Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2007, 3:40 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by essxjay
Out of curiosity?

Why presume that the OP thinks it's a waste of energy?
I'm not really presuming what the OP thinks. I'm just saying what they are actually doing, wasting energy. Is it really that important? I think the customs agent's question was kind of wrong as well. But the difference with me is I would have just said "I'm coming home for the holidays" and then forgotton about it. Just my opinion.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 5:28 pm

No need to be embarrassed at all. It is easy for us to say in hindsight what we 'should' or 'would' have done but much harder to think straight when someone does something so blatantly wrong and horrible that we never imagined it could happen.

You were wronged plain and simple...it's not playing the victim...it is not being thin skinned or not having a sense of humor...this was pure and simple WRONG and too many people think it's no big deal. This guy has for sure kept this up if he is even still in the system...people do not change...imagine how many other nasty things he has done because he could get away with it. People like him deserve to be hung out to dry.

These kind of people act this way because they CAN. Power corrupts as we know and it seems to corrupt innately stupid and mean people much more than the average joe...logically I guess.

Originally Posted by HRHMom
Well, I am rather embarrassed to admit I stood there with my mouth hanging open, stunned into silence. This was somewhat effective in that after a few moments he moved onto business, looking kind of embarrassed himself.

I have replayed the scene in my mind millions of times, wishing I had had my wits about me more, formulating brilliant retorts and fantasizing suitable punishments, all of which involve some variation of him living out his miserable existence homeless and destitute under a crumbling bridge somewhere in remote China with only the kindness of strangers to keep him fed. I wonder sometimes if he could still be identified and something done. It's not like I hold a grudge, it was only 12 years ago.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 7:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: British Airways Gold (oneWorld Emerald), Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by G702TT
I'm not really presuming what the OP thinks. I'm just saying what they are actually doing, wasting energy. Is it really that important? I think the customs agent's question was kind of wrong as well. But the difference with me is I would have just said "I'm coming home for the holidays" and then forgotton about it. Just my opinion.
If this is your stance towards the government's invasion of civil liberties in the name of security, then you deserve neither liberty nor security. (Paraphrase, I know.)
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JakiChan
That's why you always encrypt your stuff. They can search your laptop but a recent court decision indicates that things are moving to where they can't compel you to produce a password.
I think it's a bit premature to say that "things are moving..." All that has happened so far is that one federal magistrate has ruled this way. This is just one ruling at the lowest level in the judicial system.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by osamede
I am a US citizen living abroad. Came home for xmas recently and the customs guy was grilling me about the "purpose of my visit". I told him I had no "purpose", I was an American coming home for xmas, like everybody else. He insisted, no I must have a "purpose". I told him that regardless of where I was resident, I was a taxpaying (Uncle Sam is quit eager to tax and double-tax citizens abroad, to the point of obsession), passport carrying American and I didnt need a "reason" to re-enter or exist in my own country.

He seem to find this objectionable.

I dont mind them asking me where I have been of if I am carrying anything illegal, but are they constitutionally allowed to demand reasons for wanting to be in your own country, when you are simply exercising your right as a US citizen to do so? Sounds peverse to me.
Sorry to be late to this discussion (and skipping the intervening pages), but I have on more than one occasion (since 9/11/2001) told an immigration inspector, "I am an American citizen returning to my own country. I have no desire to answer any more questions." I said this reasonably politely, and that was the end of questioning. The inspector just stamped my passport and moved on to the next guy in line. No muss, no fuss.

Now, I know as well as anybody that they can detain you for hours and search all of your things, etc., etc., but that's really in nobody's interests. They have better things to do -- and know it. This isn't the TSA, after all!

Bruce
Old Dec 29, 2007, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Goldlust
If this is your stance towards the government's invasion of civil liberties in the name of security, then you deserve neither liberty nor security. (Paraphrase, I know.)
If we're talking about the OP, I don't believe that's an invasion of civil liberties at all, as it's been held in the courts for a long time.

