Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronic devices ban Europe to the US [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2017, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
There are about 24,000 commercial flights a day. https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/by_the_numbers/

If implemented for domestic flights, it's likely many people will choose to drive rather than fly, increasing auto deaths, but no one seems to care about that. Similarly, no one seems to care about the risks of attacks on airport security lines. There are many ways to decrease deaths that are much cheaper than increasing airplane security.
Last year in the U.S. vehicle fatalities are estimated to exceed 40,000 people. I'm fairly certain a few more, give or take a few thousand, is of little concern to TSA.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I have been surprised for many years that we haven't seen an attack on an airport security line yet (at least in the US...the only such attack I know of was the Istanbul attack, and it was one of the deadlier terror attacks outside of places like Iraq and Afghanistan in recent years). I won't list them here but there are some airports that I'm familiar with where the security setup is basically a deathtrap if a team of attackers were to start shooting. In some cases you could have the people disperse into the terminal but in others you've got effective dead ends because of the way the airport transport system is designed. Of course, this also goes for any sort of security-related bottleneck. FWIW I remember this first coming to mind on a trip something like nine or ten years ago when I observed a massive crowd at an airport over Thanksgiving weekend.
You're overlooking the attack on the security checkpoint at LAX T3 in 2013.
Old May 14, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
no matter the result, the UK airports will see a lot of closures of a certain electrical chain of stores
Old May 14, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the vending machines is some US airports that sell electronic devices.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by aidy
no matter the result, the UK airports will see a lot of closures of a certain electrical chain of stores
Really? Today, are travelers to the US really that into buying electronics priced in pounds and wired with BS 1363 plugs, right before they board a flight to the US?
Old May 14, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
Hammer meet nail....

Yep. The risk exists. It is not urgent. That is exactly why you are seeing what is occurring. However, from what i have heard and read, they will be there in the next say 6-12 months. So getting ahead of that curve makes sense. Force them to plan again. Not that we like the end result, but that is the way the world will work for the forseeable future.
First, thank you for providing so much information. This is appreciated.

1. Is the risk that exists greater than the risk of a fire/explosion/other issue coming about from electronic devices with lithium batteries being placed in checked luggage?

2. Would putting the electronic devices in the hold actually mitigate this risk, or does this just make people think that something was done although it would not have any real effect? I noticed that in a thread regarding the current electronics ban for other countries, you mentioned "Of course we all know that the ban is theater anyway." Do you believe the same about any proposed ban of laptops from Europe?

3. Regarding "force them to plan again"--my concern is that they may plan again and find a different way, then passengers will have to give something else up, etc. and that this cycle could go on indefinitely. It is a cat and mouse game. The problem with searching for the individual threat means that new threats may always continue to emerge, and each time, people will lose more freedoms that makes things more miserable. If this is the case, than it seems that the terrorists are winning.

Last edited by guflyer; May 14, 2017 at 7:35 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chucko
You're overlooking the attack on the security checkpoint at LAX T3 in 2013.
Was that an attack on a TSA Checkpoint or an attack on TSA Screeners?
Old May 14, 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by MSY-MSP
9) complete ban on carry-on items other than a wallet with passport, cash, up to three other cards.
Not doubting you in the least but I cannot believe this is proposed (actually the sad thing is I actually can). I usually carry 4 to 6 debit/credit cards. At least two debit on two different networks (e.g., Mastercard and Visa) plus a few credit cards. Some I keep separate from my wallet in case it is stolen. I seriously cannot believe we have come to the point where credit cards are considered a threat to planes..... I really hope this is just a negotiating tactic.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by TomMM
Shouldn't be that difficult. They can just not allow devices through TSA checkpoints. No different that liquids and other banned items. This also allows for an easy device ban on domestic flights.
So, how many major European airports actually have segregated departure terminals for US/North American flights versus "other international" and Schengen Area? I know that arrivals from outside of Europe get sent through Customs while "domestic" flights don't.

At airports that don't, you'd effectively have to implement the ban at the gate...and of course, that raises the complication of carrying electronics through if you don't have to re-clear security. To be fair, a solution akin to what exists at SIN would deal with this (where everyone has to re-clear security before boarding)...but boy, would it be a pain to do that at every airport (and it would make timekeeping and connections a total nightmare).

I suspect you're realistically looking at an all-or-nothing approach on the ban: For example, are you really going to try and set up a re-screening station between Concourses D and E at ATL (and of course, what do you do with any cases where for operational reasons you get stuck with an international flight leaving from D)? Or take IAD...how in the world would you split screening between domestic and international outbound flights? Maybe you could split the checkpoints and route pax through a different screening site based on their flight, but then the "workaround" for a would-be attacker is simply to book a similarly-timed domestic flight on another airline and pass through security on that BP.
Old May 14, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Not doubting you in the least but I cannot believe this is proposed (actually the sad thing is I actually can). I usually carry 4 to 6 debit/credit cards. At least two debit on two different networks (e.g., Mastercard and Visa) plus a few credit cards. Some I keep separate from my wallet in case it is stolen. I seriously cannot believe we have come to the point where credit cards are considered a threat to planes..... I really hope this is just a negotiating tactic.
Maybe the new metal cards can be sharped and effectively turned into knives?
Old May 14, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I agree with the absurdity of this...and of course, this is to say nothing of some other "incidental" cards such as lounge access cards (such as my AGR status card...which I need if I'm going to access the Untied Club as well as the CAs and Metropolitan Lounges in the Amtrak system).
Old May 14, 2017, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Last year in the U.S. vehicle fatalities are estimated to exceed 40,000 people. I'm fairly certain a few more, give or take a few thousand, is of little concern to TSA.
Which only goes to prove we are going to extremes to protect ourselves from the much lower risk of terrorism when we should be focusing on places where large numbers of US citizens are dying. American's are much more likely to die at the hand of a US citizen behind the wheel, a US citizen with a gun or heck due to an accident in their own bathroom.

But of course you are right the DHS doesn't care because they aren't held responsible for traffic deaths so say 400 additional traffic deaths is fine because it is not their problem. 400 additional deaths to "terrorism" on the other hand is their problem.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Was that an attack on a TSA Checkpoint or an attack on TSA Screeners?
I seem to recall that it was more of a "lone deranged shooter" than an "actual" terrorist attack.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Maybe the new metal cards can be sharped and effectively turned into knives?
LOL I hadn't thought of that.
Old May 14, 2017, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any proposal to limit carry on items to a wallet will end up in court. If I can't take a blood glucose tester and medicines then I can't fly That is not an acceptable limitation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.