Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Wants to Know Where I'm Going

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:20 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
I really don't want to tell anyone anything more than I have to do. I wonder if Bart or another TSA person could tell us what their take is on asking these questions? I'm sure they can ask any question they want, but what if you refuse to answer or if you lie to them. Is there a legal penalty for that consequence?

I feel the same way about those questions as reporting that you are carrying more than $10,000 or more cash. I understand the usefulness of security knowing about it, but I would not want to set myself up as an easy target. I don't want to tell an individual about it, since it's already logged in elsewhere. That just seems nosy.

Last edited by coxta; Aug 10, 2007 at 8:04 pm
Old Aug 10, 2007, 2:50 pm

Location: Near Chicago and Under the MDW and ORD Flight Paths, IL, USA
Programs: UA recovering Premier
Originally Posted by coxta
I feel the same way about those questions as reporting that you are carrying more than $10,000 or more cash. I understand the usefulness of security knowing about it, but I would not want to set myself up as an easy target. I don't want to tell an individual about it, since it's already logged in elsewhere. That just seems nosy.
Carrying that cash is a different area of law. The "$10,000" limit has to do with money laundering and there are Federal laws that deal with disclosure. If you go to a car dealer and buy a car with more than $10,000 in cash, they have to report you. Same thing if you go to the bank and deposit $10,000 in cash. So that disclosure is required by law.

To my knowledge, TSA has no authority to ask you about your travel plans and there is no legal recourse if you refuse to answer. That, however, would likely not stop a determined TSAer from going the "Do you want to fly today?" route. My guess, however, is that preventing you from flying with the rationale that you didn't answer a SPOT question wouldn't survive the test of litigation; however, I suspect that the reason for preventing you from flying would not be refusing to answer the SPOT questions. They'd find something else.

The other trump card here is the Federal Privacy Act.

You could go the route of:

TSA: "Where you headed today and for what purpose?"
p1: "Under provisions of the Federal Privacy Act, you are required to inform me about the authority for this request and whether or not the request constitutes a mandate or is voluntary."

Then, under provisions of the Federal Privacy Act, they would also have to disclose...

p1: "Why do you need to know?"
p1: "What are you going to do with that information?"
p1: "I would like a copy of your data collection records on me."
p1: "Where is the collection of records maintained?"
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by PTravel
I'm no defender of TSA, nor the illegal tactics of this administration. However, do you really think the threat from terrorism is "non-existent"?
It's all relative IMO. The footpint of a terrorist act can be large, but other crimes are so prevalent that people don't think about their impact on society. The threat from terrorism inside the US is essentially non-existent when compared to the threat of being raped, mugged, robbed, or having your identity stolen. I'm much more concerned about those things than I am about terrorism.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
This will shut them up.

"Well, my parents were on a walk after dinner last night; some drunk teen ran them over and killed them. I have to go to the morgue to identify the bodies. I hope you'll have a better day than me!"
Old Aug 10, 2007, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by coxta
It's the same with people who have to carry certain types of medical devices or medications. Most of the time, TSO's are very discreet about it but some want you to tell them exactly why you need to carry a certain item/medication. IMO, being forced to choose between flying and having to disclose protected medical information should carry a penalty for the TSO.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott, AA EXP, United, Alaska, AirTran
San Antonio Fish Wrappers

Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
The San Antonio Excessive Nuisance.

You realize that San Antonio is the only major city in the US without a daily newspaper?
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:38 pm

The Law

Originally Posted by p1cunnin
The other trump card here is the Federal Privacy Act.

You could go the route of:

TSA: "Where you headed today and for what purpose?"
p1: "Under provisions of the Federal Privacy Act, you are required to inform me about the authority for this request and whether or not the request constitutes a mandate or is voluntary."

Then, under provisions of the Federal Privacy Act, they would also have to disclose...

p1: "Why do you need to know?"
p1: "What are you going to do with that information?"
p1: "I would like a copy of your data collection records on me."
p1: "Where is the collection of records maintained?"