The other incidents weren't invasions of liberties either, just rude and cruel.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Steve M
A $0 value on a Customs declaration is always a no-no....
I travel internationally twenty or more times a year, sometimes for just a couple of days at a time (or even just one day). Most of the time, I declare "--0--" on my customs form. I've never even been asked about it, let alone given a secondary search. Of course, immigration can see your travel history on their screen. They know what's going on.

Bruce
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polonius
Yes, good point - although you are required only to answer the questions on the customs declaration, they can ASK anything they want, and if you CHOOSE to answer, you can be charged be charged with either perjury or lying to an officer in the event you answer untruthfully -- which is, of course, one of the main reasons why your best course of action is to decline to answer anything, but rather to refer the inspector to your signed declaration.
Yes, indeed. For decades, I have followed the practice (and advised my children to do the same) of refusing to answer any question from a law-enforcement officer beyond identifying myself. I'm friendly, saying things like, "I would really love to answer your questions, but I just can't do it without my lawyer present. Sorry." That works. My middle son once foolishly answered questions from a police officer and ended up with a ticket for reckless driving. Live and learn!

Bruce
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Yes, indeed. For decades, I have followed the practice (and advised my children to do the same) of refusing to answer any question from a law-enforcement officer beyond identifying myself. I'm friendly, saying things like, "I would really love to answer your questions, but I just can't do it without my lawyer present. Sorry." That works. My middle son once foolishly answered questions from a police officer and ended up with a ticket for reckless driving. Live and learn!

Bruce
All well and good but consequences can be nasty too. Eg missing flight, getting black-flagged for future inspections every time, etc.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Freedom ain't free.

Bruce
Old Dec 29, 2007, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL, AA, US, AC, Marriott Platinum, HHhonors Silver (Woo Hoo!)
As an American living in Canada, once the immigration officer establishes that I reside in Toronto, I usually get the question of what is the purpose of my visit to the U.S. My response is always the same: "I am going home". I say this no matter what city in the U.S. I am traveling to. Most of the time I get a chuckle or a half smile from the officer. Sometimes I get a "welcome back" from the officer. Sometimes I get more probing questions like is my family in XYZ city or whatever, but most time the answer has the effect of verbally disarming the officer.

My experience has been that a positive attitude goes a long way to a smooth encounter with immigrations/customs. One day I will perhaps find the officer who will not react kindly to my declaration of the United States as my home. But so far, so good. It is an art not a science.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by vesicle
...people do not change...imagine how many other nasty things he has done because he could get away with it. People like him deserve to be hung out to dry.

These kind of people act this way because they CAN. Power corrupts as we know and it seems to corrupt innately stupid and mean people much more than the average joe...logically I guess.

You are so right, and that is part of what still bothers me about it - that guy should have had severe enough consequences that he never would say such an appalling thing to anyone again. It bothers me that he was free to continue thinking that what he said was not horrid and stupid and racist and abusive. I hope my stunned silence sent some kind of message, but I doubt it.
Old Dec 30, 2007, 4:48 am

No need to be embarrassed at all. It is easy for us to say in hindsight what we 'should' or 'would' have done but much harder to think straight when someone does something so blatantly wrong and horrible that we never imagined it could happen.

You were wronged plain and simple...it's not playing the victim...it is not being thin skinned or not having a sense of humor...this was pure and simple WRONG and too many people think it's no big deal. This guy has for sure kept this up if he is even still in the system...people do not change...imagine how many other nasty things he has done because he could get away with it. People like him deserve to be hung out to dry.

How can power corrupt if people do not change?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:05 am

Hehe....you know exactly what I meant but it is more fun to try and start a semantics argument isn't it now...?
Old Dec 30, 2007, 5:29 am

Hehe....you know exactly what I meant but it is more fun to try and start a semantics argument isn't it now...?
Heh,heh, there's a few folks on this board that like to pull that on me every single time we have an encounter. That's where I learned it from.

I find it interesting that some of the posters on this board engage in the very same behavior that they allegedly detest so much.

I am not, of course, referring to you vesicle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.