Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Another woman sexually assaulted for wearing a sanitary pad

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

http://www.kiro7.com/news/trending-n...nner/541887181

"The ladies were like, ‘We're going to have to search your vaginal area and buttocks,’ and I'm like, ‘That makes no sense to me. You can clearly tell that that's a feminine product.’"
Dollars to donuts the TSA screeners NEVER said they were going to search her "vaginal area".
Old Jun 26, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
It is more tantalizing to tell the story that way....

safe travels..
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the link above:

Background provided by TSA:

"The advanced imaging technology scanner at the checkpoint helps TSA identify concealed metallic and nonmetallic items between the skin and clothing using millimeter-wave technology. So if an individual were to try to conceal something in the area of the groin, the machine would detect it. It is not out of the question that the machine could detect something placed inside an individual's underwear."

TSA just doesn't see the problem with a punitive search. This level of search is consistent with being a prisoner.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
From the link above:

Background provided by TSA:

"The advanced imaging technology scanner at the checkpoint helps TSA identify concealed metallic and nonmetallic items between the skin and clothing using millimeter-wave technology. So if an individual were to try to conceal something in the area of the groin, the machine would detect it. It is not out of the question that the machine could detect something placed inside an individual's underwear."

TSA just doesn't see the problem with a punitive search. This level of search is consistent with being a prisoner.
Note they used the word "groin" in the "background statement", not "genitals".
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Note they used the word "groin" in the "background statement", not "genitals".
Yes, another display of TSA's honesty.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by bo1953
It is more tantalizing to tell the story that way....

safe travels..
I think 'vaginal area' is much less tantalizing than 'resistance'. It's so clinical and specific, nothing provocative or sexy about it.

'resistance' - that can mean a lot of things. To a screener, it means until s/he feels the pax start squirming in discomfort or flinching in outright pain. It may come in verbal from - from pleas to threats to impotent fury.

I think 'resistance' is much more tantalizing. No two people have the same points of resistance. So exciting for a TSO to find out where people's boundaries are - and then cross them.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:26 am

This event centers around a common circumstance occurring to HALF the traveling population.

The TSA has had SEVEN years to figure this out and get it right. It is
UNCONSCIONABLE that this kind of embarrassment is still taking place.

How stupid can you get? This is a failure starting from the head of the TSA and continuing on down the ranks to the clerk at the checkpoint.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"We take reports of alleged impropriety very seriously and regret any distress the security screening process may have caused the passenger. TSA conducted a thorough review of the passenger's screening and concluded that all security protocols were followed as our officers worked to resolve an alarm. TSA officers must work to resolve all alarms at the checkpoint to ensure everyone arrives safely at their destination. However, incidents such as the one described are extremely rare and women should not be concerned about going through the security checkpoint."
Why are we so willing to accept the explanation that "all security protocols were followed"? It's long-since overdue where We, the People, needed to stand up to the government and say: "Your "security protocols" aren't acceptable. Change them before we change them for you."

Sorry, TSA. I, for one, do not find your "security protocols" to be acceptable. In the words of a famous actor and a former president: "Go ahead. Make my day."
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Why are we so willing to accept the explanation that "all security protocols were followed"? It's long-since overdue where We, the People, needed to stand up to the government and say: "Your "security protocols" aren't acceptable. Change them before we change them for you."

Sorry, TSA. I, for one, do not find your "security protocols" to be acceptable. In the words of a famous actor and a former president: "Go ahead. Make my day."
However, we don't even know what those security protocols are because TSA hides them from us. When it comes to full body searches, we must demand that the TSA make public the scope of those searches and use the proper anatomical words to describe where we are going to be searched. "Groin" doesn't work when hands are probing one's genitals.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At some point travelers are going to have to push these screenings abusives to the courts. No settlement, no compromise, nothing but a legal ruling. That may not work out in favor of passengers but without taking the trip no one will every get to the end of the road.

There will be personal risk, expense, and all the other issues when fighting government but it has to be done. Hopefully some advocate groups will stand with the abused traveler.

I'm really disappointed that these groups aren't doing a better job defending the public's right to travel without having their genitals fondled by TSA.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
At some point travelers are going to have to push these screenings abusives to the courts. No settlement, no compromise, nothing but a legal ruling. That may not work out in favor of passengers but without taking the trip no one will every get to the end of the road.

There will be personal risk, expense, and all the other issues when fighting government but it has to be done. Hopefully some advocate groups will stand with the abused traveler.

I'm really disappointed that these groups aren't doing a better job defending the public's right to travel without having their genitals fondled by TSA.
RAINN doesn't seem to want to get involved at all to try to stop TSA's abuse. Here's their "advise" for sexual assault survivors to get through a TSA "pat down": https://www.rainn.org/articles/airpo...rity-survivors

I believe at one time I read a suggestion from them to "go to your happy place during the screening process" or words to that effect. Balderdash.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Look, in the past few months we've had video of a 12-year-old girl getting a sexual grope to punish her for leaving a juice box in her bag. We've seen a screener with his nose inches away from a 12-year-old boy's genitals while he rubbed and nudged and stroked them repeatedly. It was done to punish the boy (t-shirt and thin shorts) for leaving his tablet in his bag.

That's two instances of underage kids being deliberately - not randomly, deliberately, just like in DEN - singled out for a prolonged (2 full minutes in the case of the boy) intimate fondling.

All according to protocol. I suspect if the pervert screener had reached up at the end and grasped the boy's penis, TSA would still insist that the screener was just having his final say.

I suspect by the end of the year TSA will also admit what we've known all along: yes, they take people in back rooms, strip them, and lie about it.

To all you 'good apple TSOs': when I approach the checkpoint, the face I see is the face of the pervert inches away from a 12-year-old boy's crotch as he repeatedly rubs and fondles the boy. I see the face of a grinning idiot holding up an expensive lobster without caring if he caused damage or not because my luggage is his plaything.

Last edited by chollie; Jun 28, 2017 at 1:40 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
RAINN doesn't seem to want to get involved at all to try to stop TSA's abuse. Here's their "advise" for sexual assault survivors to get through a TSA "pat down": https://www.rainn.org/articles/airpo...rity-survivors

I believe at one time I read a suggestion from them to "go to your happy place during the screening process" or words to that effect. Balderdash.
So RAINN suggests to just sit back and enjoy it.

I would suggest to never support groups who won't step up and fight the hard battles.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
OK, so you accept the scanner and then have to be patted down anyway? Not cool!

But it sounds from the link in OP like the pat down was standard? Why the private room? Her choice? TAS choice?

As a single traveller, the private room would scare me...
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanishFlyer
OK, so you accept the scanner and then have to be patted down anyway? Not cool!

But it sounds from the link in OP like the pat down was standard? Why the private room? Her choice? TAS choice?

As a single traveller, the private room would scare me...
Her only two choices if she wanted to board the plane were to be sexually assaulted in public or in private. She chose private. Of course, she has now been traumatized; this experience will never leave her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.