Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Old May 29, 17, 10:53 am
  #121  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,139
Originally Posted by chollie
Are the xray operators more poorly trained than their counterparts overseas? Is a two-week paid vacay at the 'academy' (given even to folks who had already been on the job for a decade) really not enough?
At LHR they often ask people to open luggage and then rummage around. Every so often, they'll do that to everyone.

There are many legitimate criticisms of the TSA's security theater, but given the CYA attitude of those in charge and the general public's support for this nonsense, I'm not optimistic.
richarddd is offline  
Old May 29, 17, 12:11 pm
  #122  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 38,063
I guess the takeaway from this thread is that currently TSA is paying a lot more attention to food and electronics. It's somewhere beyond the 'pilot program' stage and a large scale change in rules.

I don't know that I can do anything different to prepare, other than showing up even earlier than I already do. I pack for weight-balance-protection-efficiency. This will probably be easier for folks who are accustomed to organizing everything in readily-removable packing cubes.

Last edited by chollie; May 29, 17 at 12:21 pm
chollie is offline  
Old May 29, 17, 4:50 pm
  #123  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ORD
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 16,897
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Maybe to measure the impact on scanning times and queue lengths?
I haven't seen the dogs lately. Did that pilot not work out? Who would have thought...
milepig is offline  
Old May 29, 17, 5:32 pm
  #124  
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 65,037
At IAD on Sunday, I noticed the Pre line no longer actually checks / scans your BP at all (there is an airport employee at the head of the line who glances at your BP for TSAPre logo, but that's it). They now scan your ID and don't bother to confirm it matches BP at all (interesting, if logical in real-people thinking, just not logical in TSA thinking). But that is fodder for another thread--just have to find the right one...

However, they did not seem to pay any additional attention to electronics. I had my laptop, Kindle, phone, big lithium ion battery pack, and more in my laptop bag, not to mention a rollaboard full of DSLR equipment. They pulled my laptop bag ... to look at a pen. Yep, just a pen. Didn't swab any of the electronics, didn't even pull them out.
exerda is offline  
Old May 30, 17, 3:18 pm
  #125  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Rochester, MN
Programs: UA GS, AA PLT, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,430
Originally Posted by petaluma1
New CT equipment can't find explosives which is why TSA opens so many checked bags and items within those bags. I do believe that soon everything in a carry-on bag will be required to be removed and placed in a bin.

And while I am at it, since TSA believes that parents who refuse to allow food for their infants to be opened need to be thoroughly groped and tested for explosives, why not just test everyone for explosives? If residue is going to transfer from "explosive" baby food, it's going to transfer from "explosive" electronics and granola bars also.

As with the electronics-in-the-hold boondoggle, if there is a true threat, then such attempts to ameliorate said threat should have been instituted immediately and across the board. No "pilot programs" or negotiating with the EU.
Well some baby food is explosive. Trust me, nothing worse than a blowout at 37,000 feet and trying to change a squirmy child in an airplane lavatory. And trust me you don't want that residue transferring.

As for the electronics ban, as I have said on the other thread, the threat isn't an imminent threat. The threat is likely 6 months out from being truly implementable. The ban out of the ME-10 cities is based on two things, the closeness of the threat to those locations, and political concerns (not going Omni on this). If/when the threat becomes imminent you would/will see a complete ban on these items without any negotiation. However, since it is not imminent, they are "willing" to engage in "talks" over its implementation.
MSY-MSP is offline  
Old May 30, 17, 6:23 pm
  #126  
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: VNY | BUR | LAX
Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Posts: 18,762
Exclamation Moderator's Note: Please let's get back on topic

FlyerTalk Rule 5:

Stay On Topic

FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting.
The topic of this thread is the TSA pilot program at 10 airports where travelers have to remove all electronics larger than cellphones, food and paper from their carry on luggage for screening.

We have other active threads discussing baby food and the possible ban of electronics larger than cellphones from certain international flights.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
TWA884 is offline  
Old May 31, 17, 1:17 pm
  #127  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: RDU
Posts: 4,788
I've read this entire thread, but I still don't understand why TSA wants to confiscate food instead of just examining it? Do they really think a granola bar is a threat? I like granola bars and usually travel with some, like 1 million other people.
zitsky is offline  
Old May 31, 17, 1:28 pm
  #128  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: where the chile is hot
Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Posts: 38,063
Snacks, including granola bars, are organic. Some very nasty explosive substances are 'organic'.

