Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Anybody know what this is about?

@tsa pilot program about food in security line. 30 minutes for one family to get through. Whew!
eta:

Trying to find out which airport but apparently all food must come out of carryon and go into a bin. What purpose does that serve except to slow people down and perhaps drive business to food courts in "sterile" area?

It is PHX that apparently runs all sorts of ridiculous "pilot programs".

Last edited by petaluma1; Mar 26, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:22 pm

I got this crap flying out of ROC in Dec. (ROC security is private but doesnt mean it wasn't a TSA program).
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Anybody know what this is about?

eta:

Trying to find out which airport but apparently all food must come out of carryon and go into a bin. What purpose does that serve except to slow people down and perhaps drive business to food courts in "sterile" area?

It is PHX that apparently runs all sorts of ridiculous "pilot programs".
Yeah, I was through PHX recently, and apparently they are one of the airports participating in TSA's new 'snack attacks'. I think next time I'll go through with a bunch of snacks that have been opened slightly and allowed to go really really stale. The confiscating screenes can try to enjoy stale snacks on their breaks.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Ridiculous. Please tell me this doesn't apply to Precheck.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kumulani
The last two Pre lanes I went through had no bins. Don't see how this would work in a Pre lane and for that matter why such should be done in any screening lane. TSA seems to be less able to screen passengers now than just weeks ago. If this is the best TSA can offer then I say dump TSA.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Kumulani
wish I could but leaving Boston a few weeks ago we both me and my GF had bag checks in pre-check lane because of the dangerous trail mix inside. I though the TSO was hungry (big guy so couldn't be starving) or was making stuff up as they go. Of course now I see this thread and i guess its a coordinated effort to separate us from our food.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
The last two Pre lanes I went through had no bins. Don't see how this would work in a Pre lane and for that matter why such should be done in any screening lane. TSA seems to be less able to screen passengers now than just weeks ago. If this is the best TSA can offer then I say dump TSA.
True, but they could bring bins back to Precheck. Or make you dump your snacks out into one of those doggie bowls. With the TSA you never know.

Originally Posted by CDKing
wish I could but leaving Boston a few weeks ago we both me and my GF had bag checks in pre-check lane because of the dangerous trail mix inside. I though the TSO was hungry (big guy so couldn't be starving) or was making stuff up as they go. Of course now I see this thread and i guess its a coordinated effort to separate us from our food.
Really hoping this is a fluke as I fly through BOS a lot. Surely if it had something to do with the pilot program they would have told people they had to take food out of their bags?

Just searched on Twitter, found reports of Precheck users being required to take snacks out, and found reports of this at LAS and IND as well. Also found reports of people being asked to take ALL electronics out of bag. Interestingly these tweets go back months, I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of this.

This is going to slow things down a lot. The whole point of Precheck is that you don't have to take anything out... even if you are allowed to leave liquids and laptops in, that won't do much good if everyone has to take food out.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 19, 2018 at 5:42 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Experienced this at PHL last August. Instructed to remove all food items for inspection including Pre-Check line. Since it was early Monday morning they emphasized all food, even granola bars. Only lasted a week or two before things returned to normal.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Only time I have seen this, in PHX in the PC lane, was January 3-chalked it up to holiday stupidity on the part of TSA. Have never had any screener telling pax to take snacks out since or had my bag pulled because I had stuff in my bags.

<deleted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 pm Reason: Off topic
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, no bins in pre when I went through it last year. Sending small items through the x-ray has problems due to the radiation flaps on the ends.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Are they looking for exploding popcorn?
Old Mar 28, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
Are they looking for exploding popcorn?
Pretty clear that TSA hasn't a clue what they are doing or looking for.

Now they assault young boys because a laptop alarms.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 9:46 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Based on my last complaint with a TSA supervisor at LAX, they are supposed to provide a bin from the normal lane when requested. However, it's not always followed.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, SWA A-List
Had to remove all food at LAS last week. Note, food was returned to me after scanning, not confiscated. This was for everyone, not an individual request. Was in pre-check "lite" in that there wasn't a separate lane, so had to remove liquids and electronics, but was allowed to keep shoes on and go through metal detector instead of scanner.

TSA also requested ALL electronics, including Kindles and iPads be removed in addition to laptops.

Not sure if this was just LAS that do or a more general directive.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 12:22 pm

A lane for food, a lane for liquids, a lane for electronics, a lane for clothes, a lane for people... ... ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.