Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As a US citizen, what questions is Customs permitted to ask you on arrival in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by law dawg
The officer can ASK most any question they want (within reason of course, ie-no probing into one's sex life, etc. ). The question is not can they ask, the question is - is one required to answer?

The answer to that is - it depends. Most US citizens don't need to answer much at the Immigration portion of arrivals. Its the Customs portion that's more pertinent. They may ask you though where did you visit, how long, etc. and always remember one can be secondaried and search for little to no cause at arrivals. Evasion or refusal to answer may be considered by the officer "this is taking too long - send to secondary."

Honestly, though, a cop asking, say, for permission to search your car is fine. He can ask and one can say yes or no. The question comes in is what is permissible absent consent.
Yes, good point - although you are required only to answer the questions on the customs declaration, they can ASK anything they want, and if you CHOOSE to answer, you can be charged be charged with either perjury or lying to an officer in the event you answer untruthfully -- which is, of course, one of the main reasons why your best course of action is to decline to answer anything, but rather to refer the inspector to your signed declaration.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:33 am

Programs: NW,SQ
Perhaps a Jedi Mind Trick on the agent might help in the future...
Move along... move along....
Old Dec 26, 2007, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osamede
No I am not naive, just aware of what democracy actually is- and what my tax payment is actually for. You may want to ask yourself the same question, because that is how democracy goes down the drain.
The US is not a democracy.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Exactly. Once, I asked an immigration officer why they don't generally stamp US passports unless you request it, and he said "because we don't have to 'admit' US citizens and residents--this is your home country."
I have a LOT of US stamps in my US passport - at least half the entries were stamped at airports including JFK, ATL, CVG, IAH, and YVR (clearing US immigration).
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by G702TT
He made a mistake asking you about the purpose of your visit. People do make mistakes. Why waste your energy on a philosophical battle that carries onto Internet message boards long after the incident happened? Best to just tell him you are visiting family for the holidays and forget about it. You will never see that agent again.
Why do you think this was a mistake? I am a Canadian citizen living in the USA who is asked all the time by the Canadian equivalents to CBP what my purpose of visiting Canada is.

It's they way all English speaking countries are as far as I can tell.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by nacirema
Stations through which I have entered US:
BOS, JFK, PIT, RDU, MIA, NAS, ORD, DFW, LAX, SFO, YVR, YYZ and 2 seaports, FLL and SFO
The people at the DEN stations are first class jerks though.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:12 am
Suspended

I am a US citizen living abroad. Came home for xmas recently and the customs guy was grilling me about the "purpose of my visit". I told him I had no "purpose", I was an American coming home for xmas, like everybody else. He insisted, no I must have a "purpose". I told him that regardless of where I was resident, I was a taxpaying (Uncle Sam is quit eager to tax and double-tax citizens abroad, to the point of obsession), passport carrying American and I didnt need a "reason" to re-enter or exist in my own country.

He seem to find this objectionable.

Do you think the officer assumed you were returning home from travel abroad and was asking the purpose of your trip abroad?

I dont mind them asking me where I have been of if I am carrying anything illegal, but are they constitutionally allowed to demand reasons for wanting to be in your own country, when you are simply exercising your right as a US citizen to do so? Sounds peverse to me.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: Fly Amtrak, Go Greyhound! I'm often wrong but always sincere.
Originally Posted by stockmanjr
They actually really don't care why you've come back to the states they care about how you react when your asked the question...
Cheers
Howie

Ding, Ding, Ding...Winner

It's all subtle interrogation, they are looking for reaction and anything to give them cause to search further.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacirema
Immigration - most time than not it's "Welcome home". Few times it's just 1 or 2 questions, "how long have you been gone and where?" Never more than that.
It's like that when I travel alone. When I travel with my wife, who is Chinese but a naturalized U.S. citizen with a U.S. passport, we (and usually she) are frequently given the third degree. Recently, returning through SFO, the "DHS Officer" was so abusive (and racist) that I filed I complaint with his supervisor. Naturally, nothing came of it, or, at least, I never heard of anything.

