Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Nightmare at MHT - a not-so-frequent flyer meets airport security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nightmare at MHT - a not-so-frequent flyer meets airport security

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
I am glad to say that I worry even less about people with fake doctors notes sneaking water and juice on the plane than I do about germs on the floor.
Agreed, but if we assume there's a justification for the liquids ban (I'm certainly not saying there is), then having some sort of testing for liquids that would be allowed on board because of a Dr's note doesn't seem unreasonable.

To give an example in a space that I certainly do find reasonable (metal detectors, as I think it's worthwhile keeping firearms off planes), we certainly should, and do, allow people with pacemakers to not go through the WTMD, since there's an important medical reason not to. We do, however, subject them to a patdown, otherwise someone could just say "pacemaker" and carry on anything they could conceal under their clothes.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Agreed, but if we assume there's a justification for the liquids ban (I'm certainly not saying there is), then having some sort of testing for liquids that would be allowed on board because of a Dr's note doesn't seem unreasonable.
I didnt say it was unreasonable to look at liquids that were brought on board because of a Dr.s note. Or that they didnt look at them, the OP indicates that they do. So what would the point of a fake note be since they check them anyways. Or for that matter that there was or wasnt a justification of the liquids ban.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by nrr
But the "juice" isn't juice--its explosive stuff...
It's an explosion of flavor
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
Just a hint before your next trip...I've never seen an airport without a water fountain. I carry an empty bottle through security, and fill it up once I am in the secure area. I save money, avoid hassles at security and carry fewer pounds of stuff between my home and the airport.
What?! Fill my bottle from a public water fountain? Someone might have touched their lips to the nozzle or drooled on it! Next you'll be suggesting that I fill my bottle in the restroom sink!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I think that OP was planning this confrontation for weeks in advance:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...489&highlight=
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Reading this entire thread I’ve gone through a full range of emotions.

Starting with shock at the treatment of the OP, followed by being incensed by the reactions & comments made by other posters. But you know, reaching the conclusion of this lengthy thread & taking the OP’s original post (as linked to above) into context, I now feel sympathy for the OP.

She is to my mind a person with many hang ups & I do mean that in the nicest possible way. But as is said upthread, this person must really have a difficult time dealing with & functioning in public situations that we all can take in our stride.

Having read that first, linked to, post it is apparent that from the get go the OP was hugely concerned over her forthcoming trip & in particular the TSA screening process. Unfortunately, through much of her own doing, she experienced exactly what she was afraid of.

We can all debate this until the cows come home, but at the end of the day, a person who feared the worst, got exactly that & had a terrible time as a result.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
No. I've tried hard to muster empathy for the OP, not least because I am prepared to believe almost anything about the TSA, but I just can't.

I do not know which the OP is:

** Genuinely, medically phobic;

** Not phobic, but honestly convinced she ought to be exempt from the rules and conventions that the rest of the traveling public copes with;

** Or a cynic who deliberately provoked havoc as a sort of political exercise.

(I am inclined to believe it's the middle option.) I do know that if the world were wholly composed of people like this, it could not function. We can only take so much neurosis.

Nobody much likes walking shoeless across the airport floor, but it doesn't kill hardly any of us. Wear two pairs of tube socks and pull yourself together. Nobody much likes having to gulp our water down before security, but hardly anybody claims they need multi-liters of liquid -- liquid you can easily buy airside -- for "religious and personal reasons." Pull yourself together.

Imagine you, late for a flight yourself, getting stuck behind this person in the security line and listening to her assertions.

I'd like to admire anyone who tests our Kafkaesque airport security conventions, but in the end I think the OP is really focused on herself, not politics.

If it is physically possible and not harmful to you to abide by the security conventions du jour, but you are determined not to for reasons that have nothing to do with civil disobedience but everything to do with ego and your own sense of exceptionalism, maybe you shouldn't be using public transport at all.

The person I really feel sorry for is the OP's teenager. Imagine growing up around this stuff. I bet the tears weren't all about the missed plane.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA
I'm trying to get my head around how a person who hasn't flown in 10-years has a head of outrage built up around TSA that rivals some of the more vociferous denizens of this forum....
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Gee, I after reading this (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...489&highlight=) I *totally* wouldn't have seen this thread happening.

Off Topic: I am flying out of DFW later this week. I only drink peach juice made in Jewish owned Mexican orchards picked in the offseason by migrant workers from Antartica. If I have a letter from the owner of the gas station by my house, do you think I can carry on a 55 gallon drum of said juice along with my Colt .45 (which I have to clutch whilst drinking the juice for medical reasons)?

Disclaimer: I despise the TSA as much as ole Spiff, but when you go looking for a fight and expect not to win, guess what happens? Methings someone probably wanted a poor me story more than a good flight.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:42 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DillMan
Gee, I after reading this (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...489&highlight=) I *totally* wouldn't have seen this thread happening.

Off Topic: I am flying out of DFW later this week. I only drink peach juice made in Jewish owned Mexican orchards picked in the offseason by migrant workers from Antartica. If I have a letter from the owner of the gas station by my house, do you think I can carry on a 55 gallon drum of said juice along with my Colt .45 (which I have to clutch whilst drinking the juice for medical reasons)?

Disclaimer: I despise the TSA as much as ole Spiff, but when you go looking for a fight and expect not to win, guess what happens? Methings someone probably wanted a poor me story more than a good flight.
I think they (tsa) would let you take 54 gallons max.--but only if the migrant workers came from the north pole--antarctica banned migrant workers a few years ago,
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I'd be prepared to drink all 54 gallons before clearing the checkpoint.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Cool The sequel?

The OP promised a Part II. But she may have left the room (nah). I am particularly interested in what happened on the return. Thank you.

By the way, and this may improve or hurt the chances that I may get my wish, the saying comes to mind: The person who is her own doctor has a fool for a patient (sic). Could the rendition be here because nothing turned out to be actionable, and moreover, to find out if any watcher here might identify something that still might be?

EDIT: And the prequel -- e.g., what happened ten years before? Just to get a sense of the bigger picture...

Last edited by Firewind; Jul 16, 2008 at 10:17 pm
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
Good luck with your future air travels! Please use the "novice" line in the future!

Last edited by correction; Aug 12, 2008 at 11:45 am
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:10 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by correction
New gloves? Wipe down the counter? Are you for real?
I can certainly see how someone that reads this very forum on a daily basis may come up with those ideas.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:24 pm

Programs: Still trying to use my Continental OnePass miles...
This is a joke

Last edited by correction; Aug 12, 2008 at 11:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.