Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another woman sexually assaulted for wearing a sanitary pad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another woman sexually assaulted for wearing a sanitary pad

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
What's the protocol if you're in a similar situation?

I've yet to have a bad TSA experience, so it's long overdue. Can you insist any of these intimate searches are done in public, so as to make sure people can see exactly what they're doing and hopefully cause the TSA to tone down their poking?

Can they force a private room even if you decline?

If forced with 'we're strip searching you or you can't get on your flight', is that it? Any recourse? Or are those the only two options?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I believe that if TSA can't resolve something to the TSO's satisfaction, they can insist on the private room. They do make people take clothing off. They pretend that telling someone to drop her pants, unbutton and open her shirt, and remove a wet adult diaper for a separate xray isn't actually a 'strip search'. You be the judge, but if they decide they're going to force you to expose yourself, you will not be given the option of doing it in public.

Personally, I would much rather drop my trousers right there at the checkpoint for everyone to see. It should not be TSA's decision. They will say that other travelers might be offended, but other travelers, including toddlers, witnessed a TSO kneeling with his face inches from a young boy's crotch while he stroked and nudged the boy's genitals repeatedly. I think that's a lot more offensive than a bit of skin.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Skatering
What's the protocol if you're in a similar situation?

I've yet to have a bad TSA experience, so it's long overdue. Can you insist any of these intimate searches are done in public, so as to make sure people can see exactly what they're doing and hopefully cause the TSA to tone down their poking?

Can they force a private room even if you decline?

If forced with 'we're strip searching you or you can't get on your flight', is that it? Any recourse? Or are those the only two options?
AFAIK, the victims of the sexual assaults are asked if they want to be assaulted in public or private. I've read of only 1 person being forced into a private room recently. This one said one of the machines "saw" the rods in her back and she was forced into a private room to lift up her shirt so the screeners could see her scars. She said they wanted her to drop her pants also but she refused to do so. In addition to this, she was sexually assaulted.

Then there was this just this morning:

Just watched @TSA molest a 70 year old woman, grabbing her crotch repeatedly until she admitted she was wearing a diaper in public. 'Murica!
Don't refuse a grope but do refuse to go to a private room to be groped. Be prepared for a fight. TSA called the police on the woman who was the subject of this thread.

Also, be aware that TSA screeners refuse to use the word "genitals" when describing the scope of the search; they use the term "groin" instead. The genitals and the groin are two different areas of the body. Tell them they must properly describe the search and tell you they will be probing your genitals or you have not given a consent for said search.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.