State of TSA-PRE

Old Jun 19, 22, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
State of TSA-PRE

I would like to have made this non-airline specific, but since it relates to AA travel, It's landed here: So, what is the point of TSA-PRE?

On a recent AA BWI-DEN-BWI trip, at BWI all TSA-PRE lanes were closed (about 5am Sunday), then on the DEN-BWI return the TSA-PRE closes at 8pm. A non-scientific count of those being handed yellow cards to 'Expediate' the process was about 1 in 3 at the DEN security - and then all it meant was that you didn't have to remove your shoes, and you got to go through the metal detector. All in all, it was no quicker than anyone else (since you had to wait for your bags being held up by all the other pax) - taking about 40 minutes. Fundamentally, this is a long way from the advertised TSA-PRE benefits, and what folks pay for.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:12 pm

I do agree it is a bit annoying when traveling outside of TSA-Pre hours, but those are low volume times when they don't have the staffing for it, and that makes sense. Still, not having to remove items from your bag, or remove your shoes or other clothing and not going through the full body scanner (which I always opt-out anyway) is still a good benefit.
onanisland, Daze, Spanish and 5 others like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:25 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by CKBA View Post
All in all, it was no quicker than anyone else (since you had to wait for your bags being held up by all the other pax) - taking about 40 minutes.
Agree. In PHL, I sometimes prefer walking two terminals across to Pre for this reason. I hate the wait.
MASTERNC, lowfareair and WVmike like this.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by mxracer95 View Post
I do agree it is a bit annoying when traveling outside of TSA-Pre hours, but those are low volume times when they don't have the staffing for it, and that makes sense. Still, not having to remove items from your bag, or remove your shoes or other clothing and not going through the full body scanner (which I always opt-out anyway) is still a good benefit.
To quote myself from another thread:
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
Interesting -- my understanding was that in those combined lines, you typically get "PreCheck-light", which applies to your person (i.e., you go through the metal detector rather than the full body scanner, and keep on your shoes, jacket, etc.) but not to your bags (i.e., you still have to take out your laptop). This is because the laminated paper stays with you and you give it to the metal detector agent, but they don't have a way to associate PreCheck with your bag as it goes through the X-ray along with non-PreCheck bags.
Old Jun 19, 22, 11:41 pm

IMO combining the lines defeats the purpose. The reason that precheck is faster is not usually because you keep your shoes on, it's because people with precheck tend to be frequent travelers and the line moves faster.

Every time I'm stuck in the regular line, it always seems to be behind some people who have apparently been living under a rock for the last couple of decades and think it's ok to have a water bottle in their comically oversized bag, which holds up the line.
Old Jun 20, 22, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead View Post
To quote myself from another thread:
Interesting -- my understanding was that in those combined lines, you typically get "PreCheck-light", which applies to your person (i.e., you go through the metal detector rather than the full body scanner, and keep on your shoes, jacket, etc.) but not to your bags (i.e., you still have to take out your laptop). This is because the laminated paper stays with you and you give it to the metal detector agent, but they don't have a way to associate PreCheck with your bag as it goes through the X-ray along with non-PreCheck bags.
I haven't traveled outside of TSA-Pre hours in a while so my memory may be a bit off. I have experienced what you mention, but I have also experienced not having to remove laptops/tablets. I may have had to place something in the bin with my bag that alerted the screener that bag was Pre.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Every time I'm stuck in the regular line, it always seems to be behind some people who have apparently been living under a rock for the last couple of decades and think it's ok to have a water bottle in their comically oversized bag, which holds up the line.
Sadly, I run into this in the PreCheck line all the time and it's extremely frustrating since I'm usually arriving at security when my flight is already boarding. I assume it's people that were given random complimentary PreCheck access. Do you do the polite thing and wait behind them or do you be the experienced traveler and go ahead of them?
WVmike likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 3:54 am

What I often see are actual airline employees cutting the line. They should have a separate line for just the employees.
Old Jun 20, 22, 4:39 am

Programs: AA PlatPro, Admirals Club
I fly out of STT every 4-6 weeks. This wouldn’t be feasible without TSA Pre. STT is a ishshow on the regular. It saves me at least an hour most times.
Old Jun 20, 22, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by milkcrate View Post
What I often see are actual airline employees cutting the line. They should have a separate line for just the employees.
Aircrew gets priority. In some midwest airports that I frequent, there is only one line for security. I could care less that aircrew is prioritized as I almost never cut it so close that a couple of aircrew in front of me would make a difference in getting to the gate in a timely manner.

