Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All Food and Electronics Larger than Cellphones out for Screening

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Makes it easier for them to select what they want without having to take a break.

What are the implications of the powder rule for carrying cremains?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Note

Originally Posted by chrisl137
What are the implications of the powder rule for carrying cremains?
For indexing and future search purposes, please discuss the powder rule in the following thread:
Thank you,

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:21 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation Moderator's Action

Posts discussing confiscation of food, as opposed to having to take food out for screening, were moved to a new thread (FT Rule 5 - Stay On Topic).

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 8, 2018 at 9:46 am Reason: Add link
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Old Nov 18, 2018, 7:46 am

When he is trying to tap out the powder for testing perhaps, I hope he is not touching the surface of that bench. Not sanitary. Hope those are clean gloves.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Opening the factory seal w/those filthy gloves-yuck

He's probably one of those screeners who doesn't understand why the traveling public loathes them as much as we do...
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zitsky
When he is trying to tap out the powder for testing perhaps, I hope he is not touching the surface of that bench. Not sanitary. Hope those are clean gloves.
Those thoughts occurred to me also as well as they thought that he could be testing for drugs, even though TSA swears up and down they don't do so.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:19 am

Are they supposed to put the test strip *IN* your liquid or solid? Or do they wave it around with a magic pass? Those strips are supposed to be sanitary but I still don't want it near my food or drink.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I'm looking at this TSO, fresh from a stint at the 'academy' to be retrained, and realizing that if a bad person ever tries to take something like anthrax or fentanyl through a checkpoint, we are all well and truly screwed, because TSA's training apparently encourages screeners to use risky procedures with unknown powders that would never be handled so casually in a police lab or other professionally controlled circumstances.

It's perfectly clear from the screener's actions that he has been trained to believe that this is all a charade, that he does not believe he will ever encounter and confiscate anything truly risky or dangerous. Otherwise, he'd at least have a face mask while he's messing with supposedly potentially dangerous substances.

Originally Posted by zitsky
Are they supposed to put the test strip *IN* your liquid or solid? Or do they wave it around with a magic pass? Those strips are supposed to be sanitary but I still don't want it near my food or drink.
They do whatever they want with the strips. I have no idea why this guy thinks he needs to pour some of the substance on to the table top to test it. If it was laced with fentanyl or anthrax, he'd have just put a whole lot of people at risk, starting with himself.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 18, 2018 at 10:45 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Nov 18, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
I'm looking at this TSO, fresh from a stint at the 'academy' to be retrained, and realizing that if a bad person ever tries to take something like anthrax or fentanyl through a checkpoint, we are all well and truly screwed, because TSA's training apparently encourages screeners to use risky procedures with unknown powders that would never be handled so casually in a police lab or other professionally controlled circumstances.

It's perfectly clear from the screener's actions that he has been trained to believe that this is all a charade, that he does not believe he will ever encounter and confiscate anything truly risky or dangerous. Otherwise, he'd at least have a face mask while he's messing with supposedly potentially dangerous substances.
With all due respect, Chollie, most of us figured this out when the war on water started-all those liquids were too dangerous to take thru the checkpoint, but apparently all those little bottles of shampoo, etc., were safe enough to let pile up in bins every day before being donated to homeless shelters.
KDS and petaluma1 like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:23 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
As a contrast to the antics of the USA TSA:

I just came through security at Terminal 4 in SIN. Nothing had to be taken out of my bags -- no laptops, no liquids, no electronics, no powders, no food -- nothing. Kept my shoes on. Was able to choose between WTMD and MMW -- of course I chose the WTMD. Better than pre-check. Amazing. And no flights from SIN today were misdirected or didn't land normally.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by KDS

I just came through security at Terminal 4 in SIN. Nothing had to be taken out of my bags -- no laptops, no liquids, no electronics, no powders, no food -- nothing. Kept my shoes on. Was able to choose between WTMD and MMW -- of course I chose the WTMD. Better than pre-check. Amazing. And no flights from SIN today were misdirected or didn't land normally.
You see the terrorists were busy in the USA but were stopped by the TSA. No one wants to blow up SIN. That's why there is no security.

/s
Boggie Dog likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:55 pm
KDS

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Originally Posted by KDS

I'm sure this is not a sign for the future of TSA's "processes" but Concourse F international arrivals at ATL late afternoon today had PreCheck screening for all US/Canada passport holders. No one was being diverted to MMW, etc. What an unexpected interaction with TSA.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KDS
I'm sure this is not a sign for the future of TSA's "processes" but Concourse F international arrivals at ATL late afternoon today had PreCheck screening for all US/Canada passport holders. No one was being diverted to MMW, etc. What an unexpected interaction with TSA.
This is perfect example of what TSA can do if it wants to do so.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by KDS
Were they using dogs to screen the passengers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.