Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2017, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
The TSA is only good at finding water bottles in bags...
And, they actually miss those quite a bit, ime.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:16 pm

Went through DFW,EWR,FLL,PBI,IAH and nary a word about anything, let alone food.

I went through PHX and they were hot on food being screened by itself.

I did ask why the change and at least the guy making the announcement was honest, he had no clue, his supervisor said to ensure it happened and he was ensuring that it happened.

I had a Granola bar at the bottom of my bag and I explained that it was at the bottom of my bag and I would need to step aside to dig it out.

He thought for a second and said, don't worry about it, if the person monitoring the x-ray machine wants to see it, you can worry about it then.

My bag went through, no worries by the female operating the X-ray machine and off I went.
​​
Having said all of that, PHX is the same airport when TSA switched to matching boarding pass with IDs, they allowed me to show my Costco card in lieu of any official form of ID due to my wallet somehow falling into my checked luggage (thought I had lost it).

I was in awe at the time, but nothing TSA does really amazes me anymore.
Old May 22, 2017, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
In SE Asia, it is normal for to have to remove all electronic devices (lap tops/ipads) from back packs and to put them through the screener separately.

This has been a norm for over 5 years. No big deal.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
So judging from the posts....TSA consistently inconsistent.
Old May 22, 2017, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Saj8986
So judging from the posts....TSA consistently inconsistent.
But seriously, does it really really matter if you have to spend all of 30 seconds to put your ipad into the scanner and remove it from your backpack or travel bag for security?

How does it impact on your life or your ability to travel?

I get the stupidity of banning lap tops and ipads from flights. But to remove an item and to place it in the screening machine...what;;s the big deal?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by wolf72
But seriously, does it really really matter if you have to spend all of 30 seconds to put your ipad into the scanner and remove it from your backpack or travel bag for security?

I get the stupidity of banning lap tops and ipads from flights. But to remove an item and to place it in the screening machine...what;;s the big deal?
It would be nice to know if they come out or if they don't. When there is inconsistency it slows everyone down be either 1) requiring people who didn't know to take tablets out to back up and take them out at the last minute or 2) for people who think they need to take them out when they don't being told to leave them in their bags part way though removing them.

In PC it further complicates things when you're at an airport like MSP where they don't always have bins. Like most things TSA it would be very surprising if iPads in or out made a material difference in their ability to detect contraband.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:32 pm

Not giving excuses, but I can understand Security being inconsistent - when intentional. It is like varying transport time, speed and routes for certain "stuff", having decoys etc. However, I am not sure if this was the case here. Being a gigantic operation, sometimes the reason is just that it is tough to implement standards consistently.

It certainly does not help when folks seems to simply distrust TSA staff and concludes every slights are intentional and personal. Kinds of makes the job undesirable. I see people treat restaurant staff with more respect and appreciation than a TSA employee whose JD is very strict and specific and immediately goes towards the safety of the travelling public. No reasonable Security can be 100% without severely compromising convenience (and "dignity") of the passengers.

That aside, in Asia airports, anything larger than a phone is required to be taken out. In China, power banks are supposed to be 20,000mah or lesser else it goes into the trash. The checked baggage screening in China is also very sensitive to batteries however small.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: Several dozen
As I recall, the California Border Protection Stations used to employ various harassment methods on travelers in an effort to keep fruits and nuts out of California. That was ineffective protection as well.

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
AKA as "we can make up new harassment methods so you think we are protecting you"
Old May 22, 2017, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Agreed....I will gladly take my tablet out....that wasn't my point. I fly weekly mostly domestic and have traveled with my iPad since they came out in 2011 or so with never an issue.

Doesn't impact me at all....but it would be nice to know ahead. Period.

I get the stupidity of banning lap tops and ipads from flights. But to remove an item and to place it in the screening machine...what;;s the big deal?[/QUOTE

See response above to your repetitive query.

Last edited by TWA884; May 23, 2017 at 7:57 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old May 22, 2017, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Saj8986

Agreed....I will gladly take my tablet out....that wasn't my point. I fly weekly mostly domestic and have traveled with my iPad since they came out in 2011 or so with never an issue.

Doesn't impact me at all....but it would be nice to know ahead. Period.

I get the stupidity of banning lap tops and ipads from flights. But to remove an item and to place it in the screening machine...what;;s the big deal?[/QUOTE

See response above to your repetitive query.

Bizzare rant. You wonder why so many people are fustrated with life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Last edited by TWA884; May 23, 2017 at 7:57 am Reason: Fix BB Code
Old May 23, 2017, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenn0223
It would be nice to know if they come out or if they don't. When there is inconsistency it slows everyone down be either 1) requiring people who didn't know to take tablets out to back up and take them out at the last minute or 2) for people who think they need to take them out when they don't being told to leave them in their bags part way though removing them.

In PC it further complicates things when you're at an airport like MSP where they don't always have bins. Like most things TSA it would be very surprising if iPads in or out made a material difference in their ability to detect contraband.
Exactly. Let us know the rules!

I've got various electronic bits in my laptop bag besides just the laptop. Let me know what needs to come out!
Old May 23, 2017, 5:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by whosaidjazz
Absolutely standard at Heathrow, and always has been.
Agreed. Pretty much everywhere in the world except in america.
Old May 23, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Exactly. Let us know the rules!

I've got various electronic bits in my laptop bag besides just the laptop. Let me know what needs to come out!
This. And I can also keep those things that might need to come out in the same compartment of my carry-on instead of having to search for them, slowing down the process.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Seabilly
I had precheck on my ticket but since I was in a wheelchair due to a recent injury they made me go through the regular line. I did get head of the line in the regular line but lost my precheck due to the wheelchair. Not sure if that is a LAS thing or applies everywhere.
That's bad. They should respect your right to pre-check.
Old May 24, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems that the pilot program may have some legs. Not only food but apparently some electronics will be included.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/get-rea...ity-1495640411

Get Ready to Unpack for Airport Security

Travelers should expect new procedures at TSA checkpoints later this year, with more carry-on items, like food and tablets, separated into bins

Tests began at small airports like Colorado Springs, Colo., Boise, Idaho and Lubbock, Texas. Travelers have since run into them in Los Angeles, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Boston, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

So denials by TSA when asked specifically about this have been lies.

Dishonesty seems to be TSA's hallmark.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.