Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Man almost dies drinking a liter of vodka in a security line..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Man almost dies drinking a liter of vodka in a security line..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2007, 12:49 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I would second the Darwin award comment, but the guy is 64 years old. Assuming his wife is around the same age, I don't think he is going to reproduce anyway.

So, he chugs a bottle of vodka and then almost dies at the airport. Is he going to be asked to pay for the costs associated with his little temper tantrum (medical response, etc), or is he going to get a pass and a slap on the wrist. I'm sure that German taxpayers are waiting in earnest to find out.

I think the liquid laws are pretty stupid, too, but I'm not about to put my life in danger to protest them. There are other ways of fighting this.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:23 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Talking

Originally Posted by etch5895
I would second the Darwin award comment, but the guy is 64 years old. Assuming his wife is around the same age, I don't think he is going to reproduce anyway.

So, he chugs a bottle of vodka and then almost dies at the airport. Is he going to be asked to pay for the costs associated with his little temper tantrum (medical response, etc), or is he going to get a pass and a slap on the wrist. I'm sure that German taxpayers are waiting in earnest to find out.

I think the liquid laws are pretty stupid, too, but I'm not about to put my life in danger to protest them. There are other ways of fighting this.
True, but few of them are as funny to read about.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:48 am

It really is funny, stupid funny but still
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:53 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by etch5895
He will need to pay. I saw a programme on Frankfurt airport where they followed the police and doctors around. One of the patients was a guy who was sitting somewhere landside, seemingly unconsciously. When the doctor tried to shake him, he answered "Nastrowje!". There was one empty bottle of Vodka, and a half empty one next to him. Anyway, he had to pay for the ambulance, and the "hotel" room on the ward... Not cheap either, I think almost €500.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:09 am
formerly OliverS

Originally Posted by Doppy
Some guy once did this in front of me at German customs, but with a bag of apples. Luckily for him, binging on apples isn't quite as dangerous.
At least after that he had a believable reason to jump the line - if they didn't let him through fast it would all turn to crap pretty quickly..
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:18 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
This may be the first time that real life has mirrored a Terry and June episode

(Admittedly, that was to get through customs on return from France with too much wine, but the gist is there...)
Old Dec 13, 2007, 4:34 am

Although in all fairness to this guy, airport security lines make me want to drink heavily, too.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by ALARISstl
Until I read the post I thought it was going to be about a Southwest passenger.
Haha! It seems that all they show is the drunks that try to board. They should rename the airline to Alcoholic Airlines.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ralfp
Unless the vodka made him sterile, he's net eligible for that award.
Stupidity alone can get you an honorable mention (if it's terminal-class stupidity, which this was), but you're right, he's not eligible for the main award unless he's taken out of the gene pool.

IMO, he would have been a leading candidate if he HAD killed himself...

As much as TSA (and their equivalents in other countries) piss me off, it's not worth killing myself over in a fit of stupidity.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 7:24 am

A curious spin on "suicide by cop"
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:38 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner

Last edited by patgarrett; Dec 13, 2007 at 10:49 am
Old Dec 13, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: Amex, S/wood Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5*, QFC; LHW, Accor Platinum
Smile

Just curious- did he really think that he might be a chance of boarding... given that everyone had just seen him drink a litre of Vodka (even if he didn't almost die). Sorry - am I being too rational??
Old Dec 13, 2007, 6:01 pm

This Guy is undoubtedly my hero
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bodo
Just curious- did he really think that he might be a chance of boarding... given that everyone had just seen him drink a litre of Vodka (even if he didn't almost die). Sorry - am I being too rational??
My experience flying on European carriers is that they don't seem to deny boarding very often. I've flown next to some people who've smelled like they have guzzled a litre of booze.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 3:14 pm

Programs: AC*S, AS, CX, Marriott Platinum, Nexus, Specialized AWOL Touring Bicycle
I wouldn't mess with a guy who can down that much vodka.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.