Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New TSA Screening - Food & Electronics Bigger than Cellphones out of Bags

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle

Yesterday I flew out of Logan and heard TSA telling all passengers to remove not just laptops but also iPads, Tablets, Kindles, GPS, etc. Anything larger than a cell phone. I totally forgot about my Garmin GPS and had to have my carryon searched separately. (I did remove my iPad and Kindle) When I asked about removing those items he said it was new and only at Logan. YMMV
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:11 pm

No, not only at Logan:

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&...ipads&src=typd
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
TSA BOS-Terminal E: Must remove iPad, Kindle

Flew out of BOS this morning and after having my backpack pulled aside was told new policy "at several airports, and to be policy everywhere soon" (to extent TSA agent knows anything...) is that everyone must remove iPad and Kindle, not just laptop. <deleted by moderator>.

(And FWIW the only swapped them, didn't bother to res reed them...)

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 24, 2017 at 3:50 pm Reason: Commentary / Policy Debate, not Practical Travel Safety and Security advice/information
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Can confirm they started doing this at Hobby as well.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by actonma
Flew out of BOS this morning and after having my backpack pulled aside was told new policy "at several airports, and to be policy everywhere soon" (to extent TSA agent knows anything...) is that everyone must remove iPad and Kindle, not just laptop. <deleted by moderator>.

(And FWIW the only swapped them, didn't bother to res reed them...)
Were they quietly informing pax of this new requirement as they put their things on the belt, or just pulling all the bags for a search and then telling the pax?

I don't suppose any checkpoint signage/videos were updated to reflect the new change.

<deleted by moderator>.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 24, 2017 at 3:56 pm Reason: Commentary / Policy Debate, not Practical Travel Safety and Security advice/information
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note:

This is the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum.

Per the forum sticky thread, Please Read: Important Information, this is the place to ask questions and get information to help you travel safely with minimal hassle.

Before posting in this thread, please ask yourself: If I were traveling today, is this something that I need to know?”

Please reserve your commentary and opinion of the TSA screening policies and practices for the Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate forum.

Thank you for understanding,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Apr 30, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS/3MM; American EXP; Hilton Diamond; Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by chollie
Were they quietly informing pax of this new requirement as they put their things on the belt, or just pulling all the bags for a search and then telling the pax?

I don't suppose any checkpoint signage/videos were updated to reflect the new change.

<deleted by moderator>.
As the went through my bad I could hear the TSA rep telling people they needed to,remove iPads and Kindles. I'm sure the said this while I was in line too but I just tune them out...
Old May 21, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue, Global Entry
Does this apply to TSA-Pre Pax as well? Or just Non-Pre Pax/at total random/whenever the TSO Supervisor feels like it? Went PHL-SFO yesterday and it was Pre-Check as normal (with lines to the SEPTA Platform Escalators/Stairs at B)

Last edited by quillbin; May 21, 2017 at 2:33 am Reason: Clarity
Old May 21, 2017, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by quillbin
Does this apply to TSA-Pre Pax as well? Or just Non-Pre Pax/at total random/whenever the TSO Supervisor feels like it? Went PHL-SFO yesterday and it was Pre-Check as normal (with lines to the SEPTA Platform Escalators/Stairs at B)
It has only happened to me at Logan. In the time since I flew through Logan, I have been through SEA, MKE, COD, SLC, OAK, and STL. I do have TSA Pre and use the TSA Pre lines all the time (Cody has TSAPre lite)
Old May 21, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by ctporter
Yesterday I flew out of Logan and heard TSA telling all passengers to remove not just laptops but also iPads, Tablets, Kindles, GPS, etc. Anything larger than a cell phone. I totally forgot about my Garmin GPS and had to have my carryon searched separately. (I did remove my iPad and Kindle) When I asked about removing those items he said it was new and only at Logan. YMMV
Grief, I hadn't even considered the GPS as part of the electronics ban.

Is the rule actually "anything larger than a cell phone" or "anything with a battery" - my GPS unit is smaller than my iPhone 5.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue, Global Entry
If this is a substitue for a Full "Everything bigger than an iPhone 7 Plus/Android Phone of Similar Size" ban, it's actually reasonable. My Nintendo Switch for instance is a bit smaller than a 7" kindle fire, yet looks like a laptop on an X-Ray (because it has heat piping and a Cooling fan)
Old May 22, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
TSA now treating iPads like laptops?

Searched the forum and didn't see anything on this....

Going through PDX today and they had to remove my iPad from my bag and scan separately. I asked when this started and TSA said a week ago....which is not accurate as I flew home from SLC Thursday.

Anyone else had this happen?
Old May 22, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Saj8986
Searched the forum and didn't see anything on this....
Probably because this is the DL forum, not the Why Did They Make Me Take My iPad Out My My Bag forum.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Grief, I hadn't even considered the GPS as part of the electronics ban.

Is the rule actually "anything larger than a cell phone" or "anything with a battery" - my GPS unit is smaller than my iPhone 5.
Larger then a cell. I'm guessing this is linked to the "laptop" ban. For those flights where stuff is banned, even Bose headsets aren't allowed.
Old May 22, 2017, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are people being forced to remove iPads in the PreCheck lanes for TSA security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.