Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
Funny. Designating SSI to restrain competition was specifically prohibited by Congress.
How does TSA labeling something SSI restrain competition when TSA has no real competition?
Old May 1, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by saizai
Funny. Designating SSI to restrain competition was specifically prohibited by Congress.
Maybe, but if TSA ignores the Constitution itself, why would they have any qualms about ignoring Congressional prohibitions and restraints?
Loren Pechtel and petaluma1 like this.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Maybe, but if TSA ignores the Constitution itself, why would they have any qualms about ignoring Congressional prohibitions and restraints?
Sad thing is, TSA can only ignore the Constitution because the people do.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Sad thing is, TSA can only ignore the Constitution because the people do.
I dont know what that is supposed to mean. Most people on this board care about the Constitution.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
I dont know what that is supposed to mean. Most people on this board care about the Constitution.
Too many people today are willing to concede all authority to government and when government oversteps are not willing to step up and fight for their rights. Fear of being arrested, financial ruin trying to fight city hall, endless other excuses along with real issues. Example, trying to bring correction to TSA is akin to pushing rope. If you don't understand that analogy then get a piece of rope and try pushing it.
Old May 2, 2018, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Too many people today are willing to concede all authority to government and when government oversteps are not willing to step up and fight for their rights. Fear of being arrested, financial ruin trying to fight city hall, endless other excuses along with real issues. Example, trying to bring correction to TSA is akin to pushing rope. If you don't understand that analogy then get a piece of rope and try pushing it.
I get what you're saying. I dont agree that someone should ruin themselves financially to make a point.
Old May 2, 2018, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get what you're saying. I dont agree that someone should ruin themselves financially to make a point.
I don't disagree with you but financial ruin is exactly what a person could face trying to fight back against government. Government can object and stall endlessly thereby increasing cost to an individual which is likely a reason why more push back against TSA isn't taken. Toss in the which court TSA's issues go to and things get even more difficult.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
That's supposed to mean that "most people on this board" is not most people (in the country). This board is not a good representation of "our population", we all know that.

The people (not the ones on FT but the country in general) are asleep, and the Constitution is not of interest to them... like having the Department of Fatherla...ah, Homeland Security trampling our rights.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canyonleo
That's supposed to mean that "most people on this board" is not most people (in the country). This board is not a good representation of "our population", we all know that.

The people (not the ones on FT but the country in general) are asleep, and the Constitution is not of interest to them... like having the Department of Fatherla...ah, Homeland Security trampling our rights.
Thank you. I was trying to come up with a response, but you said it far better than I ever could have done.

Last edited by petaluma1; May 2, 2018 at 4:30 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 4:45 pm

What form of protest is desired? Picketing in front of checkpoints? Letters to congress person?
Old May 2, 2018, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What form of protest is desired? Picketing in front of checkpoints? Letters to congress person?
Nothing has achieved traction so far. Not enough resistance to the abuses of TSA.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Nothing has achieved traction so far. Not enough resistance to the abuses of TSA.
Lack of resistance is not the only problem - active support of measures like this food and electronics screening nonsense keeps TSA going. "Well, if it keeps us safe..." is the reply that the majority of people give me when I complain about TSA or DHS over-reach.

I typically reply with, "Well, what if it DOESN'T keep us safe? What if it doesn't do ANYTHING to keep is safe? Would it still be worth the invasion of privacy/abuse/loss of freedom then?"

And the response is, "Well, you don't know. It might. I just feel better knowing that SOMEBODY is doing SOMETHING to keep us safe..." Etc.

This attitude seems to exist inside TSA's upper management, as well. The policy discussed in this thread is a prime example. I can imagine a conversation at TSA HQ between a few bureaucrats who have no real knowledge of security or screening:

"Hey, I just had a thought - what if a Terrorist decides to bring in some C4 disguised as a granola bar! We'd NEVER EVEN KNOW IT!"

"Ohmigod, THAT'S TERRIFYING!"

"Yeah, we better start screening for that."

"Okay. Hey, what if they put C4 in other food? Sandwiches, trail mix, any of that stuff could have C4 in it."

"Good point. We better screen all of the food."

"How do we do that?"

"Make 'em take it out of their carry-ons. I mean, people put way too much stuff in those bags, anyway, maybe this'll make 'em pack lighter."

"Okay, all food out, just like laptops."

"Oh, yeah, and why only laptops? Why not anything electronic? All electronics can be made into bombs, right?"

"Wow, I never thought of that. We better screen all electronics..."

The ignorance and paranoia just feed on themselves in an endless loop.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Lack of resistance is not the only problem - active support of measures like this food and electronics screening nonsense keeps TSA going. "Well, if it keeps us safe..." is the reply that the majority of people give me when I complain about TSA or DHS over-reach.

I typically reply with, "Well, what if it DOESN'T keep us safe? What if it doesn't do ANYTHING to keep is safe? Would it still be worth the invasion of privacy/abuse/loss of freedom then?"

And the response is, "Well, you don't know. It might. I just feel better knowing that SOMEBODY is doing SOMETHING to keep us safe..." Etc.

This attitude seems to exist inside TSA's upper management, as well. The policy discussed in this thread is a prime example. I can imagine a conversation at TSA HQ between a few bureaucrats who have no real knowledge of security or screening:

"Hey, I just had a thought - what if a Terrorist decides to bring in some C4 disguised as a granola bar! We'd NEVER EVEN KNOW IT!"

"Ohmigod, THAT'S TERRIFYING!"

"Yeah, we better start screening for that."

"Okay. Hey, what if they put C4 in other food? Sandwiches, trail mix, any of that stuff could have C4 in it."

"Good point. We better screen all of the food."

"How do we do that?"

"Make 'em take it out of their carry-ons. I mean, people put way too much stuff in those bags, anyway, maybe this'll make 'em pack lighter."

"Okay, all food out, just like laptops."

"Oh, yeah, and why only laptops? Why not anything electronic? All electronics can be made into bombs, right?"

"Wow, I never thought of that. We better screen all electronics..."

The ignorance and paranoia just feed on themselves in an endless loop.
In the meantime, every new item that has to come out of a carry-on to be screened and possibly even swabbed makes the lines longer, creating even more vulnerability to passengers as even Pekoske has pointed out:
“In my ideal world, we don’t have hundreds of people queued up to go through security,” TSA Administrator David Pekoske said at the Airports Council International – North America conference, The Hill reports. “That in itself is a security vulnerability.”
https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ecurity-lines/
Old May 6, 2018, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
In the meantime, every new item that has to come out of a carry-on to be screened and possibly even swabbed makes the lines longer, creating even more vulnerability to passengers as even Pekoske has pointed out: https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...ecurity-lines/
Do you think they care? It's all an act to make people feel safe. TSA didn't change checkpoint procedures after the LAX checkpoint incident. I don't believe real security is even a distant thought at TSA.
Old May 6, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
I don't think it is possible to protest inside an airport. Only to way is for a bunch of travelers in line to intentionally make it more inefficient than it already is, like take a while to take out id, take a while to put stuff on the belt, forget to take out a water bottle or food item from bag causing the agent to have to manually search the bag. This would make the lines so long that they would have to compromise. Everyone would need to be in on it for this to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.