Could you please post the U.S. Code or caselaw citation for this? I'd love to look it up in detail. Thanks.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PaulKarl
Could you please post the U.S. Code or caselaw citation for this? I'd love to look it up in detail. Thanks.
From a simple Google search:

The Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a

(e) Agency requirements

Each agency that maintains a system of records shall--

(1) maintain in its records only such information about an individual as is relevant and necessary to accomplish a purpose of the agency required to be accomplished by statute or by Executive order of the President;

(2) collect information to the greatest extent practicable directly from the subject individual when the information may result in adverse determinations about an individual's rights, benefits, and privileges under Federal programs;

(3) inform each individual whom it asks to supply information, on the form which it uses to collect the information or on a separate form that can be retained by the individual--

(A) the authority (whether granted by statute, or by Executive order of the President) which authorizes the solicitation of the information and whether disclosure of such information is mandatory or voluntary;

(B) the principal purpose or purposes for which the information is intended to be used;

(C) the routine uses which may be made of the information, as published pursuant to paragraph (4)(D) of this subsection; and

(D) the effects on him, if any, of not providing all or any part of the requested information;

(4) subject to the provisions of paragraph (11) of this subsection, publish in the Federal Register upon establishment or revision a notice of the existence and character of the system of records, which notice shall include--

(A) the name and location of the system;

(B) the categories of individuals on whom records are maintained in the system;

(C) the categories of records maintained in the system;

(D) each routine use of the records contained in the system, including the categories of users and the purpose of such use;

(E) the policies and practices of the agency regarding storage, retrievability, access controls, retention, and disposal of the records;

(F) the title and business address of the agency official who is responsible for the system of records;

(G) the agency procedures whereby an individual can be notified at his request if the system of records contains a record pertaining to him;

(H) the agency procedures whereby an individual can be notified at his request how he can gain access to any record pertaining to him contained in the system of records, and how he can contest its content; and

(I) the categories of sources of records in the system;

(5) maintain all records which are used by the agency in making any determination about any individual with such accuracy, relevance, timeliness, and completeness as is reasonably necessary to assure fairness to the individual in the determination;

(6) prior to disseminating any record about an individual to any person other than an agency, unless the dissemination is made pursuant to subsection (b)(2) of this section, make reasonable efforts to assure that such records are accurate, complete, timely, and relevant for agency purposes;

(7) maintain no record describing how any individual exercises rights guaranteed by the First Amendment unless expressly authorized by statute or by the individual about whom the record is maintained or unless pertinent to and within the scope of an authorized law enforcement activity;

(8) make reasonable efforts to serve notice on an individual when any record on such individual is made available to any person under compulsory legal process when such process becomes a matter of public record;

(9) establish rules of conduct for persons involved in the design, development, operation, or maintenance of any system of records, or in maintaining any record, and instruct each such person with respect to such rules and the requirements of this section, including any other rules and procedures adopted pursuant to this section and the penalties for noncompliance;

(10) establish appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards to insure the security and confidentiality of records and to protect against any anticipated threats or hazards to their security or integrity which could result in substantial harm, embarrassment, inconvenience, or unfairness to any individual on whom information is maintained;

(11) at least 30 days prior to publication of information under paragraph (4)(D) of this subsection, publish in the Federal Register notice of any new use or intended use of the information in the system, and provide an opportunity for interested persons to submit written data, views, or arguments to the agency; and

(12) if such agency is a recipient agency or a source agency in a matching program with a non-Federal agency, with respect to any establishment or revision of a matching program, at least 30 days prior to conducting such program, publish in the Federal Register notice of such establishment or revision.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 8:11 pm

Programs: AC, SWA, AA, NWA, EVA
I'm quite aware about the $10k limit of deposit at a bank, etc, and I do understand the usefulness of the information. However, there should be a better solution since it isn't illegal to carry cash in any amount, it's that you have to report it to an airport official and there is no recourse for privacy or personal security.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 8:46 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
The Privacy Act of 1974, 5 U.S.C. § 552a
Each agency that maintains a system of records...
A screener asking impertinent questions does not constitute maintaining a system of records. Unless he/she writes it down, which their SPOTting charade does not require.

