Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page >

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Connecting / airport transit inside PVG Shanghai Pudong [Merged PVG connection thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, SkyPass
Hi all!

Will be flying in J on MU from SIN <-> HRB via PVG next week and have some quick questions.

Outbound SIN->PVG->HRB
I'm supposing I have to clear immigration at PVG but not required to pickup my bags? (can anyone confirm this?)

Return will be HRB->YKH->PVG->SIN
HRB->YKH->PVG has a 45min stop in YKH with same flight number continuing on to PVG, do we remain onboard for additional boarding or does everyone have to deplane and clear security and re-board?
And also assuming I clear immigration at PVG without having to pickup my bags again?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:27 am

PVG question maybe someone familiar with the airport can offer up a decent suggestion.

My family is flying AC to PVG arriving around 430p and then we will take Air Asia onto KUL departing at around 130a. Sadly with no interline agreement we will have to claim bags, kill time, and recheck our bags at 1030p earliest (3 hours before the Air Asia flight).

Any suggestions on what to do during the time prior to checkin? Is it worth taking our bags to luggage hold just to ride on the Maglev? This is happening during the winter time but we will not be traveling with any winter coats so we don't want to be outdoors at any point. Any place in the airport landside that's good to hang out with little kids for uhh potentially 5-6 hours Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seanysp
Hi all!

Will be flying in J on MU from SIN <-> HRB via PVG next week and have some quick questions.

Outbound SIN->PVG->HRB
I'm supposing I have to clear immigration at PVG but not required to pickup my bags? (can anyone confirm this?)

Return will be HRB->YKH->PVG->SIN
HRB->YKH->PVG has a 45min stop in YKH with same flight number continuing on to PVG, do we remain onboard for additional boarding or does everyone have to deplane and clear security and re-board?
And also assuming I clear immigration at PVG without having to pickup my bags again?

Thanks in advance!
You should ask a moderator to merge the thread you started with this one instead of asking the same question here.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
PVG question maybe someone familiar with the airport can offer up a decent suggestion.

My family is flying AC to PVG arriving around 430p and then we will take Air Asia onto KUL departing at around 130a. Sadly with no interline agreement we will have to claim bags, kill time, and recheck our bags at 1030p earliest (3 hours before the Air Asia flight).

Any suggestions on what to do during the time prior to checkin? Is it worth taking our bags to luggage hold just to ride on the Maglev? This is happening during the winter time but we will not be traveling with any winter coats so we don't want to be outdoors at any point. Any place in the airport landside that's good to hang out with little kids for uhh potentially 5-6 hours Thanks!
Disney (not so far from PVG) might be an option, but I don't like the combination of winter and evening. While Shanghai winters aren't especially cold temperature wise, they are still not well suited for outdoor activities. If you fancy escaping the airport, I suppose riding the Maglev for the hell of it isn't the worst idea in the world (in fact, many FTers have done this). Just bear in mind that there isn't much to see/do/eat near the Longyang Road terminus.

Since you mention "little kids", I'm thinking that grabbing a room at one of the hotels in between the terminals is probably the path of least resistance. This will give you a place to chill that's (a little) nicer than an airline lounge, and there are some food options (think KFC, BK, Kungfu, and similar) in the same building.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 9:46 pm

Would it be crazy to leave our bags unclaimed while we hang out in an airport lounge on the airside? And just go claim our bags a bit later when there's less time to kill before rechecking them? How safe/secure is this concept in Shanghai?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Would it be crazy to leave our bags unclaimed while we hang out in an airport lounge on the airside? And just go claim our bags a bit later when there's less time to kill before rechecking them? How safe/secure is this concept in Shanghai?
Arrivals and departures are segregated at most international airports in Asia, including pvg. Once you pass through to departures there is no way to go back in the absence of an emergency or cancellation. Even if your plan was possible, I would still advise against it though.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
Have an already booked flight from NRT to LGW via PVG with Air China this Spring. (Havent quite got my head around the idea of CA at PVG)
Will be travelling with my husband and daughter, but also with a friend and her daughter.
Were due to arrive at 10pm and scheduled to leave at 1:50am.
This should just be a straight int to int transfer at Terminal 2, is that right?
Apparently it will not be a straight int to int transfer.

From the Other Asian, etc. Airlines Forum:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31919363-post10.html
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:09 pm

Programs: United 1K; Hilton HHonors Gold; Marriott Platinum
Data point for transfer from UA to OZ @ PVG:

My travel plan changed from staying a few days in China to directly flying to ICN. The cheapest option was to tag an OZ PVG-ICN flight onto the existing UA flight EWR-PVG, likely without protection for delays though I never found this out.

