Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 21, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
US/UK Electronics bans discussion

This thread is intended for discussion of how the recent US and UK electronics bans impact travel with discussion.

For more discussion of this topic, please follow the appropriate thread below:

For basic questions, what is/isn't allowed, use this thread in the Travel Safety/Security Practical forum

To discuss the merits of the rules, with the option of political discussion, follow this thread to the Omni-PR forum
(note: there are time/post restrictions for access to Omni)

Political discussion will not be tolerated in this thread.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Electronic Devices Banned on Flights to US & UK from 10 ME Countries

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Priority Club Gold, Herts Pres Circle
Would BA's on Crew iPads also need to be checked in?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by MHendo84
Would BA's on Crew iPads also need to be checked in?
assume so. Crew pass through the same checks as pax, and subject to same rules, eg. Liquids.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
It just feels a bit extreme/fishy. Surely the purpose of airport security is to have scanners that are sufficient to detect such explosive devices. And if they are in the hold but go off how is that better?

Wouldn't surprise if this was some political effort to both impact ME airline global domination (conspiracy theorists unite - Emirates saw 35% drop in bookings with first ban) as well as of course support the anti-islamic effort going on in the US.

One would hope that this is truly the result of intelligence, but then it sounds too broad to be based on "precise" intelligence across so many countries. Then again I also hope the threat doesn't really exist!

In general - what a pain in the <deleted> for travellers, and particularly business travellers who need to work on flights or doing day trips HBO. Insurance typically only covers £2k/item and now you need to put say an expensive or confidential laptop in the hold??

Netjets might do well.....

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 22, 2017 at 1:06 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by YClass
It just feels a bit extreme/fishy. Surely the purpose of airport security is to have scanners that are sufficient to detect such explosive devices. And if they are in the hold but go off how is that better?
The bomber can't activate it if in the hold. Unless on a timer of course.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by techie
All Kindles are wider than 10 cm, so they are banned under this directive.

The US ban affecting DXB is for direct flights only. DXB-LHR-LAX is not a direct flight, so I do not think the ban applies.
Correct if you connect in Europe any dangerous device is no longer a hazard.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Random thought - how will this affect pilots? A lot of airlines issue iPads for cockpit use now.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
The UK has now followed suit: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39343971
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by RCyyz
Random thought - how will this affect pilots? A lot of airlines issue iPads for cockpit use now.
It hasn't been figured out yet.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Some
So whilst the US ban penalises the ME3, the UK version is a pro-ME3 policy as it encourages travellers from CAI and IST to LHR to connect on EK/QR/EY instead!
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: SK Gold, BA Gold
If the reason really is security, then it seems to come at the expense of safety which is new – so far it's always been liberty that we've traded in for security, whether perceived or real.

Remember the Galaxy Note 7s that caught fire, some of them on planes? Had one of those been in the hold, the fire could probably not have been detected or extinguished before getting out of hand.

I'm aware that the Note 7 would still have been allowed in the cabin had this ban been in place then, but the next time those dodgy batteries might well be in a bigger device. If that happens, this ban will cost more lives than I can see it saving.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Pilots and crew are subject to the same restrictions as pax when it comes to liquids, so I would expect them to also be covered by this ban.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
According to the US directives crew are exempt from these restrictions.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: # Neodymium #
Originally Posted by waffle
If the reason really is security, then it seems to come at the expense of safety which is new – so far it's always been liberty that we've traded in for security, whether perceived or real.

Remember the Galaxy Note 7s that caught fire, some of them on planes? Had one of those been in the hold, the fire could probably not have been detected or extinguished before getting out of hand.

I'm aware that the Note 7 would still have been allowed in the cabin had this ban been in place then, but the next time those dodgy batteries might well be in a bigger device. If that happens, this ban will cost more lives than I can see it saving.
indeed.

i can only hope that the inevitable conclusion is NOT true...
that the threat that exists is so real and so credible and so likely, that it is more serious than the risk of fires in the hold, etc.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Read in one of threads/articles that Flight crew are exempted. Cant't find it ATM
Old Mar 21, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by techie
Neither fact sheet on DHS website says anything about exemptions for crew. Do you have a source?
This is the quote from the NY Times which came from homeland security

>>The Department of Homeland Security said the restricted items included laptop computers, tablets, cameras, travel printers and games bigger than a phone. The restrictions would not apply to aircraft crews, officials said in a briefing to reporters on Monday night that outlined the terms of the ban.<<

Last edited by essxjay; Mar 21, 2017 at 1:08 pm Reason: add missing quote tag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.