Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
My Pelican case is another matter. If I were to separate out all electronics "larger than a cell phone" it would take 5+ bins. So, when they say all electronics in the bins, I pat the closed up Pelican and say its is full of electronics, why don't you just screen it? That is what they did, twice. Both times it was quicker than I could get my belt back on.

Previous trip in April, I got Pre both ways. Pelican went on the belt and came out the other side with no screening.
Interesting approach.

My understanding is the real issue is electronics + organics. When they are together they can't tell if it's a bomb or not.
Old May 28, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So for almost the last 17 years TSA carry-on bag screening has been inadequate but no actively plotting "bad guy" has taken advantage of this weakness.

I honestly believe that risk analysis is a completely foreign concept at TSA.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
So for almost the last 17 years TSA carry-on bag screening has been inadequate but no actively plotting "bad guy" has taken advantage of this weakness.

I honestly believe that risk analysis is a completely foreign concept at TSA.
It took a full year for TSA to institute their electronics/food screening across the nation. If these two items were such a risk/problem, why did it take them that long?
Old May 29, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
it takes that long to cycle them through FLETC....again.....and again.....
Old May 29, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
Are you suggesting that TSA is incapable of on-site training? How would they ever be able to institute an immediate alert screening issue? While the TSA Academy is located on the grounds of the FLETC TSA screeners are in no way part of those LEO trainees.
Old May 29, 2018, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Interesting approach.

My understanding is the real issue is electronics + organics. When they are together they can't tell if it's a bomb or not.
My understanding was that it is particular organics shaped certain ways that really get attention - I've heard blocks of cheese, in particular, look just like bricks of C-4, and certain thick books/stacks of paper also confuse some screeners - which is why the women who attended a sorority meeting in a large Texas city encountered so much grief at the checkpoint and UA/TSA subsequently warned convention-goers at another airport to pack their souvenir books to avoid checkpoint delays.

Note: When I have something 'organic' that I suspect might trigger an inexperienced screener, the last thing I'm going to do is pack it in a checked bag. I want them to tear my bag apart in front of me, not out of sight. There's less likelihood of the bag being sent on its way with missing or damaged items, broken or unzipped zipper, opened liquids tossed back in the bag, etc....
Old May 29, 2018, 9:58 am

Are you suggesting that TSA is incapable of on-site training?
FYI, the official term is "On The Job" (OTJ) training. In case you feel like searching for docs about it.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
you might think that - I couldnt possibly comment...

FLETC is a reference to the training center in Georgia (although FLETC is actually nine domestic and international centers plus additional satellite training locations), not a suggestion that TSOs are LEOs.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
Please tell us that you are not saying that every time there is a change in a screening procedure all screeners get sent to GA for retraining!

We know there is OTJ training because of all the complaints about new screeners being trained while lines back up. We also know it from videos of sreeners sexually assaulting travelers, in particular the young body who was assaulted for many minutes while a supervisor egged the screener on and most recently the 96 year old who was assaulted for 6 minutes while a supervisor hovered around.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
FYI, the official term is "On The Job" (OTJ) training. In case you feel like searching for docs about it.
I'm familiar with the term. In the case of an immediate issue that needs to be implemented right away I feel that OJT doesn't adequately describe the training process. Since TSA has created the "Expert" TSO designation, who specialize in training, I would think that there are a certain number of them at each airport just for such occurrences.
Old May 29, 2018, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
It took a full year for TSA to institute their electronics/food screening across the nation. If these two items were such a risk/problem, why did it take them that long?
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Please tell us that you are not saying that every time there is a change in a screening procedure all screeners get sent to GA for retraining!

We know there is OTJ training because of all the complaints about new screeners being trained while lines back up. We also know it from videos of sreeners sexually assaulting travelers, in particular the young body who was assaulted for many minutes while a supervisor egged the screener on and most recently the 96 year old who was assaulted for 6 minutes while a supervisor hovered around.
Your use of the term assault suggests something inappropriate. I'm not familiar with these two cases.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
Your use of the term assault suggests something inappropriate. I'm not familiar with these two cases.
You think touching a person's genitals without advising them that their genitals/perineum will be touched is not inappropriate? "Resistance" or "groin search" doesn't do the trick, but TSA is too cowardly to use the word genitals. In fact, they lie about it: "…that contact with Plaintiff's genitals, if any at all, was incidental and occurred through the course of a typical security pat-down." Read here: tinyurl.com/y9ttb62p
Old May 29, 2018, 11:24 am

What's the story with the 96 yo or the young boy? Same thing I suppose?
Old May 29, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
What's the story with the 96 yo or the young boy? Same thing I suppose?
Prolonged gropings/assaults:

Old May 29, 2018, 1:16 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Are you suggesting that TSA is incapable of on-site training? How would they ever be able to institute an immediate alert screening issue? While the TSA Academy is located on the grounds of the FLETC TSA screeners are in no way part of those LEO trainees.
If TSA were capable of conducting on-site training, they wouldn't have created the TSA academy at FLETC. The whole reason that academy exists is that too many TSOs didn't know how to perform their jobs, because they had been inadequately or improperly trained on-site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.