Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Despite TSA's best efforts, prohibited items still get thru the security checkpoints

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Despite TSA's best efforts, prohibited items still get thru the security checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Whether I do or not, do the economics of murder not apply? Regardless of whether I have kids, is it not the case that one can recognize the fact that millions of dollars are being wasted trying to prevent a single murder in a small space while the rest of the planet receives a grossly disproportionate amount of protection?

Procreation is not a prerequisite for understanding probability theory.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSACAE:
My guess is that you do not have kids. </font>
------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:16 pm

And no, I've not had anything stolen from me at the checkpoints. I know how to pack.

Well then spiff...just WHAT is your complaint? What we do IS constitutional. Implied consent is just that, consent. If you don't want your things searched. Take the bus or train. Easy solution huh?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:17 pm

Tazi, first off, hi! How's it going?

Second, your incident was clearly a case of the x-ray operator not doing his job properly and having nothing to do with someone doing random searches or not. The x-ray operator should have not let that bag out without first knowing that someone else would have control over it.

[This message has been edited by tmspa (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:18 pm

Did I say it was illegal? No.

I think it's sick and disgusting and flies in the face of the principles upon which this country was founded. But I did not say it was illegal. Hey, until recently cockfighting was legal in Oklahoma. It must be ok because it's legal, right?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@CAE:
And no, I've not had anything stolen from me at the checkpoints. I know how to pack.

Well then spiff...just WHAT is your complaint? What we do IS constitutional. Implied consent is just that, consent. If you don't want your things searched. Take the bus or train. Easy solution huh?
</font>
------------------

Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:22 pm

principles upon which this country was founded

Slavery was popular then too. Things change and we must change with them.

"We hang together for we will certainly hang seperately."
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tmspa:
Tazi, first off, hi! How's it going?

Second, your incident was clearly a case of the x-ray operator not doing his job properly and having nothing to do with someone doing random searches or not. The x-ray operator should have not let that bag out with first knowing that someone else would have control over it.
</font>
HI tmpsa, things are going well thank you
I agree completely that the x-ray operator screwed up but it is obviously not an isolated incident. Several of the recent evacuations we have heard about in the news have been because something the screener saw managed to 'get away'. I wondered how that could happen until I experienced it myself. The fact of the matter was, the wand guy was busy doing something else and didn't pick up my bag.

I have to agree with Spiff on the unwarranted searches. If you don't buzz and nothing suspicious shows up in the machine then it is highly unlikely, and not worth the effort and inconvenience to search someone again.

Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:26 pm

Did I say it was illegal? No.

Did I say illegal? No. I said it was constitutional, well within the realm of constitutionality. The Constitution is one stretched document...so many groups tugging at it to justify their position. It has become a cliche.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:29 pm

I have to agree with Spiff on the unwarranted searches. If you don't buzz and nothing suspicious shows up in the machine then it is highly unlikely, and not worth the effort and inconvenience to search someone again.

True, but sometimes the AIRLINES choose individuals to be selected for further screening. We have no control over that and must comply. They use a computer system to randomly choose. So if you are chosen, you get the full screening. That is coming from the AIRLINES, not us.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:30 pm

Popular, but not right. Just like your agency is currently. It took the 13th Amendment to abolish slavery, but your agency definitely flouts the spirit of the 4th Amendment. Hopefully it will not take another Amendment to put a stop to your agency's actions.

Very ironic you use that quote. It's paraphrased from Ben Franklin. "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." Your agency pulls this country in a most unwelcome direction. I will continue to oppose this shift towards an authoritarian government and society.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TSA@CAE:
principles upon which this country was founded

Slavery was popular then too. Things change and we must change with them.

"We hang together for we will certainly hang seperately."
</font>
------------------

Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FWAAA....Well, since you mentioned the LAW. Carrying pointy things such as pocket knives in carry-on bags is against the LAW. Made so by inclusion on the prohibited item list.</font>
I respectfully disagree. I've looked thru the US Code and I can't find the part that criminalizes the carrying of a small pocketknife aboard an aircraft. I realize that you're only repeating what you've been told by your boss - but you've been told wrong.

49 USC 46505 proscribes carrying a concealed dangerous weapon on board an aircraft. No authority exists to allow the TSA to alter the definition of a concealed dangerous weapon. The ban on, and confiscation of (since abandoned) of corkscrews, cigar cutters, blunt scissors, knitting needles, crochet hooks, etc. was clearly unlawful. The Aviation and Transportation Security Act did not permit the Secretary to criminalize the carrying of non-weapons.

Disagreement should be accompanied by a citation to the particular section. Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by FWAAA (edited 01-14-2003).]
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:36 pm

I disagree. Read Section on what happens to prohibited items.

http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?content=15
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tmspa:
I disagree. Read Section on what happens to prohibited items.

http://www.tsa.dot.gov/public/display?content=15
</font>
The TSA website is not the United States Code.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:46 pm

The TSA website is not the United States Code.

No, but it is legal for us to prohibit such items from being taken on an aircraft, and that is backed by the supreme court, the attorney general, and congress. Again I say...if it bothers you so much, take a bus or train.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:48 pm

Where in this section does is say that a knife is "not" a dangerous weapon? See below:

Sec. 46505. - Carrying a weapon or explosive on an aircraft

(a) Definition. -

In this section, ''loaded firearm'' means a starter gun or a weapon designed or converted to expel a projectile through an explosive, that has a cartridge, a detonator, or powder in the chamber, magazine, cylinder, or clip.

(b) General Criminal Penalty. -

An individual shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both, if the individual -

(1)

when on, or attempting to get on, an aircraft in, or intended for operation in, air transportation or intrastate air transportation, has on or about the individual or the property of the individual a concealed dangerous weapon that is or would be accessible to the individual in flight;

(2)

has placed, attempted to place, or attempted to have placed a loaded firearm on that aircraft in property not accessible to passengers in flight; or

(3)

has on or about the individual, or has placed, attempted to place, or attempted to have placed on that aircraft, an explosive or incendiary device.

Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:49 pm

Sorry, we didn't let the foreign terrorists keep us from flying. We certainly are not going to let your agency do so either. Nor are we going to accept the way your agency chooses to conduct its business.

Again I say...if it bothers you so much, take a bus or train.</font>

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.