Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA wants to get more intimate when doing passenger pat downs.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog

There is absolutely no reason to treat the elderly and disabled in such manner. Actually I see no reason that anyone should be treated as depicted in the video.

We can do better than the TSA that we have and as citizens should join forces and demand change, to not be treated like criminals for just wanting to freely travel, to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be acknowledged by TSA that the public should have a voice in screening protocols.
Agree completely. While I've seen worse screening done to wheelchair-bound people, this was especially ridiculous for this very elderly passenger. Abysmal lack of any real threat assessment here. I did notice the high leg search making definite, purposeful contact with this 96-year old's genital area. Way to go!
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:10 pm

There is absolutely no reason to treat the elderly and disabled in such manner. Actually I see no reason that anyone should be treated as depicted in the video.

We can do better than the TSA that we have and as citizens should join forces and demand change, to not be treated like criminals for just wanting to freely travel, to be treated with dignity and respect, and to be acknowledged by TSA that the public should have a voice in screening protocols.
Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Agree completely. While I've seen worse screening done to wheelchair-bound people, this was especially ridiculous for this very elderly passenger. Abysmal lack of any real threat assessment here. I did notice the high leg search making definite, purposeful contact with this 96-year old's genital area. Way to go!
Risk Management = PreCheck
Risk Assessment = Anyone not registered with PreCheck
Old Jun 11, 2018, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Exactly, which details the problem perfectly.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:19 pm

Unfortunately, yes. That's why I paid the $85 for pre check. I have enough windmills in my life. Best $85 I ever spent.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nachtnebel
Unfortunately, yes. That's why I paid the $85 for pre check. I have enough windmills in my life. Best $85 I ever spent.
For those folks using a Venture card they will get one Pre Check fee rebate every 4 years starting today if I remember correctly.

Capital One Venture Rewards Adds Global Entry/TSA PreCheck Rebate

Now the issuer has added another new benefit. Starting Tuesday, June 12, the Capital One Venture Rewards will come with a rebate on either the $100 application fee for Global Entry, or the $85 fee for TSA PreCheck.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:10 pm

For those folks using a Venture card they will get one Pre Check fee rebate every 4 years starting today if I remember correctly.

Capital One Venture Rewards Adds Global Entry/TSA PreCheck Rebate
It would be interesting to know how much TSA is paying Capital One to offer this.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It would be interesting to know how much TSA is paying Capital One to offer this.
They'll be getting $475 in fees on the card over the period where you get at most $100 back.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Your treatment under Pre-Check if you are in a wheelchair varies so widely and wildly as to be functionally useless. Some TSOs give you a very light and limited pat-down, others act as though Pre-Check does not apply at all, and subject you to everything you saw in the video involving the 96-year-old.

I have also noticed that the "wheelchair patdowns" have grown more intrusive in the last year, year and a half. They now pretty consistently lift my top to get at the waistband of my trousers, invariably exposing the lower half of my abdomen for all and sundry to view, leaving it exposed while they check the waistband. At first, I thought it was clumsiness, but it seems pretty clear now that it is a deliberate tactic, and (for a conservative, middle-aged woman such as myself), a fairly humiliating one. Yesterday, my (thin) top was lifted so high, my bra was exposed, much to my mortification. Is this really keeping us safer?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ysolde
Your treatment under Pre-Check if you are in a wheelchair varies so widely and wildly as to be functionally useless. Some TSOs give you a very light and limited pat-down, others act as though Pre-Check does not apply at all, and subject you to everything you saw in the video involving the 96-year-old.

I have also noticed that the "wheelchair patdowns" have grown more intrusive in the last year, year and a half. They now pretty consistently lift my top to get at the waistband of my trousers, invariably exposing the lower half of my abdomen for all and sundry to view, leaving it exposed while they check the waistband. At first, I thought it was clumsiness, but it seems pretty clear now that it is a deliberate tactic, and (for a conservative, middle-aged woman such as myself), a fairly humiliating one. Yesterday, my (thin) top was lifted so high, my bra was exposed, much to my mortification. Is this really keeping us safer?
When something inappropriate happens call them on it. If you are uncomfortable doing it right that moment then complete screening, locate the Checkpoint Manager or Terminal TSM and file a complaint. Try to point out the screener by at least first name.
Not reporting these abuses just allows them to continue. Also report abusive screenings to the ACLU.
petaluma1 likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:02 pm

When something inappropriate happens call them on it. If you are uncomfortable doing it right that moment then complete screening, locate the Checkpoint Manager or Terminal TSM and file a complaint. Try to point out the screener by at least first name.
Not reporting these abuses just allows them to continue. Also report abusive screenings to the ACLU.
I would also file a complaint with the DHS IG here: https://hotline.oig.dhs.gov/hotline/hotline.php Name names if you can. The IG is more responsive than TSA which seems to send most complaints directly to the trash can. And never file a complaint on paper; always file electronically.

That said, however, you must keep a copy of your narrative to the IG complaint or be much more computer savvy than I am to be able to save the IG complaint form.

Boggie Dog is right; not complaining allows these abuses to continue.
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:36 am

Take it from the source, but I don't discount it entirely:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...arly-arrested/

As I begin writing this, my innocent 13 year old little girl is in tears sitting in the terminal at Reagan International Airport. Somewhere back at the TSA checkpoint there is a middle aged woman who has just, in clear view of law enforcement, committed a sexual crime against her, a minor child. I have it all on film.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Take it from the source, but I don't discount it entirely:

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...arly-arrested/
I have great sympathy for this man and his family. I have always considered the full body rubdown with repeated genital contact that TSA euphemistically calls a "pat-down" to be nothing short of a sexual assault. And I consider it a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment, since it is far more extensive and intensive than necessary, in the light of current technology, to detect the presence of weapons or explosives.

However, I also have to roll my eyes somewhat at his somewhat selective outrage. He seems far more incensed over his teenage daughter getting groped by a female TSA than he is about his teenage son being groped by a male TSO. Or about getting groped himself.

To me, these are all equal outrages. No innocent person should be subjected to such treatment absent a warrant, probable cause, or specific articulable suspicion that a crime is being committed.
Spiff and petaluma1 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I have great sympathy for this man and his family. I have always considered the full body rubdown with repeated genital contact that TSA euphemistically calls a "pat-down" to be nothing short of a sexual assault. And I consider it a blatant violation of the 4th Amendment, since it is far more extensive and intensive than necessary, in the light of current technology, to detect the presence of weapons or explosives.

However, I also have to roll my eyes somewhat at his somewhat selective outrage. He seems far more incensed over his teenage daughter getting groped by a female TSA than he is about his teenage son being groped by a male TSO. Or about getting groped himself.

To me, these are all equal outrages. No innocent person should be subjected to such treatment absent a warrant, probable cause, or specific articulable suspicion that a crime is being committed.
The crime is simple, people expecting to travel freely in their own country. TSA doesn't respect the Country, the Constitution, or Civil Rights.
Spiff, iluv2fly and petaluma1 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:39 am

I remember a post from a couple of years back that optimistically predicted that TSA would be gone in by 2018. Well, that didn't materialize and there is no indication
that TSA will be gone anytime soon. Nor do I expect the situation to improve. Bluntly said, I feel it's getting worse quick and that is the scary part because in this case
there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:31 am

Here's another one from yesterday. A woman was forced to remove her sanitary protection:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.