Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
US/UK Electronics bans discussion

This thread is intended for discussion of how the recent US and UK electronics bans impact travel with discussion.

For more discussion of this topic, please follow the appropriate thread below:

For basic questions, what is/isn't allowed, use this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Practical forum

To discuss the merits of the rules, with the option of political discussion, follow this thread to the Omni-PR forum
(note: there are time/post restrictions for access to Omni)

Political discussion will not be tolerated in this thread.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by shgroamer
Yes, not as concerned with iPads/Laptops, but more so cameras. Kind of upsetting as I was planning on bringing a very nice camera with me on my honeymoon to SE asia. Returning via AUH-JFK.

Maybe shipping & insuring prior to returning and keep the memory card....for photography folks? Still annoying not being able to edit on the UL flights from the middle east.
I definitely plan to remove memory card from the camera before putting the camera into my checked bag.

If forced to choose, I can afford to lose my camera, but not the memories / photos taken from the destination that I may not be back again, if ever
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by markle
There does become a question of proportionality though. If you follow the "but it's safer" argument, we'll all end up being required to fly naked, with no possessions.

Flying is an exceptionally safe form of transportation. The number of terrorist incidents are (thankfully) vanishingly small. Over the past ten years, 225 people have lost their lives in aviation terror attacks globally.

Over the same period, ~290 people drowned in their own bathtub in the UK. Should we be banning bathtubs too, for safety?
And don't forget automobiles !
Thousands of fatalities in a single year in the EU only. An immediate ban should be imposed!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why ludicrous. Manual lenses without electronics are by definition NOT electronics.
There are times when being technically correct matters. Aurgueing with a TSA agent is not one of those time.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
I definitely plan to remove memory card from the camera before putting the camera into my checked bag.

If forced to choose, I can afford to lose my camera, but not the memories / photos taken from the destination that I may not be back again, if ever
I was broken into and had a laptop and external HD stolen once and lost all photos from several trips. Of the over $25K value of items I had stolen, photos were by far the ones that hurt the most, and it wasn't even close.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by justatourist
On the contrary, it would surprise me if the EU followed for one simple reason, one that i keep repeating:

If there is a threat out there, why did the UK cherry pick the list and remove Qatar and UAE? Is it because they know it is bogus and they would face a huge backlash if they went ahead with it?

Like I said before, this move by the UK removes any credibility and urgency to this travel ban.
Even more telling than the removing of the ME3 is removing RAM as how much economic impact would there be from having little old Morocco on the list.

RAM let me switch to connecting in YUL instead of my JFK so it looks like the airlines are trying to make things work out

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:24 pm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by rapidex
The holds all have fire suppression systems which will give ample time to allow a diversion.They do not have explosive suppression systems.
Aircraft do not have fire suppression systems capable of suppressing a self-oxygenating or self-heating fire. They are only able to suppress fires which will be extinguished by displacing oxygen. They do not have significant cooling ability, so they cannot suppress a thermal runaway. That is why oxidisers, peroxides, etc, are classified as hazardous cargo and not permitted in passenger baggage (or as cargo on passenger flights), as well as lithium battery cargo being not permitted in passenger aircraft.

Aircraft hold fire suppression is not effective against lithium battery fires and several cargo flight hull losses and fatalities have resulted from such fires. There is significant risk if such a fire develops in the hold of an aircraft that is not near a diversion airport (such as on an oceanic route).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BThumme
The UK has now followed suit: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971
May's government playing into the hands of Trunp's government? Can't say I'm surprised. Amusingly, the UK was saying the ban can be implemented by carriers whenever they want. Sounds like an advisory rather than a ban given such language. But airline magament is likely to not ignore government advisories of this nature.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Fontana
It wouldn't surprise me if other European countries follow soon (ie. France/Germany, etc). It's clear that there is a threat out there after the Somalia plane incident. For the government to implement this policy, they clearly know that the "bad" people have found a way to bring the laptop through security & cause a disaster. No traveller wants any kind of disaster on a plane. At the end of the day, its there for our safety and we all want to reach our destination.
Next step is that no carry-on baggage at all is allowed anymore and no clothes as well: all pax should undress and check in their clothes before boarding and be x-rayed to check for suspicious devices inside the body and spend nude (or pyjamas provided by the airline) on the plane.

How STUPID they are, I expected from the US but the UK ??? Is the Theresa May administration becoming more and more like the Trump administration after Brexit ?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
"U.S. Airlines not affected" (per CNN)-- despite the fact that the devices go through the same screening in Cairo as, say, EgyptAir. Yeah, this sounds like ........ to drive LUS carrier revenue more than any real security concern.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
"U.S. Airlines not affected" (per CNN)-- despite the fact that the devices go through the same screening in Cairo as, say, EgyptAir. Yeah, this sounds like ........ to drive LUS carrier revenue more than any real security concern.
This thread is about UK, not US ban. However, the reason US carriers are not affected is because they do not have any direct flights between those destinations and USA.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver (exPPS:(, Tesco sad, FR £0.01
Any views how many busines class passengers (who have to carry laptops in hand laggage) would switch from ME3 to other airlines, and thus ME3 carriers would have to slash business class fares in the near future to fill in the cabins?

just thinking about positives if any....

i plan to make a leasure flight to the US next month and dont mind to use J flat beds to sleep on plane rather than clicking laptop buttons ;-)
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mishkira
Any views how many busines class passengers (who have to carry laptops in hand laggage) would switch from ME3 to other airlines, and thus ME3 carriers would have to slash business class fares in the near future to fill in the cabins?

just thinking about positives if any....

i plan to make a leasure flight to the US next month and dont mind to use J flat beds to sleep on plane rather than clicking laptop buttons ;-)
This is the UK ban thread, it affects all airlines with direct flights from the affected countries, not just the locals
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Hmm, there's a rabbit off here. I travel through IST regularly and have far more respect for the security there than I do the goons at LHR.

Given that the liquids ban was temporary and certainly going to be lifted in 2012 I think we can expect this to last but quite frankly I would be more concerned about fires in the hold with lithium batteries than some sort of fake device making it aboard.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
Where does it say all electronic devices? The announcement on the DfT website as linked to on the wiki says "Phones, laptops and tablets".
Wonder what sort of bomb you could get into a camera - or hair dryer - both of which are allowed.

I wonder if you could make a digital camera that creates the power for the next image by mechanical means - like a winding on lever on old cameras?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by NOIR
Has every one just gone nuts? All this mass hysteria because one wont be able to have an electronic gadget for the duration of a flight.

People look around, talk to some one, welcome to the real world, and put the virtual world to rest while traveling.

People use to travel like this for decades, and the world was just fine. For god sake's people use to sail on ships for months, ride horse back for days, and they still survived.

For me it's a breath of fresh air.

Focus more on getting from point A to point B safely.
Well then this will be good for you. While I travel domestically 95% of the time, I would hate to see this "evolve" and expand.

No offense to my fellow travelers, but you're just not that interesting. And to those who are interesting, I often wonder how much of the conversation is truth (most people seem to have far more interesting lives than mine).

Traveling became tolerable for me when I could access the internet and get some work done. I think we're way past two-month ship excursions let alone week-long cattle drives. My breath of fresh air is having a few hours where I can tune the noise out with my QC35s, get caught up on email and finances so when I land, many of the daily distractions are behind me.

Now that smells like fresh air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.