Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Reality may be that electronics you want to take have to go through a similar check you do on a secondary. Prove they function and explosive trace detection (ETD) as is done to today only for secondary. Rolling that to all electronics would greatly slow down screening but the alternative of "no electronics" is likely a no starter for anything but an immediate ban period to get time to roll in more equipment for ETD testing
I already have all my electronics swabbed 50% of the time or 90% when it involves TSA. I suspect you'll see similar numbers from anyone travelling with signicant camera equipment.

It normally takes a couple of minutes. And I know what I'm doing, expand this to cover every traveller and every device and security lines will literally take hours. I mean, it would decrease unemployment at least.

Note: A friend recently had his laptop tagged as positive at FRA and let's just say it was not a good experience. Obviously, it wasn't actually a bomb... and he eventually got through, but Ion scanners are not known for their accuracy as it is.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
What is in that swab?

Does it leave a residue? Can it tarnish lenses?
Old May 15, 2017, 12:32 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by wco81
What is in that swab?

Not sure what's in it.

Only seen security in Europe and US swab the exterior of my lenses, never the glass.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:42 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
What is in that swab?

TSA before I got TSA Pre or Global Entry I'd get a swabbed once in a blue moon, but in the Far East they swab your luggage, backpack when you enter the checkin hall everyone and everytime ( first line of defense ).

I rarely travel with my DSLR or lense these days, iPhone good enough mostly but when I did travel and shoot my competitive kids, never once did they do more than open up my camera backpack, but times have changed.

My take they are looking to pick up residue of explosives or other illegal stuff, but I'd be hard pressed to believe they have any additional chemical agents to aid the collection, do they?
Old May 15, 2017, 12:47 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
If there's a case to be made for these draconian measures, they sure aren't making it to the public.

We're suppose to trust that the threat is non-significant, compared to other risks like lithium battery fires.
Hypothesis 1: People are smuggling bomb material in the lithium batteries. Sorry put them in the hold won't prevent a remote trigger or timer that is hiding in the laptop. Already proven people are willing to go down with the airplane. A bomb / fire in the passenger cabin versus the hold are equally a problem, actually in the hold even bigger problem given not many eyes down there and people are pretty sensitive fire detectors if they aren't all asleep.

Hypothesis 2: Now are looking to cobble together multiple batteries to start a fire to bring down the plane. Sorry, enough people carry one or two large phones and multiple packs, easy enough to get enough committed fellows to bring on enough lithium versus cobble together a few laptop batteries. I think that we should all fly naked soon!

Hypothesis 3: The size and material in the lithium enable hiding something behind them with current screening. The last time I saw the US security x-rays and overseas the resolution and contrast in the batteries of the laptop were very poor. Solution seems to be up the power of the machines, but that will take big bucks, money, and time not to mention safety likely an issue with higher power screening... Clearly cell phone battery and size don't make them very useful for hiding anything of value and are so thin that likely can't be used to screen anything behind them ( laptop complete different situation )

Only the last one is most plausible at the moment... What other hypothesis for the bans are there?

Last edited by chipmaster; May 15, 2017 at 1:03 am
Old May 15, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
So the person behind me is writing the notices now for our in house airline... text is small so I can't see what it says... but if this is taking place I assume it will be immanent!
Old May 15, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by aidy
So the person behind me is writing the notices now for our in house airline... text is small so I can't see what it says... but if this is taking place I assume it will be immanent!
Should have gone to Specsavers!
Old May 15, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by guflyer
3. Regarding "force them to plan again"--my concern is that they may plan again and find a different way, then passengers will have to give something else up, etc. and that this cycle could go on indefinitely. It is a cat and mouse game. The problem with searching for the individual threat means that new threats may always continue to emerge, and each time, people will lose more freedoms that makes things more miserable. If this is the case, than it seems that the terrorists are winning.
Yet we just get the "the threat is real/credible" response, which tells you nothing. What are the probabilities of occurrence in various locations? What are the potential solutions being considered and the tradeoffs in convenience and freedom of movement? And in comparison to other hazards faced by the public what are the best expenditures of our resources?

Terrorists seem to already be winning, given how we wet out pants and cower in the corner at the slighted hint of the bogeyman.

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Which only goes to prove we are going to extremes to protect ourselves from the much lower risk of terrorism when we should be focusing on places where large numbers of US citizens are dying. American's are much more likely to die at the hand of a US citizen behind the wheel, a US citizen with a gun or heck due to an accident in their own bathroom.

But of course you are right the DHS doesn't care because they aren't held responsible for traffic deaths so say 400 additional traffic deaths is fine because it is not their problem. 400 additional deaths to "terrorism" on the other hand is their problem.
The generally poor ability to assess and quantify risk, and act appropriately, across the public and gov't officials is mind-boggling.

Somehow the idea of even one airliner incident seems to be completely unacceptable to the public at large, yet no one bats an eye at tens of thousands of automobile deaths - and many more injured - per year, or suggests restricting the use of cars....there would be a nationwide revolt if any such proposal came about. Can't take away our freedom to drive wherever, whenever, with whatever we want inside our cars, etc. But we'll mindlessly go along with anything the authorities tell us to do when we go to fly on an airliner.

We devote very little time or resources to the many non-disease causes that are substantially more likely to harm us compared to aviation terrorism.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
To jump back into the conversation. I am not going to quote everything, so apologies for that.

It will get figured out this week, but it is coming.
Thanks for the concise and hyperbole-free summary. Agree that #8 is likely the future.
Old May 15, 2017, 7:50 am

The most frustrating thing regarding this is that we all know the science behind the risks of this, we all know the BS of the arguments yet we are all so completely powerless in the face of this crap.
Old May 15, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is in that swab?

According to the information I have the ETD swabs used by TSA have no chemicals on them. Just plain cloth that is used to pick up trace explosive precursors like lanolin in hand lotion and such.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Barciur
The most frustrating thing regarding this is that we all know the science behind the risks of this, we all know the BS of the arguments yet we are all so completely powerless in the face of this crap.
I have reached the point where I would be quite happy if they just said "because we can" or "because we said so". At least we do not have to be subjected to the BS then.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
Is there any good reason trusted travelers could not be exempted from such a ban? I'm talking about a "show your Nexus/GE card, bring on the usual items like you can today" scenario.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
According to the information I have the ETD swabs used by TSA have no chemicals on them. Just plain cloth that is used to pick up trace explosive precursors like lanolin in hand lotion and such.
My wife was swabbed today and she reports the swabs were wet.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:17 am

Undetectabale Explosives

Seems we may have more that an electronics issue here. What happens when the bad guys start planting undetectable explosives inside the human body....how are we going to screen for that? :-)

I wonder too, if the current ban will be only electronics or any item with a void capable of holding explosives. For example, I may not be able to bring my digital camera into the cabin because it is "electronics". How about my Leica M4-P that is devoid of any battery or electronics whatsoever but is a still a camera?

Last edited by camera_pro; May 15, 2017 at 10:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.