Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the action undertaken by MKEbound?
Agree
75.92%
Disagree
14.27%
Neither agree nor disagree
7.43%
Not sure
2.38%
Voters: 1009. You may not vote on this poll

I was detained at the TSA checkpoint for about 25 minutes today

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sllevin
If it came out that someone had taken liquids that turned out to be explosives through security in a bag marked "Kip Hawley is an idiot" we'd be all over the TSA for missing such a big obvious clue. We'd be yelling "they take up so much of our time, and here went someone who could have only been more obvious by writing "BOMB" on the bag, and STILL the TSA couldn't prevent it."

Steve
When you say "we", that may include you, but it doesn't necessarily include me. The TSA is not the reading police, or at least it shouldn't be.

Don't you think it's better that the TSA & Co. spend time at work looking for bombs rather than harassing people for having written opinions protected by the Constitution?

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 27, 2006 at 1:13 pm
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:11 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
If it came out that someone had taken liquids that turned out to be explosives through security in a bag marked "Kip Hawley is an idiot" we'd be all over the TSA for missing such a big obvious clue. We'd be yelling "they take up so much of our time, and here went someone who could have only been more obvious by writing "BOMB" on the bag, and STILL the TSA couldn't prevent it."

Steve
Speak for yourself; I can't see myself or most people here criticising the TSA if your scenario played out.

How, exactly, is "Kip Hawley is an idiot" an "obvious clue" that a bag contains explosives?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
Oh, knowing the little Japanese I do, I can think of several rather impolite ways to express what I think of Comrade Hawley.
Hawley no baka would cover it.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:21 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr

THAT ABSOLUTELY ROCKS!!!!

--PP
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:23 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P

Steve
If the TSAers on scene had even the slightest thought that there might be explosives in the bag, they should have run an ETD swab on it instead of detaining and harassing the OP. I would have no problem whatsoever if the TSA had done an ETD swab, random or otherwise, on the OP's bag. ETD of passenger baggage to test for explosives is within the scope of TSA's duties.

Notice that nowhere in the OP was an ETD swab on the bag mentioned, so I suspect that one was not done.

So in response to your post, yes I would be all over the TSA if I found that both of the following were true: someone had threatened an aircraft using an explosive in a bag labeled "Kip Hawley is an Idiot," and instead of doing an ETD test (which actually screens for explosives), they decided to waste time/effort and make a theatrical scene by calling over law-enforcement to lecture the bad guy on his lack of first-amendment rights.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:27 pm

I totally agree

Originally Posted by ColKurtz
I think what you did is ridiculous and stupid. I think detaining you for about 25 minutes is about what you deserve. Maybe a little too short. I would have preferred they annoy you for a good 45 minutes or so - hopefully making you miss your flight.

First, you obviously were looking for a confrontation. Either the screeners will not notice what you wrote, or not care - what's the point in that case -- or they will notice and confront you. And the point of your desired confrontation is... to express your opinion that their boss is an idiot? What does that accomplish? Are you just an attention whore, or do you think you're planting some kind of seed of discontent that will spread and lead to Hawley's resignation.

Second, and more serious, your sophomoric little stunt distracted the people who are responsible for our security. If someone bent on harming travellers was behind you in line that day, their odds of getting through security were probably much higher than normal -- for the simple fact that you were consuming the attention of several security and police officers.

You should be ashamed of yourself. Grow up.
I totally agree, this person was just looking for a confrontation, probably hoping he could get on radio and TV.
The other thing Im curious about after reading these posts, since when did flying become a "right"? If I am not mistaken you pay for the PRIVILEGE of flying. Flying is not covered under the constitution. Once you put down your money and buy the ticket you are subject to whatever rules the airlines/government decide to put in place. If you think having your bag searched or getting a pat down is an invasion of your privacy Im sure Greyhound would love to get your business.
Just my two cents
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
When you say "we", that may include you, but it doesn't necessarily include me. The TSA is not the reading police, or at least it shouldn't be.