All you can do is simply "I decline to answer" and risk the punishment secondary, although citing the requirements of the PA might deflect the questioning. The screener will select you for punishment secondary anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:40 am

I have not worked for the TSA for about 5 months. When I did we where never directed to ask any questions of passengers about where they were going or why. What I did see was TSO's trying to be friendly by engaging the passengers in conversations about where they were headed. I also saw on a few occasions TSO's and supervisors attempt to intimidate passengers with questions. This was a very rare occasion. In my 3 years I saw this maybe twice.

I have to add I worked at a small airport in the midwest. It was a very relaxed and friendly enviroment compared to other airports I have traveled thru.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Does it really matter and is it worth getting worked up over and starting a thread about?
Yes it does matter and it is worth getting worked up about. They are not Customs and it is not their place to ask those questions. TSA is constantly overstepping the bounds of their authority. If you want to live with the wool over your eyes Mr. Sheep that is your business but do not be surprised when others are not so accepting.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
Smile

If questioned where I was goin...

"nunya"

would be the answer.

This question, within the domestic US, is the equivalent of "Papers please!"
I'm sick of this stuff in the name of "security".

Usually, however, from the midwest airports I usualy fly to/from, I usually get a more friendly "How are you doing today"

To which I reply

"I was better, but I got over it."

Those that get it, get a chuckle. Those that don't, just look at me with that puzzled dog look.

Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javajunkie
If questioned where I was goin...

"nunya"

would be the answer.

This question, within the domestic US, is the equivalent of "Papers please!"
I'm sick of this stuff in the name of "security".

Usually, however, from the midwest airports I usualy fly to/from, I usually get a more friendly "How are you doing today"

To which I reply

"I was better, but I got over it."

Those that get it, get a chuckle. Those that don't, just look at me with that puzzled dog look.

From time to time, I'll encounter those friendly sort of TSOs at LAX and SFO -- either they enjoy their interactions with the public or they can fake it really well. Either way, it makes a world of difference in the experience. Why can't TSA devote some attention to this aspect of the job? After a long, tough day, the last thing I'm in the mood for is one of those barkers, "ALL SHOES OFF! LAPTOPS OUT BAGS! PAY ATTENTION FOLKS! DO YOU WANT TO FLY TODAY?"
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
I just read this article:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...20/DD42073.DTL

It doesn't support your contention that saying, "New York" when you fly to EWR will constitute lying to a federal officer. The FBI was abusive in the Higazy case in that it questioned him without allowing him legal counsel and, of course, the Bush administration has simply ignored the Constitution when it comes to detaining and imprisoning people it doesn't like. However, your contention was both factually and legally inaccurate and completely overstates the stituation (which is bad enough as it is)..
Actually, the article was accurate but incomplete. Higazy did have legal counsel, but his counsel agreed to allow the FBI to conduct a POLYGRAPH test without his counsel present in the belief this would clear him of suspicion. In the event, once they got him in the room alone, they forgot about the test and began pressuiring him to "confess" by threatening his family. He freaked out and signed. Once he emerged his lawyer asked, "how did the test go?" and the FBI agent responded by saying"never mind the polygraph, we got a confession!"

I would suspect it is not, but that's a shoot-from-the-hip answer and shouldn't be relied upon. As others have noted, TSOs aren't LEOs.
Most likely you are correct, in most cases. But what is the point of taking the risk? if they ask questions, the safest thing to do is decline to answer.

If you refuse to answer the questions of the DHS Immigration officer (who is a LEO and not a TSO), I guarantee you will not be visiting the U.S. -- that's true of any country.
Not true -- i have frequently been asked questionj answering which would violate the mandates of NDA restraints. I often tell them such info is under NDA, and such NDA has a clause that permits me to diviulge this info under a court order, so if they want to get a court order, I'd be happy to answer. The worts thing that has happened is that they scowl at me officiously as they stamp me in. In fact, they don't even wish me a pleasant stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.