TSO xray techs have apparently recently discovered that they have trouble distinguishing food from explosives.

If paper is any indicator, part of the issue is the shape. A brick of cheese almost always draws attention because it looks like a 'brick' of something nasty. Perhaps that's part of the issue with granola bars.

Confiscate? Well, the alternative is to open it and swab it, plus give the pax a full grope - the same procedures often used to clear baby foods. Perhaps some screeners don't want the hassle.
chollie is offline  
Old May 31, 17, 1:47 pm
  #129  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: DFW
Posts: 25,273
Originally Posted by zitsky
I've read this entire thread, but I still don't understand why TSA wants to confiscate food instead of just examining it? Do they really think a granola bar is a threat? I like granola bars and usually travel with some, like 1 million other people.
Is water a threat, is baby food a threat? I would say no but that doesn't matter to TSA.
Boggie Dog is offline  
Old May 31, 17, 7:08 pm
  #130  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: An NPR mind living in a Fox News world
Posts: 14,036
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Is water a threat, is baby food a threat? I would say no but that doesn't matter to TSA.
In order to keep getting money from Congress, they have to keep inventing threats that only they can mitigate.
FliesWay2Much is offline  
Old Jun 2, 17, 6:01 pm
  #131  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 37,756
Originally Posted by exerda
At IAD on Sunday, I noticed the Pre line no longer actually checks / scans your BP at all (there is an airport employee at the head of the line who glances at your BP for TSAPre logo, but that's it). They now scan your ID and don't bother to confirm it matches BP at all (interesting, if logical in real-people thinking, just not logical in TSA thinking). But that is fodder for another thread--just have to find the right one...

However, they did not seem to pay any additional attention to electronics. I had my laptop, Kindle, phone, big lithium ion battery pack, and more in my laptop bag, not to mention a rollaboard full of DSLR equipment. They pulled my laptop bag ... to look at a pen. Yep, just a pen. Didn't swab any of the electronics, didn't even pull them out.
SEA--normal screening, nothing special with our electronics. My wife also got through with no BP or ID--there was no ID checker out front (this was the line outside Customs but I didn't see anything stopping someone from outside entering there) and while the guy asked for her boarding pass I had it and was still putting our stuff on the belt. She was let through anyway.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Jun 11, 17, 10:56 am
  #132  
Moderator: American AAdvantage
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,951
At SMF / Sacramento, California, TSA screeners began requiring passengers remove all reading material - books, magazines, etc. - and all personal food items from carry on for placement into inspection bins / trays.

When asked about why this "policy" was required, a screener said "I don't know, it's new". (Brings to mind another time and another circumstance, where a proper response was "Jawohl, I will follow orders, Herr Hauptmann.")

Wotinell is this new invasion of privacy about?

Link to related article "Hands off my books, TSA. And leave my cookies alone." Opinion piece by Prof. Julie Sze of U C - Davis, 11 Jun 2017.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:33 pm
  #133  
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Between DCA and IAD
Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 65,037
Originally Posted by JDiver
At SMF / Sacramento, California, TSA screeners began requiring passengers remove all reading material - books, magazines, etc. - and all personal food items from carry on for placement into inspection bins / trays.

When asked about why this "policy" was required, a screener said "I don't know, it's new". (Brings to mind another time and another circumstance, where a proper response was "Jawohl, I will follow orders, Herr Hauptmann.")

Wotinell is this new invasion of privacy about?

Link to related article "Hands off my books, TSA. And leave my cookies alone." Opinion piece by Prof. Julie Sze of U C - Davis, 11 Jun 2017.
Haven't they pulled the "all books out" garbage before? Maybe back in 2007 or so?
exerda is offline  
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:39 pm
  #134  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,526
Tell me something, please. Books/magazines and food have looked like bombs forever. Why the sudden push to more thoroughly examine them?
petaluma1 is offline  
Old Jun 12, 17, 5:45 pm
  #135  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: RDU
Posts: 4,788
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Tell me something, please. Books/magazines and food have looked like bombs forever. Why the sudden push to more thoroughly examine them?
Can't tell you, it's classified.
zitsky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread