Wiki Posts
Search

TSA Wants to Know Where I'm Going

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by thegeneral
Does it really matter and is it worth getting worked up over and starting a thread about?
If it doesn't matter, than why do they need to know?
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andy1369
Remember, guys, not to sound preachy or anything (really!), but most of those nice TSA officers probably hate the stupid rules just as much as we do - but they really can't do much to change the rules, due to all the red tape involved.
I buy that. It's been quite evident from the reactions I get when I wear my KHIAI t-shirt thru security. I don't go looking for grief, but I give it back when it's given.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vassilipan
Possible responses:

BF Egypt
Rooster Fart, Arkansas
Hell, if I don't pray
"Up your a**" is a good one too.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
A year ago as I approached TSA screening at Buf I handed the screener the first of the two boarding passes I would be using for the trip and my driver's license. He told me he needed to see all of the boarding passes I had. I complied. There was only a short line and I was air side in just a few minutes.
My problem is that I don't know when they have stepped over the line. I thought this was intrusive. I think I just need to show the boarding pass needed to get into the concourse of my departing flight.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:02 pm

Where are you going?

Ask American Airlines. They know why I fly.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: BlackBerry7250/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Orion
A year ago as I approached TSA screening at Buf I handed the screener the first of the two boarding passes I would be using for the trip and my driver's license. He told me he needed to see all of the boarding passes I had. I complied. There was only a short line and I was air side in just a few minutes.
My problem is that I don't know when they have stepped over the line. I thought this was intrusive. I think I just need to show the boarding pass needed to get into the concourse of my departing flight.
I would say, No, they don't.
But then I am sure they could then ask, Do you want to fly today?"

But rather then having them see it and be tempted to ask for it, just put it away.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:03 pm

If you are flying to Pennsylvania tell them you are going to Intercourse.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laptop9999
Or if you really want to get a retaliatory secondary, tell them you're going to visit some of their co-workers in Thief River Falls, MN.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by videomaker
At IAH a few weeks ago, I was repacking a video camera after going through the x-ray, and a TSO asked me why it wasn't in a specific (widely-used) type of camera bag. So I told him I usually do use one of those, but had to repack because of the STUPID one-bag rule connecting through London.

He then told me about his work with some particular kind of video equipment with the DC police and we had a nice chat for a couple of minutes as I was repacking gear on the floor.

I'm still not sure if he was just a nice guy or practicing his SPOT techniques, but that -is- the way it should work.
I had a similar experience at ORD a little while ago. I had a camera bag which I had stuffed with every conceivable form of electronic device - cell phone chargers, RFID card reader, PSP, and a few dozen feet of assorted wires, not to mention the camera and lenses. Unsurprisingly, I heard the X-Ray operator call out for a bag check.

The TSO who did the bag check had me unzip the top, and then just started talking to me about photography in general. He talked to me about lenses, cameras, and recommended a book on some basics since I said I was still learning how to use my DSLR after having only a point-and-shoot previously.

After a one or two minute pleasant conversation, he told me to enjoy my flight.

Not sure if it was SPOT or not, but if it was, *that* is the way it should be done.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by laptop9999
They have a shirt up there that says "Virginia may be for lovers but Pennsylvania has Intercourse."
Old Aug 8, 2007, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by DC-COFlyer
PHX this a.m., UA, T2, TSA is checking ID's instead of some company hired by the airlines. Is this a result of the recent security breach? Maybe you FT's who frequent PHX can shed some light.

But here's the kicker: TSO asks me, as he's checking my boarding pass, "where are you going today?" Even though I get asked this question on int'l routes, I was surprised to hear a TSO, looking at a domestic BP, asking me where I was going, to which I responded in a nice tone of voice, "home." Not good enough, he wants to know 'where are you going?" Now I'm ticked, and I say "it says on the BP where I'm going. Why?" "Just want to know." Silence on my part. He stares at BP for at least 30 add'l seconds, scribbles on it, and I move on.

