Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Lol well if you really want to know I did correct them. Now do they listen to me? Some do, some don't. And in the worse instances I have reported it to management. But as far as rudeness, I have stopped it before, and I have corrected TSOs when they apply SOP incorrectly.

I can only suggest to people that when they have a bad experience write a comment card. At SAT ALL of them are post in the operations center for everyone to read. They are read by at least the AFSD. Be sure to get the full name of the TSO. I know many of you might not think it will make a difference, but it actually does. If. Particular employee gets enough of them.
You seem to have missed the hundreds of threads where people report being unable to obtain the name of TSA employees. Everything from outright refusal to give name, name tags obscured and other ploys to prevent a name from being obtained.

As far as bad actors go, if management is not made aware of these situations then no corrective action can be brought to bare. Unless a report of some type is filed then no record of offense will exist.

This area of concern is one of the publics biggest complaints with TSA, little accountability of its employees and ineffective ways for the public to get concerns heard and acted on.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You seem to have missed the hundreds of threads where people report being unable to obtain the name of TSA employees. Everything from outright refusal to give name, name tags obscured and other ploys to prevent a name from being obtained.

This area of concern is one of the publics biggest complaints with TSA, little accountability of its employees and ineffective ways for the public to get concerns heard and acted on.
Wasn't there a thread several months ago where some had suggestions based on their travels, obtaining the names from reluctant smurfs?

IIRC, our very own MKEBound had a couple of good suggestions, I just have not looked for the thread yet.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by RoadVeteran
WRONG,

For a college educated individual you need to go back and read my post again, WHO'S post was it I was responding to?, it was not yours, so in a response to Coachrowsey, how is it I am putting words in your mouth?
Yes you were not responding to me, but you were talking about my original statement as part of what I said was quoted. Somehow, from what he quoted from me you implied that my statement - even though your comment was not directed at me - confirmed the TSA "motto" of guilt, even though I never said that, and actually said in an eariler post TSA should trust people. I have no problem with others talking about what I say, heck you can even twist my words if you like. But if I see that others have twisted my words, I will say so.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:29 am

Yes you were not responding to me, but you were talking about my original statement as part of what I said was quoted. Somehow, from what he quoted from me you implied that my statement - even though your comment was not directed at me - confirmed the TSA "motto" of guilt, even though I never said that, and actually said in an eariler post TSA should trust people. I have no problem with others talking about what I say, heck you can even twist my words if you like. But if I see that others have twisted my words, I will say so.
Well, if thats what you and your "college education" want to believe, then go right ahead .

Your post never entered into my thoughts when I was responding to coachrowsey, I was merely stating my PERSONAL opinion of TSA in that specific regard.

And just to state it again, to clear up any misunderstanding, it is my personal opinion that your employers attitude towards the public is one of guilty even when proven innocent, and I have stated that opinion a long time before you ever registered and started posting on this forum. So please do not imply, insinuate or state that I have "twisted" your words or "put words in your mouth" when I have done no such thing.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

As far as bad actors go, if management is not made aware of these situations then no corrective action can be brought to bare. Unless a report of some type is filed then no record of offense will exist.

I have said before I can only comment on the airports in which I work. I personally haven't seen that, but here we are required to wear out ID on out upper body clearly displayed.

If you have a problem getting a name I have one idea, it might work, if you have time. Exit the checkpoint, call the local coordination center. All airport websites have a phone number for the local TSA. Ask to speak to someone in management. Of course, you have to have time and Internet access if you plan to use your phone to the number.

Another idea is after finished find a police office, ask for them to help you get the names. Even though many TSOs do not under stand laws, many police officers will and, personally, I think they will help you, or at least it might escalate to the point where management is involved.

Right now that is the best I can give for you, but if I come up with something later, I'll let you know.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:42 am

Well, if thats what you and your "college education" want to believe, then go right ahead .

