Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Wants to Know Where I'm Going

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by essxjay
Here's how I plan to play the SPOT Game:

TSO: "What's the purpose of your trip?"
essxjay: "Why do you ask?"
IF the TSO's response is a statement, I respond with, "Oh."

ELSE If the TSO's response is another question, I ask one (or more) of the following:
  • "Why specifically are you asking ______________?"
  • "Are you SPOTting me?"
  • "Why do you 'need' to know?"
  • "Am I free to leave?
END IF
Lest someone take exception to such tactics, I can think of far worse replies (such as, "It's none of your effing business," or some other. *g*)
or with my pet peeve being:

tso: do you mind if i ask where you are going today?
me: yes, now move along as there's nothing to see here.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
At the risk of straying OT for a moment, this tactic of answering a question with a question is exactly how the ancient Rabbis taught their students. I think answering the nosy screener's question with another question is a great approach!
Socrates was an ancient rabbi?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by polonius
My US lawyer advised me not to answer any questions by US law enforcement, including TSA. By law, you have to provide the information in the landing card and customs declaration, but that is ALL. Doing otherwise is risky -- for example, if they ask you "where are you going?" and you innocently respond "New York", but you are actually flying to Newark, which is technically in New Jersey, they could then arrest you for lying to a federal officer, a federal crime. Then they could do as they have with dozens of people and try to turn you into al-Qaeda informant in exchange for dropping the charges. On my recent trip to the USA, I always responded, "I can't provide that information." If pressed, I would explain I had been advised by counsel not to answer any questions.
Okay, time for a reality check:

1. Answering "New York" as a destination when flying into EWR is not lying to a federal officer and you won't be prosecuted for it, much less "turned into an Al Qaeda informant." That's just ridiculous. Far more likely is, if they're suspicious of you for some reason, they'll either hold you indefinitely without explanation or justification (and the does violate your Constitutional rights) or, more likely, if you are not a U.S. citizen, simply refuse to admit you to the country.

2. The right against self-incrimination under the 5th Amendment applies to non-citizens as well as citizens. You do not have to answer anything. However, DHS also doesn't have to admit you to the country if you are a non-citizen. TSOs are not law enforcement officers (though DHS Immigration are). However, any admission made to anyone can always be used against you. U.S. citizens do have an absolute right to be re-admitted to the U.S. I had an interesting run-in once with an Immigration officer who threatened (in a light, joking but certainly serious way) to refuse to re-admit me unless I answered a question which, as a matter of law, I was bound not to answer (He asked me the name of the client I had gone to visit in Toronto).
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:12 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, Marriott Gold, DL Silver, Hilton Silver, F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Here's another tack:

Screener: "Where are you going?"

Passenger: "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you. It's a secret."

Passenger: "To take a piss. Why? You wanna hold it?"
Old Aug 9, 2007, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
"Going to 'X'" (where X is the destination on my boarding pass).
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:04 pm

QUOTE=jonesing;8204731]Screener: "Where are you going?"

Passenger: "To take a piss. Why? You wanna hold it?" [/QUOTE]

After 5 pages, your response is my absolute favorite! ^

LOL!

Last edited by GeneralAviation; Aug 9, 2007 at 5:06 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:31 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
"Where are you going"

Je ne parle pas anglais.

French, when have you not saved me from conversing with a fool?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by jonesing

ROTFLMAO. now THAT is information i would volunteer.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
If only I knew how to combine the two sentiments.

Originally Posted by jonesing

Originally Posted by mkt
"Where are you going"

Je ne parle pas anglais.

Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA 1P, IC Priority Club Gold
Originally Posted by vassilipan
TSA "officers", with the exception of FAM's, are not law enforcement officers; please do not confuse the two. Many TSO's may think of themselves as such, but they are far from it.
Exactly...they're the same as mall rent-a-cops.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
Border Patrol Checkpoints 50 Miles In From Border

I can't help but think that TSA is profiling in the same way the Border Patrol does in Texas.

At the checkpoint, you roll up to the Border Patrol Agent. Roll down your window.

"Where are you from?" BPA says.

"San Antonio" I reply.

"Thank you." BPA then gives a commanding wave to move on.

This is my experience. I'm very light skinned and still sound like a Yankee.

Others I know who have driven through the same checkpoints get more scrutiny if they don't speak like "we" do (that is, there are a number of uniquely American (U.S. citizen) dialects (especially in Texas)) or they have physical characteristics that are commonly identified with illegal aliens.

Think of it as racial profiling with a language twist.

The part I think is particularly funny (it is easy for me to laugh about - I always get waved on), is when the questioning comes from a BPA that normally covers the Canadian border. As in, "Where are you from, Eh?" Like they know what Texans sound like.

Maybe you would have to be there....

One last thing to light up all you live free or die types: We get stopped at these border checkpoints 50 miles in from the border even though we never left the United States of America. Imagine, no border crossing but still the police state tactics! The horror of it all.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkt
"Where are you going"

Je ne parle pas anglais.

Ah, bien, je parle francais aussi! Ou allez-vous?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:44 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by PTravel
Ah, bien, je parle francais aussi! Ou allez-vous?
I'd still rather not answer However, I've yet to meet a TSO that speaks any French. Spanish isn't hard... so I keep my first language at bay.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:10 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
How about... "These aren't the 'droids that you're looking for." with a very small, but smooth hand motion. That would flip the guy out.

In the meantime, my answer will be, "I am not at liberty to discuss my travel plans or my business with you. You do not have need to know. You are authorized to verify my identity against my boarding pass, which lists my destination. Have a good day."
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by runarut
One last thing to light up all you live free or die types: We get stopped at these border checkpoints 50 miles in from the border even though we never left the United States of America. Imagine, no border crossing but still the police state tactics! The horror of it all.
THat one does bother me.

However, one of those checkpoints in Texas found a truck with 50 illegals in it yesterday, 'least according to the San Antonio fishwrapper. Why someone would be dumb enough to think they could get through a *well known* and *permanent* checkpoint with a load like that is beyond me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.