Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
  • Existing NY GE members are not affected until the expiration of their current membership (renewals are blocked)
  • Rule applies to:
    • Vehicle exports
    • Applications and renewals for GE, NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST
  • Separate precheck memberships (not connected to GE, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) are not affected
  • Fees will be refunded, according to CFB officer.
  • Letter from DHS website
  • DHS statement Feb. 6
  • The following is from this article: https://www.foxnews.com/politics/glo...s-affected-ttp
    • 86,000 people will be "affected immediately...including those with pending applications and those up for renewal"
    • 800,000 people could be affected over five years
    • "[T]hose people no longer eligible for TTP who had pending applications will receive refunds"
  • Statements from the NY Attorney General

Print Wikipost

[Updated] Global Entry, Trusted Traveler Programs Reinstated for NY Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:00 am

So if a state somehow manages to bar the federal government from obtaining information of individuals residing in that state, and the federal government is now unable to process individuals from which it requires same information, that’s the fault of the federal government? I suppose they could come up with some other way of obtaining that information.

This doesnt really affect me since I already have Global Entry and got it inly because my credit card paid the fee but dont really forsee myself renewing it when it expires since i dont have much more than an occasional leisure international trip and i dont plan on living in NY for much longer anyway.

<redacted by moderator>.
joe_miami and Jeremy3292 like this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 6, 2020 at 9:02 am Reason: Political commentary belongs in OMNI/PR (access is limited to members who've been on FT for 180 days & posted 180 messages)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shipcamein
I haven't read every post - don't flame me too bad if this came up - but I drive to Canada frequently, and they certainly DO have access to your (USA) driving information in real time. I know this because of the number of times a passenger in the car with me was asked about various offenses, DUI, etc. (Not the same passenger.) They have real-time access to your CC Permit too, if that matters to you. And purchase histories of certain items. And much more. Their country, their rules.

Pending DUI's are enough to exclude you from Global Entry, and I don't know if "pending" cases are in any criminal database yet. That's just one example. One is adequate.

Interestingly, you cannot fly without your REAL ID - which you cannot get without proof of status. So none of the folks taking advantage of this New York law will suffer. The other 95% will, though. No other way to frame it.
Excellent post.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Meola10
So if a state somehow manages to bar the federal government from obtaining information of individuals residing in that state, and the federal government is now unable to process individuals from which it requires same information, that’s the fault of the federal government?
Bingo
joe_miami likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:04 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Meola10
So if a state somehow manages to bar the federal government from obtaining information of individuals residing in that state
The Federal Government isn't barred from obtaining information of individuals from NY.

and the federal government is now unable to process individuals from which it requires same information, that’s the fault of the federal government? I suppose they could come up with some other way of obtaining that information.
The Federal Government is able to process information, and has access to all the information they need. In fact, the Department of State (part of the Federal Government) has almost all of the needed information on file. The remainder is almost entirely publicly available, and many affected individuals do not have either a vehicle or driver's license.

I'm not going to address your incorrect political assertions, but the points you have made regarding checkpoint and border security are demonstrably false.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The Federal Government isn't barred from obtaining information of individuals from NY.

The Federal Government is able to process information, and has access to all the information they need. In fact, the Department of State (part of the Federal Government) has almost all of the needed information on file. The remainder is almost entirely publicly available, and many affected individuals do not have either a vehicle or driver's license.

I'm not going to address your incorrect political assertions, but the points you have made regarding checkpoint and border security are demonstrably false.
Are you claiming the feds do, in fact, continue to have access to NYS DMV records, including automobile ownership/registration?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Are you claiming the feds do, in fact, continue to have access to NYS DMV records, including automobile ownership/registration?

Yes. I have seen nothing to indicate that the law in question prohibits the US Attorney's Offices, the Departments of State, Defense, Justice, Treasury, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, HHS, Transportation, HUD, Energy, Education, Veterans Affairs, the intelligence community, and independent and quasi-independent agencies from accessing NYS DMV records.