I've found Customs to almost always be pretty good -- polite, friendly and efficient. Returning home from China two weeks ago, I was given a secondary that consisted of hoisting my luggage onto a giant x-ray machine, and answering one question ("What's in the canisters?" "Tea"). I wasn't thrilled at having to lift my over-weight bags onto the x-ray conveyor myself but, aside from that, the process was over quickly.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel
It's like that when I travel alone. When I travel with my wife, who is Chinese but a naturalized U.S. citizen with a U.S. passport, we (and usually she) are frequently given the third degree. Recently, returning through SFO, the "DHS Officer" was so abusive (and racist) that I filed I complaint with his supervisor. Naturally, nothing came of it, or, at least, I never heard of anything.

I've found Customs to almost always be pretty good -- polite, friendly and efficient. Returning home from China two weeks ago, I was given a secondary that consisted of hoisting my luggage onto a giant x-ray machine, and answering one question ("What's in the canisters?" "Tea"). I wasn't thrilled at having to lift my over-weight bags onto the x-ray conveyor myself but, aside from that, the process was over quickly.
Of course, it's the same people doing the Immigration and Customs checks these days, unlike in previous incarnations when INS and Customs were separate functions.
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chalf

When entering the US in Dallas, I have discovered that if one can state the Dallas Cowboys score for the past two weeks, as well as the next opponent of the NFL team in one's city of destination, one is waved through with no further questions.
When entering in HNL recently I greeted the inspector with "Go Rainbow Warriors." He smiled and told me it's just the Warriors now, stamped my passport and waived me through
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:03 pm

I dont mind them asking me where I have been of if I am carrying anything illegal, but are they constitutionally allowed to demand reasons for wanting to be in your own country, when you are simply exercising your right as a US citizen to do so? Sounds peverse to me.
Matter of fact, yea. They can.

Ingress into a nation, even by one of its citizens, is subject to examination. For one thing, are you really a citizen of that nation? Simply because you claim you are a citizen does not mean you can breeze in. They can ask questions to ensure you are you and you are not coming in to blow stuff up. Thus, the question was probably more to elicit your reaction and response rather than actual info. Example, you are asked why are you coming home? If the answer doesn't come up fast enough, or if you appear aggitated or somehow unable to even think or you answer "to visit my family in Utah" when the ticket clears you through only to NY, etc.

Another example: you are here to aid in other's illegal actions. for example, the NY Times noted the story in 2006 that Federal authorities have prevented two relatives of a father and son convicted recently in a terrorism-related case from returning home to California from Pakistan unless they agree to be interviewed by the F.B.I.

Also, try 18 USC 1541-1547 on the misuse of a passport.

Ultimately, they cannot stop you from entering back into the U.S. But can they ask you questions? You bet. Can you refuse? You bet. Can you be detained until the confirm your identity? You bet.

Remember: the 4th Amendment only prohibits "unreasonable" search and seizure. What is "Reasonble" to ask at a border crossing is very different that what would be reasonable to ask if you were walking down the street minding your own business.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
If you haven't yet passed them, have you actually entered the US?

No, you haven't. You may be present, physically in the country, but even then you, citizen or no, have no "right" to proceed further until questioned as to identity, health and purpose for visit.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:10 pm

Govt is supposed to serve the citizens of this country and we pay taxes for fund their services. At this point, the tail is wagging the dog here. Its not their right to demand justification as to why I should or can can enter the country - it is my country.
{comments deleted by moderator}

You were asked standard questions. No one stopped you. And yet, they have every right to ensure you are who you say you are, that you are in fact a US citizen, etc. Moreover, as someone noted elsewhere, it is decidely possible the purpose of the question was determine if you were a business traveller and thus subject to carrying-currency-over-a-certain-amount rules/laws that you would have to declare the currency or taxation factors.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 27, 2007 at 2:53 pm Reason: Excessive sarcasm removed
Old Dec 27, 2007, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
They actually really don't care why you've come back to the states they care about how you react when your asked the question...
Cheers
Howie
That's my guess as to why he was asked. But no, much easier to throw a hissy fit on this board.

Everything's a Bush/Rove/police state/Halliburton/9-11 conspiracy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.