Before you jump to conclusions (and I was worried about his scribbles) no secondary screening...
If all the TSO asked was "Where are you going?", I don't think it's a BFD. If he asked "Why?", then I would advocate getting lippy with him.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Andy1369
That's nice to hear - always makes me feel better to read/hear about decent TSA officers. Not every TSA officer out there is a nutcase out to get us - many of them ARE holding down jobs for their kids and families, and studying on the side. It's the bad apples (which TSA has quite a few of) that ruin our perceptions of TSA.
Thanks Andy, I hope that I was one of these screeners you are referencing.

I'm quitting my job as a screener and in September I'll be doing something else. The job as a screener was getting more and more intolerable. I think the final straw came when I learned that TSOs will be assuming the duties of: ticket checker, liquids tester, and bin runners. We don't have enough screeners to get people out of the fishbowl or do bag checks or sometimes to rotate out someone who's been on x-ray or WTMD for an hour. And the hiring by TSA of only part-time screeners has been disastrous, at least at my airport. Most of them are quitting or planning to quit because they cannot sustain being forced to work 5 days a week but only being allowed to work 5-hour days. These new hires have the option of working full-time, "split shift", if they want to start work at 4:45 am and work until 10:30 am and then be back at 1 pm and work until 4:30 pm (um, like, let me see if the Chinese labor camp has a better offer). Some new, good quality screeners have requested if they could at least work 6 hrs. x 4 days per week. They were denied. Meanwhile you have full-time uber-loafers who don't do a damn thing, b!tch about passengers and treat them like dirt, text message on x-ray, WTMD, and every other position and they're getting these $3000 Kip Hawley PASS bonuses!

So, I'm out of TSA and I'm out of FT. This is my last post and, au revoir friends, I'm signing off.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCA TSO

I'm quitting my job as a screener and in September I'll be doing something else. The job as a screener was getting more and more intolerable. I think the final straw came when I learned that TSOs will be assuming the duties of: ticket checker, liquids tester, and bin runners. We don't have enough screeners to get people out of the fishbowl or do bag checks or sometimes to rotate out someone who's been on x-ray or WTMD for an hour. And the hiring by TSA of only part-time screeners has been disastrous, at least at my airport. Most of them are quitting or planning to quit because they cannot sustain being forced to work 5 days a week but only being allowed to work 5-hour days. These new hires have the option of working full-time, "split shift", if they want to start work at 4:45 am and work until 10:30 am and then be back at 1 pm and work until 4:30 pm (um, like, let me see if the Chinese labor camp has a better offer). Some new, good quality screeners have requested if they could at least work 6 hrs. x 4 days per week. They were denied. Meanwhile you have full-time uber-loafers who don't do a damn thing, b!tch about passengers and treat them like dirt, text message on x-ray, WTMD, and every other position and they're getting these $3000 Kip Hawley PASS bonuses!

So, I'm out of TSA and I'm out of FT. This is my last post and, au revoir friends, I'm signing off.
I can understand your frustration about wanting to leave TSA.

Just because you're leaving TSA doesn't mean you have to leave the forum though. Hope you do decide to stick around.

Super
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:12 am
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Here's how I plan to play the SPOT Game:

TSO: "What's the purpose of your trip?"
essxjay: "Why do you ask?"
IF the TSO's response is a statement, I respond with, "Oh."

ELSE If the TSO's response is another question, I ask one (or more) of the following:
  • "Why specifically are you asking ______________?"
  • "Are you SPOTting me?"
  • "Why do you 'need' to know?"
  • "Am I free to leave?
END IF
Lest someone take exception to such tactics, I can think of far worse replies (such as, "It's none of your effing business," or some other. *g*)
Old Aug 9, 2007, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCA TSO

There goes another one. In my time at FT, I've counted at least four screeners who've gotten fed up and left after being participants in this forum. It's a measure of success. We should all congratulate ourselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.