The law includes a specific ban on the small part of the government that "primarily enforces immigration law". The vast majority of the feds retain access, including State who already has most of the information DHS claims they need from the DMV. The SSA, for example, hasn't lost the ability to check DMV records for car ownership when determining social security disability insurance eligibility.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by richarddd
The letter ends with the statement that they will continue to review the situation and decide what to do. I find it hard to predict what they will do next, with or without good reason.
What I meant was that you've already been vetted, and the current NY law doesn't affect that vetting.

If I had to "predict what they will do next," NY will somehow allow exceptions for DHS with the consent of the applicant. Also, it sounds like other TT programs are more hindered by the law than GE.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:15 am

Literally direct quote from the article - "Since the law "prevents DHS from accessing New York DMV records in order to determine whether a (Trusted Traveler Program) applicant or re-applicant meets program eligibility requirements, New York residents will no longer be eligible to enroll or re-enroll in CBP's Trusted Travel Programs"

A drivers license is ONE ELIGIBLE DOCUMENT utilized by the DHS to determine eligibility for the the GE program. If someone has said drivers license and uses it during the application process as an acceptable form of identification or proof of "domicile" AND the DHS cannot access the NY DMV database to further determine said person's eligibility for the program, how can they do their job and process the application? The GE program is not a right; it is a potential benefit given to certain people who meet ALL program requirements.

Is there potentially other ways for the DHS to access this information? Maybe. But you can't make different rules for different states and different ways to process applications. The state of NY has denied the DHS this ability to do their jobs. No other state has done this and the DHS has not tried to revoke GE access to other states.

<redacted by moderator>
awayIgo likes this.

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 6, 2020 at 9:32 am Reason: Comment on moderation
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:17 am
Suspended

Yes. I have seen nothing to indicate that the law in question prohibits the US Attorney's Offices, the Departments of State, Defense, Justice, Treasury, Interior, Agriculture, Commerce, Labor, HHS, Transportation, HUD, Energy, Education, Veterans Affairs, the intelligence community, and independent and quasi-independent agencies from accessing NYS DMV records.

The law includes a specific ban on the small part of the government that "primarily enforces immigration law". The vast majority of the feds retain access, including State who already has most of the information DHS claims they need from the DMV. The SSA, for example, hasn't lost the ability to check DMV records for car ownership when determining social security disability insurance eligibility.
If this is true, it seems like New York officials would have been quoted saying so within minutes last night.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:18 am

Does anyone know if they are refunding fees? I know of someone who got an email today saying her application was cancelled and she had set up an interview for tomorrow.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:19 am

I wonder what would happen if someone disputed the credit card charge.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:19 am

If this is true, it seems like New York officials would have been quoted saying so within minutes last night.
Try reading the law: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation...47/amendment/b.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deafchick
Does anyone know if they are refunding fees? I know of someone who got an email today saying her application was cancelled and she had set up an interview for tomorrow.
I’m sure they’re going to refund fees.

A DHS official told bald-faced lies on national TV but no New York officials have come out to correct the record some 16 hours later?

Last edited by TWA884; Feb 6, 2020 at 9:35 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function. Thank you.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:22 am

Except the "federal government" isn't just one big group of people who huddle in the same building every day lol. The DHS is solely responsible for processing GE/TTP applications. It's literally theirs and only theirs. They can't phone one of the departments you mentioned above every single time a NY application comes in and say "Hey *insert federal branch here*, can you pull the NY DMV records for Joe Smith?"
jmrp and joe_miami like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:24 am

A DHS official told bald-faced lies on national TV but no New York officials have come out to correct the record some 16 hours later?
What record needs to be corrected? The plain language of the law is clear. DHS cannot access DMV records, the rest of the federal government can. The Department of Homeland Security does not comprise the entire Federal Government, to say that the Feds can no longer get DMV records is a bald-faced lie.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.