Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
US/UK Electronics bans discussion

This thread is intended for discussion of how the recent US and UK electronics bans impact travel with discussion.

For more discussion of this topic, please follow the appropriate thread below:

For basic questions, what is/isn't allowed, use this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Practical forum

To discuss the merits of the rules, with the option of political discussion, follow this thread to the Omni-PR forum
(note: there are time/post restrictions for access to Omni)

Political discussion will not be tolerated in this thread.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Oh geeze that will go over well. Airlines can't even get pax bags correct, now they are going to be gate checking laptops til arrival?

I can see it now "Excuse me, I didn't have this cheap Lenovo, I had a $3k macbook"

"Sir, there is no macbook left, either it was misplaced or someone else took it, you're going to have to file a claim at the customer service office."
Lol. I guess this creates some job opportunities on the US soil. So these agents will stand outside right at the jetbridge or after immigration/customs - match the name sticker on your laptop to your boarding pass/passport and hand it back to you?

Now, let's add another 30 min to deplane time. Worse if you have connecting flights in US e.g., DOH-LAX-SMF?

Cant see this approach work out, though I am sure QR has good intentions.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Can't wait until a pax pulls out a laptop/iPad during flight to see the reaction of the crew and the resulting diversion of an A380.

Now, this effort by the US3 to hurt the ME3 could really backfire. ME3 could have a few flights stop in Europe to no longer be direct and the not subject to the electronic ban. You would have DXB-AMS-JFK, DXB-ARN-ORD, DXB-LHR-MIA, etc. With full traffic rights on the EU-US segment. Instead of hurting them, this would create another formidable competitor on the EU-US route. Not sure this is what the US3 wanted.
+1

But that probably would not pass muster with the pundits who orchestrated this ban (There would still be on those flights transit passengers from the affected areas) and a regulation can be changed at the stroke of a pen to include flights "with stops" from the designated areas.

What is likely to happen, however, is an afflux of fare sales from the US by the ME3. I always found that, maybe in order not to further alienate the US legacy cartel, the ME3 fare sales were not as aggressive as the European sales.

This being said, devising such a clever discrimination against the ME3 is a stroke of genius. As JK Rawling would write, "Evil but Genius".
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by quillbin
I Seriously Doubt that this will become a "World-Wide Here To Stay Forever" Measure (Like Box Cutters being banned Post 9/11), however it may evolve into, "All Carry On Laptops/iPads/Etc. Must Be swabbed at the gate" for flights bound for the US departing from an airport on the "Naughty List." TSA Checkpoints Stateside are good enough to catch EEDs so Don't expect this to apply to domestic flights.
Yes but trust idiotic airlines' idiot employees to apply the rule without any understanding of it. The Royal Jordanian website already indicates that the measure applies to flights to AND FROM the US...
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gnomey
Lol. I guess this creates some job opportunities on the US soil. So these agents will stand outside right at the jetbridge or after immigration/customs - match the name sticker on your laptop to your boarding pass/passport and hand it back to you?

Now, let's add another 30 min to deplane time. Worse if you have connecting flights in US e.g., DOH-LAX-SMF?

Cant see this approach work out, though I am sure QR has good intentions.
The extra delay at arrival to hand these back will certainly be annoying, but there are certainly ways to make this work. One could be to put restricted items in one of those tamper-proof bags used at duty free, together with a photocopy of the passport photo page. Maybe also add a colored sticker inside the bag to indicate class of travel to prioritize the return process.

