Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by chollie
Are the xray operators more poorly trained than their counterparts overseas? Is a two-week paid vacay at the 'academy' (given even to folks who had already been on the job for a decade) really not enough?
At LHR they often ask people to open luggage and then rummage around. Every so often, they'll do that to everyone.

There are many legitimate criticisms of the TSA's security theater, but given the CYA attitude of those in charge and the general public's support for this nonsense, I'm not optimistic.
Old May 29, 2017, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I guess the takeaway from this thread is that currently TSA is paying a lot more attention to food and electronics. It's somewhere beyond the 'pilot program' stage and a large scale change in rules.

I don't know that I can do anything different to prepare, other than showing up even earlier than I already do. I pack for weight-balance-protection-efficiency. This will probably be easier for folks who are accustomed to organizing everything in readily-removable packing cubes.

Last edited by chollie; May 29, 2017 at 12:21 pm
Old May 29, 2017, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Maybe to measure the impact on scanning times and queue lengths?
I haven't seen the dogs lately. Did that pilot not work out? Who would have thought...
Old May 29, 2017, 5:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
At IAD on Sunday, I noticed the Pre line no longer actually checks / scans your BP at all (there is an airport employee at the head of the line who glances at your BP for TSAPre logo, but that's it). They now scan your ID and don't bother to confirm it matches BP at all (interesting, if logical in real-people thinking, just not logical in TSA thinking). But that is fodder for another thread--just have to find the right one...

However, they did not seem to pay any additional attention to electronics. I had my laptop, Kindle, phone, big lithium ion battery pack, and more in my laptop bag, not to mention a rollaboard full of DSLR equipment. They pulled my laptop bag ... to look at a pen. Yep, just a pen. Didn't swab any of the electronics, didn't even pull them out.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by petaluma1
New CT equipment can't find explosives which is why TSA opens so many checked bags and items within those bags. I do believe that soon everything in a carry-on bag will be required to be removed and placed in a bin.

And while I am at it, since TSA believes that parents who refuse to allow food for their infants to be opened need to be thoroughly groped and tested for explosives, why not just test everyone for explosives? If residue is going to transfer from "explosive" baby food, it's going to transfer from "explosive" electronics and granola bars also.

As with the electronics-in-the-hold boondoggle, if there is a true threat, then such attempts to ameliorate said threat should have been instituted immediately and across the board. No "pilot programs" or negotiating with the EU.
Well some baby food is explosive. Trust me, nothing worse than a blowout at 37,000 feet and trying to change a squirmy child in an airplane lavatory. And trust me you don't want that residue transferring.

As for the electronics ban, as I have said on the other thread, the threat isn't an imminent threat. The threat is likely 6 months out from being truly implementable. The ban out of the ME-10 cities is based on two things, the closeness of the threat to those locations, and political concerns (not going Omni on this). If/when the threat becomes imminent you would/will see a complete ban on these items without any negotiation. However, since it is not imminent, they are "willing" to engage in "talks" over its implementation.
Old May 30, 2017, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

FlyerTalk Rule 5:

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
The topic of this thread is the TSA pilot program at 10 airports where travelers have to remove all electronics larger than cellphones, food and paper from their carry on luggage for screening.

We have other active threads discussing baby food and the possible ban of electronics larger than cellphones from certain international flights.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 31, 2017, 1:17 pm

I've read this entire thread, but I still don't understand why TSA wants to confiscate food instead of just examining it? Do they really think a granola bar is a threat? I like granola bars and usually travel with some, like 1 million other people.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Snacks, including granola bars, are organic. Some very nasty explosive substances are 'organic'.

TSO xray techs have apparently recently discovered that they have trouble distinguishing food from explosives.

If paper is any indicator, part of the issue is the shape. A brick of cheese almost always draws attention because it looks like a 'brick' of something nasty. Perhaps that's part of the issue with granola bars.

Confiscate? Well, the alternative is to open it and swab it, plus give the pax a full grope - the same procedures often used to clear baby foods. Perhaps some screeners don't want the hassle.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I've read this entire thread, but I still don't understand why TSA wants to confiscate food instead of just examining it? Do they really think a granola bar is a threat? I like granola bars and usually travel with some, like 1 million other people.
Is water a threat, is baby food a threat? I would say no but that doesn't matter to TSA.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is water a threat, is baby food a threat? I would say no but that doesn't matter to TSA.
In order to keep getting money from Congress, they have to keep inventing threats that only they can mitigate.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda
At IAD on Sunday, I noticed the Pre line no longer actually checks / scans your BP at all (there is an airport employee at the head of the line who glances at your BP for TSAPre logo, but that's it). They now scan your ID and don't bother to confirm it matches BP at all (interesting, if logical in real-people thinking, just not logical in TSA thinking). But that is fodder for another thread--just have to find the right one...

However, they did not seem to pay any additional attention to electronics. I had my laptop, Kindle, phone, big lithium ion battery pack, and more in my laptop bag, not to mention a rollaboard full of DSLR equipment. They pulled my laptop bag ... to look at a pen. Yep, just a pen. Didn't swab any of the electronics, didn't even pull them out.
SEA--normal screening, nothing special with our electronics. My wife also got through with no BP or ID--there was no ID checker out front (this was the line outside Customs but I didn't see anything stopping someone from outside entering there) and while the guy asked for her boarding pass I had it and was still putting our stuff on the belt. She was let through anyway.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 10:56 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
At SMF / Sacramento, California, TSA screeners began requiring passengers remove all reading material - books, magazines, etc. - and all personal food items from carry on for placement into inspection bins / trays.

When asked about why this "policy" was required, a screener said "I don't know, it's new". (Brings to mind another time and another circumstance, where a proper response was "Jawohl, I will follow orders, Herr Hauptmann.")

Wotinell is this new invasion of privacy about?

Link to related article "Hands off my books, TSA. And leave my cookies alone." Opinion piece by Prof. Julie Sze of U C - Davis, 11 Jun 2017.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:33 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
At SMF / Sacramento, California, TSA screeners began requiring passengers remove all reading material - books, magazines, etc. - and all personal food items from carry on for placement into inspection bins / trays.

When asked about why this "policy" was required, a screener said "I don't know, it's new". (Brings to mind another time and another circumstance, where a proper response was "Jawohl, I will follow orders, Herr Hauptmann.")

Wotinell is this new invasion of privacy about?

Link to related article "Hands off my books, TSA. And leave my cookies alone." Opinion piece by Prof. Julie Sze of U C - Davis, 11 Jun 2017.
Haven't they pulled the "all books out" garbage before? Maybe back in 2007 or so?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Tell me something, please. Books/magazines and food have looked like bombs forever. Why the sudden push to more thoroughly examine them?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Tell me something, please. Books/magazines and food have looked like bombs forever. Why the sudden push to more thoroughly examine them?
Can't tell you, it's classified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.