Don't you think it's better that the TSA & Co. spend time at work looking for bombs rather than harassing people for having written opinions protected by the Constitution?
So where were the bombs on the 9/11 planes again?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vikala
I totally agree, this person was just looking for a confrontation, probably hoping he could get on radio and TV.
The other thing Im curious about after reading these posts, since when did flying become a "right"? If I am not mistaken you pay for the PRIVILEGE of flying. Flying is not covered under the constitution. Once you put down your money and buy the ticket you are subject to whatever rules the airlines/government decide to put in place. If you think having your bag searched or getting a pat down is an invasion of your privacy Im sure Greyhound would love to get your business.
Just my two cents
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Interesting first post. We've heard over and over again that there's no right to fly. Assuming that's true, what's that got to do with this thread?

A right to fly is not the issue here. The issue is the right to speak. Are you in favor of restricting that right?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:37 pm
Suspended

To jump to that conclusion requires mind-reading. Can you do that? Writing "___ is an idiot" is not necessarily "looking for a confrontation". To claim, as done above, that "this person was just looking for a confrontation" requires mind-reading. It could have been done with no expectation for the sort of confrotation that happened.

Just my two cents
Talk about barking up the wrong tree.

Government employees intimidating the public and harassing individual citizens on the basis of a citizen's written, constitutionally-protected expression of political opinion in the manner that was done at MKE airport is a direct hit on the Bill of Rights to the Constitution of the United States. Even terrorists can't attack America like that.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cme2c
So where were the bombs on the 9/11 planes again?
Answering that question will only take this down a tangent not related to the constitutional freedom of political expression that was violated at MKE airport. Or are you saying the 9/11 terrorists were government employees? 9/11 was neither an attack conducted by government employees nor was 9/11 itself a governmental assault on the First Amendment.

"Attacking" an American citizen for expressing a legally-protected political opinion, as done at MKE airport, was done by some loose-cannon government employees who forget about the Constitution. No surprise.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 27, 2006 at 1:48 pm
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:46 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
This topic is easy for me and I'm correct. That is, most all religious places of worship in the US are not government property; and the owners of the religious places of worship can restrict use of their own property.

I can't go into a church and perform an animal sacrifice anytime I want if the church doesn't want it. Why not? Because the Church can put into play its own property rights and restrict use.
Aren't some airports non-government owned as well?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)

Steve
What a totally implausible scenario.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Just my two cents
Flying commercially may be a priviledge, but that priviledge is to granted by the common carriers doing the flying.

It is not a priviledge to be lorded over passengers by the government.
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:49 pm

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Still waiting for that professionalism, Comrade Daschle. A professional would have simply ignored it. If today's events happened the way the OP said they did, then the OP encountered more thugs than professionals. And that's not the America I helped defend.
You expect professionalism from the GS3 thugs they hire off the streets?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:53 pm

devil's advocate

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Interesting first post. We've heard over and over again that there's no right to fly. Assuming that's true, what's that got to do with this thread?

A right to fly is not the issue here. The issue is the right to speak. Are you in favor of restricting that right?
i gotta chime in here...

hell yeah, i'm all for restricting people's right to speak if they're FLYING IN AN ALUMINUM TUBE FOUR FRIGGIN' MILES UP IN THE AIR with me.

strip search everyone. mabye more people will start taking the train and we could actually have a halfway decent rail system.

i view this along the lines of calling fire in a crowded theatre. what exactly did this prove, again? these folks are going to pull over, question and report anyone acting suspicious or out of the ordinary. i would say writing fairly outrageous thigns about the head of their agency qualifies.

now - if he had written "pomegranite grapefruit nutbar highlighter" on the outside of the bag and STILL been questioned, maybe I'd be more sympathetic.

the other problem is that EVERYONE CARRIES THEIR CRAP ON THE PLANE. unless you were a doctor on your way to an emergency surgery or something, you don't really have any reason to ...... you COULD HAVE CHECKED YOUR LUGGAGE. what - those extra ten or fifteen minutes waiting for your bag was going to kill you? what if they did lose your bag? oh no!! MY TOOTHPASTE IS GONE!!

that's another reason why it takes A FRIGGIN' HOUR TO GET ON ANY PLANE - because no one checks anything any more. jesus. what are you people hauling? gold ingots? check a bag or two. it's not going to kill you.

ok. had to get that out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.