Your post never entered into my thoughts when I was responding to coachrowsey, I was merely stating my PERSONAL opinion of TSA in that specific regard.

And just to state it again, to clear up any misunderstanding, it is my personal opinion that your employers attitude towards the public is one of guilty even when proven innocent, and I have stated that opinion a long time before you ever registered and started posting on this forum. So please do not imply, insinuate or state that I have "twisted" your words or "put words in your mouth" when I have done no such thing.
If what I post never entered your though then why was what you quote from coachrowsey what he directly quoted from me? If what I had written was not in his quote I wouldn't have said anything or thoght you were talking about what I said. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have said before I can only comment on the airports in which I work. I personally haven't seen that, but here we are required to wear out ID on out upper body clearly displayed.

If you have a problem getting a name I have one idea, it might work, if you have time. Exit the checkpoint, call the local coordination center. All airport websites have a phone number for the local TSA. Ask to speak to someone in management. Of course, you have to have time and Internet access if you plan to use your phone to the number.

Another idea is after finished find a police office, ask for them to help you get the names. Even though many TSOs do not under stand laws, many police officers will and, personally, I think they will help you, or at least it might escalate to the point where management is involved.

Right now that is the best I can give for you, but if I come up with something later, I'll let you know.
I think we all know how to force an issue, readers of this blog more so than other groups making up the flying world.

The real question is why is this even an issue with a supposedly professional force?

TSA HQ says one thing but what happens in the field is entirely different.

Reading the archives of this blog will demonstrate that very well.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:12 am

If what I post never entered your though then why was what you quote from coachrowsey what he directly quoted from me? If what I had written was not in his quote I wouldn't have said anything or thoght you were talking about what I said. Sorry about the misunderstanding.
SIGH, I give up
Old Oct 16, 2009, 6:37 am

Programs: too many of the few that are left
Wasn't there a thread several months ago where some had suggestions based on their travels, obtaining the names from reluctant smurfs?

IIRC, our very own MKEBound had a couple of good suggestions, I just have not looked for the thread yet.
See also post #5 from FliesWay2Much on this thread. :-::-::-:
Old Oct 16, 2009, 11:42 pm

I have another idea. If you are a frequent flyer through a particular airport, you should get to know who the good TSOs are and who the bad ones are. Ask a good one to identify the bad one. It's no guarantee but I've seen it done by a pax with success.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by QUERY
I have another idea. If you are a frequent flyer through a particular airport, you should get to know who the good TSOs are and who the bad ones are. Ask a good one to identify the bad one. It's no guarantee but I've seen it done by a pax with success.
I too have identified TSOs passengers should avoid; but I really do have to say that most at SAT are "good" TSO's. This can work. Or get to know some by name, as this happens too. I know of a few passengers by name, and they know the names of some of the TSO. Should it have to be this way, I do not know. But it can only help.
Old Oct 17, 2009, 5:50 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I too have identified TSOs passengers should avoid; but I really do have to say that most at SAT are "good" TSO's. This can work. Or get to know some by name, as this happens too. I know of a few passengers by name, and they know the names of some of the TSO. Should it have to be this way, I do not know. But it can only help.
But I bet they still get the same treatment, guilty untill proved otherwise
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
But I bet they still get the same treatment, guilty untill proved otherwise
Lol if you think so...

But no, just like any other place when you are known you are generally treated better. Is this fair or right? Nah, we both know it's not. But we both also know it's the world we live in. However, as to treating people "guilty" by TSA, that's just an opinion, and it happens to be one I do not share with you. Which is actually ok, we are allowed to disagree.

But nice to know you still have your positive attitude!!!!
Old Oct 17, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS

But nice to know you still have your positive attitude!!!!

Always
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:41 am

arrrrghhhhhh:

1100a - 1214p
GSO - DCA US 3898

Gate 42 GSO.

One TSA - gloves ready but no search portable table like I've seen at other airports when they are getting ready to search carryon bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.