In any case I'm certainly glad I made my trip to the US flying on QR last month (PEK-DOH-NYC rtn) ... It certainly adds a layer of complication flying from China, where to my understanding under current CAAC regulations all laptop computers must be carried in carry-on luggage!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
Yes but trust idiotic airlines' idiot employees to apply the rule without any understanding of it. The Royal Jordanian website already indicates that the measure applies to flights to AND FROM the US...
Oh I know they will (PHL is the Mecca of Idiot Airline Employees). But I doubt electronics will be banned on my PHL-LIS flight in June.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: MP
Years ago, I had to "check" my backpack and didn't take my laptop out...dumb mistake on my part. When de-boarding the plane, I watched the worker in the luggage compartment drop my backpack to the guy on the ground. The guy on the ground didn't catch my backpack and it slammed to the ground, damaging my laptop. No, the airline didn't cover the damage at all. That was the last time I checked a laptop and it won't happen again if I can avoid it.

I don't trust those countries on the list. I've had plenty of things go missing in my luggage over the years. Expensive electronics will not be the next thing to go missing from my checked luggage.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Slipless
I hope for big sales on India flights through ME, especially in business class
+1

But that probably would not pass muster with the pundits who orchestrated this ban (There would still be on those flights transit passengers from the affected areas) and a regulation can be changed at the stroke of a pen to include flights "with stops" from the designated areas.

What is likely to happen, however, is an afflux of fare sales from the US by the ME3. I always found that, maybe in order not to further alienate the US legacy cartel, the ME3 fare sales were not as aggressive as the European sales.

This being said, devising such a clever discrimination against the ME3 is a stroke of genius. As JK Rawling would write, "Evil but Genius".
The position of travel has always been that the flight's originating country before entering the US is responsible for security of all passengers and cargo on the plane. Therefore, you cannot just say that a flight that just because a flight had stopped in the ME on a previous leg is subject to these rules. Blanket rules like this cannot be enforced as easily.

But I do think we will see more aggressive business fare sales this year. At some point, businesses will no longer be able to ignore the hundreds of dollars in savings just to let their employee use a laptop during the flight.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by upgNomad
Don't know if this is related to the ban but we were all carded by TSA before being allowed to enter the jet bridge in EWR
arrival or departure from what City?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:47 pm

I wonder how long before making schedule changes to re-route around the affected flights will become "artfully concealing schedule" by DHS.

...which would be plausible...EXCEPT the UK version of the ban also applies to BA.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, DL SkyMiles, B6 TrueBlue, Global Entry
Originally Posted by KRSW
I wonder how long before making schedule changes to re-route around the affected flights will become "artfully concealing schedule" by DHS..
DHS has no control over flights that never touch US Air Space
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: UA/WN/Marriott/SPG/Avis/Hertz
Originally Posted by oopl
arrival or departure from what City?
EWR > ORD
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA GGLfL, ex-EK IO, IC Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador, Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by MeltingAlf
On the other hand I still believe the US ban shoehorned UAE and Qatar in as a protectionist measure, more so than a security one.
I think that is convenient / coincidence TBH. Security screening in DOH, DXB and AUH is woeful with DOH being by far the worst. Is it any wonder that some airlines implement their own screening at the airport?

What I don't get is the following:

Why does hiding the problem deep in a case in the hold make it better than having it scanned individually as part of the PAX security check?

Baffled.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:37 pm

Finally, an article that talks about the real reason behind this ban.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.09d3650c4fdb
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:55 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by techie
According to Reuters: http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-usa...-idUKKBN16R2JV
Better get an iPhone 7 Plus or hope there's something good on the IFE. Imagine paying all that money for 15-17 hours in F from DXB/AUH/DOH and not even a tablet or a laptop.
The proportion of people on any flight that are actually using a tablet or laptop for entertainment is very small. In ~10 years of long haul flying I've only done it one or two times, and walking around the cabin (J & Y) there's only been a handful of people using them.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 12:09 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Skywards Gold, BAEC Silver, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by BarbicanLondon
I have personally raised my concerns about the security at Dubai T1 with the CSD, and Cabin Manager when Mixed Fleet.

And it is not a LOL matter.
I can think of MANY occasions at DXB when staff have not bothered to enforce the laptops out and liquids policy. This has gone on for years and regulars through DXB know this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.