Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Here's another tack:

Screener: "Where are you going?"

Passenger: "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you. It's a secret."
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Lufthansa Miles & More, Flying Blue, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
My standard reply if asked this is: "I was not aware that I was required to tell the Federal Government about my domestic travel plans."

My US lawyer advised me not to answer any questions by US law enforcement, including TSA. By law, you have to provide the information in the landing card and customs declaration, but that is ALL. Doing otherwise is risky -- for example, if they ask you "where are you going?" and you innocently respond "New York", but you are actually flying to Newark, which is technically in New Jersey, they could then arrest you for lying to a federal officer, a federal crime. Then they could do as they have with dozens of people and try to turn you into al-Qaeda informant in exchange for dropping the charges. On my recent trip to the USA, I always responded, "I can't provide that information." If pressed, I would explain I had been advised by counsel not to answer any questions.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:33 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
There goes another one. In my time at FT, I've counted at least four screeners who've gotten fed up and left after being participants in this forum. It's a measure of success. We should all congratulate ourselves.
i disagree. we're talking about someone volutarily deciding to leave their job based on frustration who in no way possible, could take even the most logical and common sense suggestion (perhaps learned from f/t) for change and have even the slightest hope of getting it even considered becasue it is the nature of the tsa to not embrace change except in a knee jerk reaction. we, as travellers are faced with the frustrations from "the outside" and DCA TSO has obviously been facing his/hers from the inside. i can't speak for how DCA TSO does his/her job as he/she could be the model tsa screener that we all love to deal with (seriously meant as their are great ones out there) or the screener from he|| but again, this is someone who appears to be as fed up with the same type of BS that we have to deal with.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 7:42 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by polonius
Doing otherwise is risky -- for example, if they ask you "where are you going?" and you innocently respond "New York", but you are actually flying to Newark, which is technically in New Jersey, they could then arrest you for lying to a federal officer, a federal crime.
I have a couple of questions / observations on the above...

First, do TSOs constitute the sort of "federal officer" for which to provide false information is a crime? I'm not sure about that.

Second, just because you are flying to EWR doesn't mean you are not "going" to NYC. For that particular case, even though EWR is in NJ and not NY, it's certainly considered a metropolitan NYC airport. But in the broader case, where you are flying is not necessarily the same as where you are going; I've flown, for instance, to COS, and then driven up to DEN, or flown to SAN and driven to PSP or IPL.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by goalie
i disagree. we're talking about someone volutarily deciding to leave their job based on frustration who in no way possible, could take even the most logical and common sense suggestion (perhaps learned from f/t) for change and have even the slightest hope of getting it even considered becasue it is the nature of the tsa to not embrace change except in a knee jerk reaction. we, as travellers are faced with the frustrations from "the outside" and DCA TSO has obviously been facing his/hers from the inside. i can't speak for how DCA TSO does his/her job as he/she could be the model tsa screener that we all love to deal with (seriously meant as their are great ones out there) or the screener from he|| but again, this is someone who appears to be as fed up with the same type of BS that we have to deal with.
Actually, Goalie, DCA TSO has shown on this forum to have both wits, common sense and a functioning brain -- at least in the postings that I have seen from his keyboard. I gather that DCA TSO having these three commendable qualities disqualifies him from working in the TSA simply because he wouldn't fit in (from the boss and down, it seems that these three qualities are in scarce supply).

DCA TSO, happy that you leave the TSA if it means you will get more satisfaction elsewhere. Sad since, if you in real life are as your postings indicate, you'd be the kind of screener I'd prefer. But I hope you'll stick around FT, at least....
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:52 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
My US lawyer advised me not to answer any questions by US law enforcement, including TSA.
TSA "officers", with the exception of FAM's, are not law enforcement officers; please do not confuse the two. Many TSO's may think of themselves as such, but they are far from it.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
Here's another tack:

Screener: "Where are you going?"

Passenger: "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you. It's a secret."
It's not secret, it's SSI.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:01 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Does it really matter and is it worth getting worked up over and starting a thread about?
Does it really matter and is it worth adding a totally non-contributory response to a thread ?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Superguy
It's not secret, it's SSI.
Sorry - that information is classified and you have no need to know.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Then they could do as they have with dozens of people and try to turn you into al-Qaeda informant in exchange for dropping the charges.
You may want to listen verrrryyyy carefully:
That whump, whump sound in the background is from the black helicopters sent JUST FOR YOU!

Best, Dave
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bseller
You may want to listen verrrryyyy carefully:
That whump, whump sound in the background is from the black helicopters sent JUST FOR YOU!

Best, Dave
While I think there's an "abundance of caution" -- call it bordering on the paranoid if not paranoia itself regardless of the circumstances -- blackmailing people for legal infractions to make them informants in exchange for dropping the charges or granting immunity is not unique or non-existent.

There's alway the pretend not to speak/hear/understand what the TSAer says. That's always interesting -- more so when some idiot working for DHS/TSA or the boarding pass checker doesn't believe a hearing/speaking/language challenged person actually does have issues with communication.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by GUWonder
blackmailing people for legal infractions to make them informants in exchange for dropping the charges or granting immunity is not unique or non-existent.
Perhaps. I would tend to agree with you that it's a bit extreme. In any event, the poster's lawyer was likely simply trying to cover all the bases, and my response dealt more with the Al-Queda comment.

Best, Dave
Old Aug 9, 2007, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by essxjay
Here's how I plan to play the SPOT Game:

TSO: "What's the purpose of your trip?"
essxjay: "Why do you ask?"
IF the TSO's response is a statement, I respond with, "Oh."

ELSE If the TSO's response is another question, I ask one (or more) of the following:
  • "Why specifically are you asking ______________?"
  • "Are you SPOTting me?"
  • "Why do you 'need' to know?"
  • "Am I free to leave?
END IF
Lest someone take exception to such tactics, I can think of far worse replies (such as, "It's none of your effing business," or some other. *g*)
At the risk of straying OT for a moment, this tactic of answering a question with a question is exactly how the ancient Rabbis taught their students. I think answering the nosy screener's question with another question is a great approach!
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:15 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
At the risk of straying OT for a moment, this tactic of answering a question with a question is exactly how the ancient Rabbis taught their students. I think answering the nosy screener's question with another question is a great approach!
I know you are but what am I?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, HH Gold, dirt loads of places.
Originally Posted by exerda
Second, just because you are flying to EWR doesn't mean you are not "going" to NYC. For that particular case, even though EWR is in NJ and not NY, it's certainly considered a metropolitan NYC airport.
Indeed. I recall, some time well after my first flight into EWR, being very surprised to find out that it wasn't in NY. Of course, that was a rather long time ago...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.