Originally Posted by mxracer95 View Post
I haven't traveled outside of TSA-Pre hours in a while so my memory may be a bit off. I have experienced what you mention, but I have also experienced not having to remove laptops/tablets. I may have had to place something in the bin with my bag that alerted the screener that bag was Pre.

Sadly, I run into this in the PreCheck line all the time and it's extremely frustrating since I'm usually arriving at security when my flight is already boarding. I assume it's people that were given random complimentary PreCheck access. Do you do the polite thing and wait behind them or do you be the experienced traveler and go ahead of them?
I have a tremendous amount of patience for the not so frequent flyers when I have to share a line. I occasionally have the impression that so many frequent flyers have an air of arrogance that makes them better than the not so frequent flyers. (Maybe fly private?) (I do not go ahead of those having difficulties unless there is a clear space to do so.)
AB Dada, hotturnip and cssmd27 like this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 5:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage
My frustration are airports where there's no one checking BPs for the TSA line. Accordingly you get morons that have shown up at the airport at T-45, see the very long normal line and get in the TSA lane only to be turned down, often with an argument that they will miss their flight, by a TSA checker. Thus slowing down the process.
BWISkyGuy likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
As someone who has an issue with my feet, while I get frustrated having to wait in a longer line if Pre- is closed, if nothing else, I'm still very grateful to not have to take off my shoes.
WVmike likes this.
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by CKBA View Post
I would like to have made this non-airline specific, but since it relates to AA travel, It's landed here: So, what is the point of TSA-PRE?
While I realise it's 'related' to AA travel, PreCheck isn't an AA programme or specific to AA at all. As such, this thread is being moved to a more appropriate forum, and may be further merged from there.

~Microwave
AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Jun 20, 22, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by lamphs View Post
Aircrew gets priority. In some midwest airports that I frequent, there is only one line for security. I could care less that aircrew is prioritized as I almost never cut it so close that a couple of aircrew in front of me would make a difference in getting to the gate in a timely manner.

I have a tremendous amount of patience for the not so frequent flyers when I have to share a line. I occasionally have the impression that so many frequent flyers have an air of arrogance that makes them better than the not so frequent flyers. (Maybe fly private?) (I do not go ahead of those having difficulties unless there is a clear space to do so.)
The air of arrogance you talk about isn't much us having any arrogance. It's much more frustration. As frequent fliers we know what TSA is, what we have to do and how to make it go quickly. The frustrating part is the people who seemingly are ignorant enough to think they can bring scissors and a can of coke through. So it's not the arrogance, it's the frustration that we're doing the right thing why can't everyone else? It's not that we're better then less frequent fliers were just prepared and the people who aren't slow everything down
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:08 am

Programs: 10 year UAL GS, LT Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum, AA Exec Plat
If the belt is empty and a person is fumbling around getting his/her things situated, I just drop my stuff on the belt ahead of them and move on. It's the best thing to do for everyone in line. I am not rude about it and only do it when it is clear the other person needs more time.
Old Jun 20, 22, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
For every time I have encountered a TSA pre line that is closed or as long as the regular line, there are 10 times where the line is open and it is a clear advantage. I have used it since the very early days where it was only at a one DFW terminal and was by invitation only to high level AA elites.

To me, the worst period was when they were giving it to random pax, usually elderly, on a one time basis. They had no clue what they were getting, had to have it all explained, and gummed up the works as they took off their shoes and then had to put them back on again.

Search this Thread