Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Despite TSA's best efforts, prohibited items still get thru the security checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Despite TSA's best efforts, prohibited items still get thru the security checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:01 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
News flash: this is the United States, not Cuba. Not North Korea. Your general attitude is that the TSA is here to stay, stop whining about it. Well, your agency might be able to legally crap all over the 4th Amendment, but we sure as heck are not going to accept you doing similar damage to the 1st Amendment.

I will continue to vocally oppose your agency's actions any time they are done "randomly", "continuously", or without good common sense. If you don't like it, get a thicker skin or a new job, because the stares of contempt, the letters to my representatives and your leaders, and my posts on the board will continue.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@CAE:
tazi....Who the hell am I? I am the guy who is doing a job that you feel is not needed. Just because YOU feel it is not needed is unimportant. Just because YOU fly does not give you any special rights. YOU stand here on your pedestal and cry out about your rights being violated, if you were in some countries, it would not be just your rights being violated. I suspect you are someone who *****es about everything that you feel is an inconvienence to YOU.

[This message has been edited by TSA@CAE (edited 01-15-2003).]
</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:03 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@CAE:
tazi....Who the hell am I? I am the guy who is doing a job that you feel is not needed. Just because YOU feel it is not needed is unimportant. Just because YOU fly does not give you any special rights. YOU stand here on your pedestal and cry out about your rights being violated, if you were in some countries, it would not be just your rights being violated. I suspect you are someone who *****es about everything that you feel is an inconvienence to YOU. </font>
Get your facts straight. You'll not find where I have 'cried' about having my rights violated. And regardless of whether you are just doing your job, we are free to discuss these issues however we see fit as long as we don't personally attack other members here. If these rules are too difficult for you to adhere to, then I have serious doubts that you should be holding any position that gives you authority over another individual including being a screener.

Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I have to say that this conversation is no longer making any relevant points, and has degenerated into a name calling contest.

Unless someone has some new point of information to make, I suggest we let it end here.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mwp2paris:

Originally posted by TSA@CAE:
tazi....Who the hell am I? I am the guy harassing you you dolt.

Well, this reinforces everything I feel about this civil service boondoggle.

You are winning no points for your organization, dude.

</font>
Is this the original reply before it was edited???

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-15-2003).]
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
I have to say that this conversation is no longer making any relevant points, and has degenerated into a name calling contest.

Unless someone has some new point of information to make, I suggest we let it end here.
</font>
No contest as the name calling exists on only one side.

Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Um, whatever. Let's end this conversation, until anyone has something productive to say.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
OK, I give up. Self-imposed time-out for me on this thread.

Bruce
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:28 am

spiff....if putting your carry-on bags through an x-ray machine and walking through a walk-through metal detector is harassment, then I suggest you look at how they do things in Cuba or North Korea. Oh, I forgot, people don't fly from those places, they row or run. Sure, you have every right to speak whatever you like, I defended your right to do so for 20+ years. However, I have every right to disagree with you if I so choose. One thing you might or might not know, it is not the TSA that selects people for further screening...it is the AIRLINES that do that. They direct us to conduct further screening. If you have a problem with that, then direct it to the proper people, we have no control over it. Not only do we answer to them in those matters, we also answer to the stakeholders in the airport itself, in my area, that is a county and two city administrations since we are a metroploitan airport authority.

Waving the bill of rights around like a flag is kinda silly since we all have the same rights....
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:34 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Actually, JS, they found seven items in December, not over 15 months. My bad - I posted the wrong version of the article. Here's a link to the non-ambiguous Gate Grope Prohibited Items:

http://www.lsj.com/news/local/030108..._security.html

And my point is this: If seven items are missed at the main checkpoint and found at the gate, and let's say only 5% are Gate-Groped, doesn't that mean we might reasonably conclude that maybe 140 items are missed at the main checkpoint each month? And only seven are found? That leaves maybe 133 prohibited items each month, or is my math bad?? Just at Lansing.
</font>
Actually, a little worse than that. I'm getting p = 0.72, or 28% failure rate (previous studies had indicated similar failure rates).

514 found at the main checkpoint ==&gt; 514/0.72 = 714 items approached the main checkpoint.

Of the 714, 514 were taken, leaving 200 items to approach the gate. 5% of them, or 10 items (5% is just my assumption) are subject to gate screening. 10*0.72 is the 7 items actually found.

That leaves 193 items completely missed! Yet of those 193, zero were used to take over an aircraft...

[This message has been edited by JS (edited 01-15-2003).]
Old Jan 15, 2003, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:

That leaves 193 items completely missed! Yet of those 193, zero were used to take over an aircraft...
</font>
My point exactly. Close to 200 sharp and pointy prohibited items missed during December (Just at Lansing) yet none were used in an evil manner.

TSA employees - I know you're powerless to change the idiocy of your primary mission - because these policies were the result of your small-minded bosses, but this ludicrous waste of money boggles the mind.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:04 am

Location: Currently a man without a country; American Airlines-3MM, Executive Platinum; US Airways-Doesn't Matter AAnymore; Hilton-Diamond; Starwood-Platinum; Hyatt-Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Is this the original reply before it was edited???

[This message has been edited by tazi (edited 01-15-2003).]
</font>
Why yes it was...talk about good timing on my part...by the time I finished my short reply, the message had already been "spun"!

Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mwp2paris:
Why yes it was...talk about good timing on my part...by the time I finished my short reply, the message had already been "spun"!

</font>
Wonderful people we have working for the TSA, eh? I never called anyone names and that is the response I got. Good to know what type of person we are dealing with here. I actually had a better opinion of TSA screeners before they came here.
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:17 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
The truth of it is that many of us don't care if you miss knives. So please stop randomly searching passengers in the hopes of finding one that the x-ray/magnetometer missed and for the love of God stop evacuating concourses if you think you did. It's a knife, not a bomb. There's a certain amount of risk associated w/flying. Miss a knife or a few knives? We don't care. Expend your efforts and our tax dollars looking for real, credible threats.

</font>

Many of you may not care but many of us do.

Nigel

Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tmspa:
Who's to say that a large knife is any more dangerous than a small knife. And some of these "household" items that you speak of could cause some serious damage. I worked in a state prison for 2 years and I've seen some "harmless" things used as a weapon. One of the most wicked was a rolled up newspaper soaked and water and dried to a concrete-like consistancy. Or may I submit, a sharpened toothbrush?</font>

Reminds me of the " Millwall " brick with soccer supporters used to use in fights . A newspaper folded in a certain way that made a very effective weapon.

Nigel
Old Jan 15, 2003, 9:23 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by beergut:

Many of you may not care but many of us do.

Nigel

</font>
I'm not too concerned about a knife getting through security. I think the chance of one being used to hijack and aircraft is about .000001%. I also don't see someone coming on the plane with the intent of slicing up a few passengers. People didn't do it before 9-11 and I don't see it as a real threat now.

Some of this really needs to be put in perspective. While so much time and effort is being put into searching for knives and such, very little seems to have been done other areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.