Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
How about cleaning and disinfecting the bins and surfaces passengers touch at the checkpoint. It is flu season and Obama has declared an H1N1 emergency.

Keeping the checkpoint sanitary - especially bins and other commonly touched surfaces around the x-ray machine / WTMD - would actually contribute to the safety and well-being of travelers, flight crews, as well as other smurfs working the checkpoint. @:-)
How about just doing your job and opening the checkpoints that you closed because you sent your screeners out to the gates looking for two-fisted-bacon-stretchers.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler
How about cleaning and disinfecting the bins and surfaces passengers touch at the checkpoint. It is flu season and Obama has declared an H1N1 emergency.

Keeping the checkpoint sanitary - especially bins and other commonly touched surfaces around the x-ray machine / WTMD - would actually contribute to the safety and well-being of travelers, flight crews, as well as other smurfs working the checkpoint. @:-)
Some of the smurfs I've see could use cleaning up.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:32 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Air Koryo
I have yet to be smurfed at the gate, but I commend each of you who have been and not blown your top at these useless harrassments.

TSA, since you will never fire your surplus workforce, please assign the excess smurfs to tasks less violating and more useful than gate molestations. I have seen smurfs Windexing the xray machinery, tending to pretty 9/11 commemorative poster collages, dancing, and slumped back in wheelchairs. Any of these is preferable to the awful busywork they are engaged in now.
or as i posted elsewhere, put them back at the checkpoints where they belong to keep the lines moving!

it's not rocket science to run an assembly line (which is exactly what a security checkpoint is) and the worst thing that can happen to an assembly line is that it slows down and/or stops working. get 'em in, do the job and get 'em out-it's that simple (wash, rinse and repeat)
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by T-the-B
I fly on Southwest a fair amount and anyone who does that understands the first in / first pick seating. How will a gate screening work on a WN flight? Will they hold up the whole boarding process? Is the passenger just screwed? Will they let the passenger go aboard and claim his seat prior to the screening?

I haven't had to confront gate screening on a WN flight yet but I think it would get ugly pretty fast.

Does anyone have an actual experience to share?
I don't fly on WN much but I've seen it done at PDX... basically just like every other airline... just if they pull someone out of line, they still continue with the boarding so the person that got pull out of line is out of luck.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would seem to me that when government Fraud, Waste and Abuse is looked at that TSA would be dead bull center using abusive methods like this.

The chance of finding anything using a gate check is so remote that it's laughable.

How stupid can TSA leadership get?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 10:32 pm

Programs: CO/DL
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
It would seem to me that when government Fraud, Waste and Abuse is looked at that TSA would be dead bull center using abusive methods like this.

The chance of finding anything using a gate check is so remote that it's laughable.

I really had hope that a new President and administration, even with all the other problems facing the country right now would clean out TSA from top to bottom or at least call TSA on the carpet and tell them to stop being the pus filled pimple on the butt cheeks of transportation they currently are, but whatever hope I had for this happening is gone.

TSA continues on with its useless, window dressing, hassle filled rules and procedures and I would be willing to wager that more is yet to come.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:01 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You'd need to invent a whole new metric of "Stupid" to be able to measure it. It seriously outstrips every other case of stupid I've ever come across.
Oh, and 7, 21 and 30.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:24 pm

The TSA leadership can get precisely as stupid as this: As long as people are stupid enough to keep showing up for them to to screw over, they will continue to do so.

Just keep lining up, and they will keep obliging you.

Not I, dear reader.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 2:40 pm
Used to be Sydneysider

Programs: AS MVP/Gold (and 75K aspirant)
Saturday, October 31 at LAX T3: harassment of VX travelers to IAD and SFO (and I'm sure others).
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:20 am

LAX - CLT 5 - 6 BDO's. Didn't see them pull anyone but I boarded #20 and there were many pax's behind me so.......
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by dpdp1
LAX - CLT 5 - 6 BDO's. Didn't see them pull anyone but I boarded #20 and there were many pax's behind me so.......
How do you know they were BDOs?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by dpdp1
It's just "busy work" as I've said before a waste of our (taxpayer) money TSA is so far over staffed.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:38 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
It blows my mind that they are so overstaffed to just sit around and stare at pax, as well as harass them at the gates -- all the while long lines form at checkpoints with closed lanes.

TSA folks - wonder why we despise your agency?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
It blows my mind that they are so overstaffed to just sit around and stare at pax, as well as harass them at the gates -- all the while long lines form at checkpoints with closed lanes.

TSA folks - wonder why we despise your agency?
They're not overstaffed, they have just misdeployed the staff. Even if folks at airports like IAD believe they're understaffed.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
They're not overstaffed, they have just intentionally misdeployed the staff. Even if folks at airports like IAD believe they're understaffed.
There, fixed that for ya.

Seriously, though, I believe, my opinion/conjecture ONLY, that the DC metro area airports (IAD and DCA) are misdeployed intentionally to make the political arena folks delayed. Those with pockets will complain about the delays and the TSA will then get more funding for personnel...

BWI is misdeployed intentionally for the same reasons, in addition to being the regional test site for new TSA goat ropes from HQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.