issues ... ie: when I have to transfer at ICN on two separate tickets, I don't need to deal with any of the diplomatic process, they have directionals for those transiting where I can simply just walk to my next gate.
Unfortunately, part of the problem with answering this question is that the answer heavily depends on the airlines involved, and there's different kinds of transit. Even the example you cite of ICN isn't immune to this, depending on the airline (for example, Peach doesn't support online check-in for international flights so if you're self-connecting to their ICN-KIX/HND/CTS flights then you'll have to enter the country and go up to their check-in desk to get your boarding pass).
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:50 pm

I landed into PVG on the 20th Oct and the 4th Nov, and both experiences were very different. So here are my experiences.

Virgin would not interline with EVA, so I knew I would need to collect bags. I landed around 9am.
The China Health Declaration form was in operation, and a lot of people were trying to do it on arrival. I was selected for a secondary Swab at random.

The Transit Visa process was a pain, only one agent working. No real idea what needed to be done, queued for a while and then learned I needed to fill out a form. So had to grab one and get back into the queue. There were around 8 people in front of me, and each person was taking 10 mins to process. Onward flight details were being checked. And a second agent was putting the stickers in the passports.
It took around an hour and 20 mins to get through. Then I was able to collect my bag and then head to EVA. It was completely the right choice for me to have a connection that was 4+ hours from landing, as anyone with 2 hours was queue jumping and then had to grab bags and re-check.

The return experience was completely different. Singapore Airlines do have an interline agreement with Virgin Atlantic, but were not able to do it for an un-specified reason. Maybe because VS now operate from T1, or maybe China requires everyone to collect their bags at their first entry to the country as the US require.

The China Heath declaration had been removed and the immigration hall was empty, as I landed at 6:30am the Transit agent was fast and efficient, and there were 2 on duty. I was first in line and it was done in 3 to 4 minutes.

Appreciate the guidance here, and hope this updated experience I posted helps a fellow traveller.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by ukcobra
Virgin would not interline with EVA, so I knew I would need to collect bags. I landed around 9am.
The China Health Declaration form was in operation, and a lot of people were trying to do it on arrival. I was selected for a secondary Swab at random.
Hello, sorry in advance if I'm doing something wrong as it is my first time using this platform. But wanted to clarify if the swab you were selected for was a covid test? If so was it a PCR or a rapid test? Because I'd imagine a PCR would take more time and I'm concerned over my transit time. Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 12, 2023, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by hello182
Hello, sorry in advance if I'm doing something wrong as it is my first time using this platform. But wanted to clarify if the swab you were selected for was a covid test? If so was it a PCR or a rapid test? Because I'd imagine a PCR would take more time and I'm concerned over my transit time. Thanks in advance!
They aren't doing swabs anymore.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by moondog
They aren't doing swabs anymore.
I was swabbed on the 20th Oct, and when I went trhough on the 5th Nov, they had closed it all down. Probably in line with the removal of the need to do the health declaration.
Old Nov 13, 2023, 1:00 am

Duplicate post, sorry.

Last edited by ukcobra; Nov 13, 2023 at 1:01 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Nov 13, 2023, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by hello182
The random swabs are PCR tests but they don't make you wait for the result since it's just a data survey.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:45 am

Correct, it was a short queue, random selection, quick swab and on my way.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 2:02 pm

Transiting at PVG T1 - is it possible to do this without going through borders if I only have hand luggage?

I'm flying into PVG on VS and leaving same day via China Eastern to HKG (both are T1).

Thanks!

Last edited by kontrakobra; Nov 16, 2023 at 2:08 pm
Old Nov 16, 2023, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by kontrakobra
Transiting at PVG T1 - is it possible to do this without going through borders if I only have hand luggage?

I'm flying into PVG on VS and leaving same day via China Eastern to HKG (both are T1).

Thanks!
VS just moved to T1 about a month ago, and nobody has posted any data points since, apart from an SQ--->VS case, which now requires complete immigration, of course.

Long-term, I'm guessing VS-->MU and vv will be possible airside, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it isn't yet.
kontrakobra likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
VS just moved to T1 about a month ago, and nobody has posted any data points since, apart from an SQ--->VS case, which now requires complete immigration, of course.

Long-term, I'm guessing VS-->MU and vv will be possible airside, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it isn't yet.
But in OP's case, I'd not worry. They'll either let him/her transfer airside (with potentially the transfer counter producing him his MU BP) or they'll grant him a day-TWOV-entry, to use the regular checkin facilities of MU.
kontrakobra likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2023, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
But in OP's case, I'd not worry. They'll either let him/her transfer airside (with potentially the transfer counter producing him his MU BP) or they'll grant him a day-TWOV-entry, to use the regular checkin facilities of MU.
I wouldn't worry either because out and back in isn't a big deal. My post was a long-winded way of saying that "I don't know if that particular transit is possible without entering the country".
YuropFlyer and kontrakobra like this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:00 am

When I arrived in Oct on VS (T2) and exited the same day from T2, there was no option I saw to remain airside. When I returned to T2 in Nov, the T2 Transfer desks were not even staffed. While this is not a T1 example, I would plan for an entry to the country. The TWOV process was simple and should be easy to facilitate with the ongoing flight documentation.
kontrakobra likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ukcobra
When I arrived in Oct on VS (T2) and exited the same day from T2, there was no option I saw to remain airside. When I returned to T2 in Nov, the T2 Transfer desks were not even staffed. While this is not a T1 example, I would plan for an entry to the country. The TWOV process was simple and should be easy to facilitate with the ongoing flight documentation.
A CRITICAL difference between T2 and T1 is that China Eastern actually runs T1 like a hub, so efficiently getting passengers from one flight to the next is a top priority (maybe a little less so now than pre-covid because demand for point to point, where they make much more money, has been quite strong).

By contrast, T2 doesn't have any players with similar glue (or incentive) to hold things together.
kontrakobra likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.