1) Arrival at PVG - 14:05 (2:20hr planned connection onto OZ flight leaving at 16:25)
2) TWOV sticker on passport - 14:15. Thanks to this community I knew where to go; a group of 7 people got sent to the only available 24/144hr transfer line, likely coming from the regular visa lane.
3) Luggage on carousel - 14:40. Priority tag made no difference.
4) Customs - 14:47.
5) Check in at OZ counter - 14:55 (Far walk to B desks)
6) Visa and security done - 15:15
7) Walk to gate - 15:22 (meaning 1:17hr gate-to-gate transfer time)
8) OZ flight Boarding start - 15:55

Overall not a bad transfer, but I will try to avoid PVG transfers in the future as it has a few non-value added steps vs transfer in NRT.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:06 am

I have a couple of questions if I may:
I have a flight from JFK to PVG at 1:45 to 4:40 AM (which makes up for a 3 hr and 20 min layover) with China Eastern
and then I will be heading from PVG to NRT from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Is there anything I can do to make sure that it is a smooth layover?

From the things I'm reading I'm concerned if my return may be doable as it is from KIX to PVG for a 1 hr and 40 min layover before heading back to JFK.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Shu Wing Leung
I have a couple of questions if I may:
I have a flight from JFK to PVG at 1:45 to 4:40 AM (which makes up for a 3 hr and 20 min layover) with China Eastern
and then I will be heading from PVG to NRT from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM

Is there anything I can do to make sure that it is a smooth layover?

From the things I'm reading I'm concerned if my return may be doable as it is from KIX to PVG for a 1 hr and 40 min layover before heading back to JFK.
Both of those layovers are fine, assuming MU to MU, and that MU keeps the flights (they are less likely to cancel than foreign airlines, but do have limits). There isn't much to do at PVG between 5a and 8a.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a note to anyone (ridiculously IMHO) contemplating transfers through PVG now. Im hearing many reliable reports of being held on board the arriving flight for anywhere from one to seven hours after landing so they can do checks on passengers depending on where passengers on the plane have traveled in the last 14 days. I was held for 2+ hours last week coming from BKK whilst they took off everybody who had been to Italy, Iran, Korea and Japan separately. Even a 5 or 6 hour connection isnt secure.

It also seems most anyplace youd be connecting to will put you in 14 day quarantine now just for touching Chinese soil, although there are a few exceptions.
LapLap likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Just a note to anyone (ridiculously IMHO) contemplating transfers through PVG now. Im hearing many reliable reports of being held on board the arriving flight for anywhere from one to seven hours after landing so they can do checks on passengers depending on where passengers on the plane have traveled in the last 14 days. I was held for 2+ hours last week coming from BKK whilst they took off everybody who had been to Italy, Iran, Korea and Japan separately. Even a 5 or 6 hour connection isnt secure.

It also seems most anyplace youd be connecting to will put you in 14 day quarantine now just for touching Chinese soil, although there are a few exceptions.
What about Canada? The situation in the Mainland seems to be improving. I don't expect anymore negative news as the weather continues to get warm. I was thinking of potentially going to the Mainland via Canada in late spring.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
What about Canada? The situation in the Mainland seems to be improving. I don't expect anymore negative news as the weather continues to get warm. I was thinking of potentially going to the Mainland via Canada in late spring.
Cant comment on late spring because that is so far away when the situation changes on a daily basis. Just today Shanghai added 4 countries to the list of places where if you recently visited youd need to undergo mandatory 14 day quarantine. The USA, France, Germany and Spain were added to the previous list of Italy, Korea, Japan and Iran effective immediately.

You seem to have an incredible desire to travel to China in the near future for some reason. I cant understand why. Surely you can wait for this crisis period to wane. China isnt going anywhere!
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:37 am

You seem to have an incredible desire to travel to China in the near future for some reason. I cant understand why. Surely you can wait for this crisis period to wane. China isnt going anywhere!
There are plenty reasons of why someone would like to visit China.

One of them, for me, would be they know how to tackle such a virus outbreak actively. Same would apply to South Korea or Singapore. While in the West, it seems all like either panic or head into the sand.. which neither are working strategies..

I won't visit China soon because of the 14-day quarantine rule, but considering the situation might soon get out of control completely in Italy-style in most countries, China looks much safer indeed.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Cant comment on late spring because that is so far away when the situation changes on a daily basis. Just today Shanghai added 4 countries to the list of places where if you recently visited youd need to undergo mandatory 14 day quarantine. The USA, France, Germany and Spain were added to the previous list of Italy, Korea, Japan and Iran effective immediately.

I'm just asking so why are you getting so fired up about it? Plenty of people have a need to go to China. I understand the issue. I understand what you're saying. However, I want to ask every so often because we have lots of people here that are more aware of the situation than I am. I appreciate your help.
YuropFlyer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.